Question on emerge --world
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWhiteKnight
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Question on emerge --world Reply with quote

Ok. Here is the scenario. I have a gentoo box fully configured.and working... well pretty good. I have a few issues with start up like I think my ALSA is doing some funky stuff, but it works. Currently I am trying to fix this problem, and a few other minor problems. I don't even have any DVD burning utilities emerged yet, I want to get everything running smoothly first.

I just emerged --sync and updated all of my packages. I guess I have a TON of stuff that needs updated, however, most of the x11 packages are blocked. How can I update my system without screwing kde or anything else up? Do I have to physically unmerge x11 to update world? Forgive me for being so well stupid on this, but sometimes the documentation and search features on here are a little difficult. There should be options with emerge --world like -uDve, I don't know.

How are you supposed to update your system when packages are blocking them and is it actually WORTH taking the chance of screwing something up? Updating to the new version of x11 means having to recompile the entire thing again right? Will that effect my current installation of KDE or flux? Will they need recompiled as well? Any info / advice is as always greatly apprecaited. I won't emerge --world now, not at least until I get everything smoothed out on my PC with the ALSA sound. :)

Thanks in advance.

- Josh
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is because modular xorg is now in portage - there are many posts on how to upgrade....

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
repolho
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frodg wrote:
I believe this is because modular xorg is now in portage - there are many posts on how to upgrade....

There's also this howto in the documentation.
TheWhiteKnight wrote:
Updating to the new version of x11 means having to recompile the entire thing again right? Will that effect my current installation of KDE or flux? Will they need recompiled as well?

Yes, it means having to recompile the entire thing. Good thing is, with modular X, you will only compile what you really need.
I think it will not affect KDE or fluxbox at all. But you should keep them updated too.
They will only need to be recompiled if you are going to update them too. If you are just updating X, then no.

First you should perform an
Code:
emerge -upv world

Then solve individually the blocked packages issues. When there are no more blocked packages you can run it
Code:
emerge -u world

I don't think you need an emerge -uDe world.
Rustylinux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question here but what does emerge -world do agian ?
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it emerges the world. :)
if you want to update you should do something like emerge -uDN world or so.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
See here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-446362.html

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: