View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
latz-twn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Enlight your desktop with Enlightenment DR16 Reply with quote

HOWTO: Enlight your desktop with Enlightenment DR16

1. Introduction

This Enlightenment HOWTO is my first HOWTO I've ever posted on gentoo forums. I am a big reader of the gentoo forums, and I check them nearly every day. The forum I found most intersting during the past 2 years of using gentoo has always been the Documentation, Tips & Tricks forum. On this occasion I want to thank the gentoo developers for gentoo and to all you guys posting in the forum for giving such a great support. Gentoo is so far the best user supported distribution I have seen and I really happy with that. Well but now let's get started.
I've been using fluxbox until now because I wanted simplicity and the power of customizablity! Well and a few days ago I first tried Enlightenment and I am amazed by it. It's a brilliant Window Manager which combines a few very import aspects :

• felxablity
  • robustness
  • simplicity
  • high configurabilty
  • graphically rich

So if you like having a nice niffty window manager to work in then try Enlightenment.

Enlightenment has been first released in 1997 by Carsten *Rasterman* Haitzler and it's elease revolutionized the face of desktops on UNIX platforms and beyond, featuring a more graphically stimulating enviroment than ever previously seen on a conventional desktop. Since that time the window manager has been emulated and has driven the graphical appeal we see on desktops everywhere. In 2000, the latest major release occured with the release of DR16.0, a release that remains in heavy usage today. In 2003 Kim "kwo" Woelders took over management of the DR16 codebase and released DR16.6, improving opon the window manager and modernizing its dependencies, and even now the DR16 window manager has a long life ahead of itself, even after the release of DR17.

I based this HOWTO on DR16 because DR17 is still in high development although there are CVS ebuilds available for it already. But as there are still many problems with the ebuilds, and sometimes the CVS Code isn't compiling I decided to use and to write about DR16.

For this HOWTO it is supposed that you have a fully working Xorg installtion on your machine, and use gentoo's Portage.

2. Main Installation

The Installation of Enlightenment is farily easy with gentoo, as we can use the power of emerge.
First of all let's compile & install Enlightenment WM first.
Code:

emerge -av enlightenment

Another very useful thing to emerge is edox-data, which is basically a startup documentation and more to help you getting started using enlightenment! It explains for instance how to operate with the mouse in enlightenment and what options you have. Enlightenment makes a lot of use of keyboard and mouse combinations! Which are sometimes very powerful to use. So go ahead and
Code:

emerge -av edox-data

As Enlightenment doesn't use ASCII config files but binary config files instead. The config files are enlightenment Data Base files which can be read and manipulated with a toolkit package called edb I strongly suggest you to get this as well.
Code:

emerge -av edb

That's everything for the main installtion, you can now go ahead and restart your Xorg and load Enlightenment by either doing starte16 or selecting the Enlightenment Session in your Graphical Login Manager.

3. First start

When you first fire up Enlightenment it creates your User Menu automatically, which you can always regenerate again! During this generation Enlightenment looks for all available and known X11, Kde, Gnome, Other GUI Programs that you have installed and creates entries in your User Menu.Your desktop should look something like this.

Desktop explained
On the top of your screen you have the so called Dragbar. It's main purpose is dragging desktops arround, so if you have desktop 0 and desktop 1 you could drag desktop 0 into desktop 1 when you are on desktop 1. Note: this only works when you have more than 1 desktop!

On the bottom-left you have Pager which shows you your desktops and what's on them!

On the bottom-right you have Iconbox. When you minize a window it's beeing minized into the Iconbox where you will see a little "screenshot" of that program, and they are identified by notify messages when you move over them with your mouse cursor.

Mouse actions

• Left Mouse clicking on the desktop background will bring the user Menu with various entries of various programs that you have installed. You can leave this menu opend (leave it "sticky") if you hold Left Mouse Button and releasing it on the title of the menu of a submenu.
  • Middle Mouse clicking on the desktop background will display Enlightenment's main menu. Here you can access the other menus plus more options like Settings & Configuration. Sticky works the same here just with the middle mouse.
  • Left Mouse clicking on the desktop background brings up the main configuration menu, where you can set up How windows behave, special Effects, Virtual Desktops, Multiple Desktops, ....
  • ALT + Left Mouse clicking on a Window will enable you to move the window the same way as if you would do Left Mouse pressing on the title bar.
  • ALT + Middle Mouse clicking on a Window will enable you to resize the window in the same way you would resize a window using a left mouse click on the leftmost buttom margin.
  • ALT + Middle Mouse clicking on the desktop background will bring up a title list of active application windows. By using CTRL instead you will get a title list of all active applications on the current desktop. By selecting an application in that list will bring that application to the front.
  • Wheel-Mouse will scroll through the desktops.
  • Right Mouse click on a title of a window will give you options such as remembering the current position of an application so the next time you start that application it will appear on the same position.

Keyboard actions

• Shift+ALT + (Right arrow or Left arrow) to navigate through your virtual desktops.
  • CRTL+ALT + (Right arrow or Left arrow) to navigate through your desktops.
  • CRTL+ALT + K kill current on focus application.
  • CRTL+ALT + Home shuffle windows on screen to be clean. (funny)

For more information consult the edox which we already installed. It's a very helpful guide if you want to know more, and if you want to do more with your enlightenment. To see the documentation just open up a console and type
Code:

edox /usr/share/enlightenment/E-docs/

4. Changing menus

To change menus in enlightenment there are two ways to do it. The hard way, or the easy-use-a-gui way. The hard way is going into your ~/.enlightenment/ directory and editing the files yourself. But that's really straight forward and easy to do.
Basically the main Menu is stored in the file file.menu, just open it and then you see the syntax which is pretty easy to understand. Every submenu is stored in a subdirectory holding a index.menu which again holds information about the applications you want to start. Here's my files.menu and one index.menu file for example, I haven't finished my whole menu yet how I want it to be.

file.menu
Code:

"User Menus"
"aTerm" NULL    exec    "aterm"
"Enlightenment Epplets" NULL    menu    "epplets.menu"
"Network"       NULL    menu    "menus_Network/index.menu"
"KDE"   NULL    menu    "menus_KDE/index.menu"
"GNOME" NULL    menu    "menus_GNOME/index.menu"
"Other" NULL    menu    "menus_Other/index.menu"
"Restart Enlightenment" NULL    exec    "eesh -e 'restart'"
"Log Out"       NULL    exec    "eesh -e 'exit'"

menus_Network/index.menu
Code:

"Network"
"Firefox"       /usr/share/pixmaps/mozicon16.xpm        exec    "firefox"
"Licq"  /usr/kde/3.3/share/icons/default.kde/16x16/apps/licq.png        exec    "licq"
"RealPlayer 10" /home/latz/.enlightenment/icons/realplay.png    exec    "realplay"
"Chat"  NULL    menu    "menus_Internet/chat/index.menu"
"Browsers"      NULL    menu    "menus_Internet/browsers/index.menu"
"FileTransfer"  NULL    menu    "menus_Internet/filetransfer/index.menu"

The easy way is using the e16menuedit, which is also available in the gentoo portage. So just go ahead and emerge e16menuedit
Code:

emerge e16menuedit

and start e16menuedit.

5. Changing Keybindings

You can change your keybindings as well, by copying keybinding.cfg to your home .enlightenment/ directory and editing it. This file can be found in /usr/share/enlightenment/config/.
Code:

cp /usr/share/enlightenment/config/keybindings.cfg ~/.enlightenment/
nano -w ~/.enlightenment/keybindings.cfg

There is a gui for changing the keybindings aswell, it's called e16keyedit and is also available in gentoo's portage, so
Code:

emerge e16keyedit

and start e16keyedit.

6. Installing Thmes

You will find a bunch of good themes on http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/60/ to install them is pretty easy. Just download the file, decompress them and mv them into ~/.enlightenment/themes/. Here an example with aada's Aqua Theme, which is a MacOS X Inspired Theme, Execute as same user as you are using for your enlightenment session. Note: for most themes you don't need to create a new directory, but remember every theme has to be in a seperate subdirectory in .enlightenment/themes/

Code:

cd
mkdir .enlightenment/themes/aqua
mv ~/aqua_-DR16.tar .enlightenment/themes/aqua/
cd .enlightenment/themes/aqua/
tar xvf aqua_-DR16.tar
rm aqua_-DR16.tar

Now restart Enlightenment and you can select the theme by doing Middle Mouse click on the desktop background.

Here a list of sites where to find E16 Themes (i will add more if I find more) :

7. Final words

I am not going into making enlightenment even nicer, maybe later, but here just a few hints. There are so called epplets, which are little dock apps for enlightenment, there is an ebuild for that as well. Another really nice thing to install is engage, which is a MacOS X like Program bar.

Thanks for reading my HOWTO, I hope it was useful and easy to understand for you.
Cya
LinuxCounter: #353618

Last edited by latz-twn on Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

well-written introduction. But there's something I don't like: there are no really good themes. Freshmeat is the only archive which has some e16 themes. But I think all of them suck more or less. The most look like a as when they were 3 years old theme. Aqua is an exception.

Bye,
latz-twn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks first of all! :D

With the themes you are actually right, my favourite theme so far is winter. But do you know any other site with a good index of themes for E16? If so I could add it to the HOWTO...

Thanks in advance
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two themes look quite nice: http://jp.bizet.free.fr/themes/e.html
latz-twn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx a lot re-nice, I've added them to the HOWTO!
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice how to. Thanks for that.

cheers

SteveB

Last edited by steveb on Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllTom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Enlight your desktop with Enlightenment DR16 Reply with quote

latz-twn wrote:
It's a brilliant Window Manager which combines a few very import aspects :

• felxablity

Gotta have the felxabilty. ;)

Very good introduction you have here. I wish I'd known all this when I first tried Enlightenment. :)
latz-twn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Enlight your desktop with Enlightenment DR16 Reply with quote

AllTom wrote:
Very good introduction you have here. I wish I'd known all this when I first tried Enlightenment. :)

That's exactly why I wrote this, because it is kind of hard to find stuff about enlightenment on the web! The next thing I want to write about is DR17! But only once it has become really useable! Because atm, I have it running, but there are so many things that really annoy me! Just for a little example that you don't have an iconbar! Well I suppose I could use engage to do that! But there are many other things which haven't been implemented yet! So that's probably why I will stick to DR16 for a while now!

Well thx of course for your replies! :)
latz-twn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who thinks that this how-to can go wiki?
COiN3D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latz-twn: I have a question. Do you know whether I can change on which mouse button which menu should open? For example, I'd prefer it to open the applications-menu with a right click, like in fluxbox.

Do you know whether this is possible?
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latz-twn wrote:

I do. In fact, would it be possible for us to set up An Unofficial Enlightenment User's Manual at wikibooks.org featuring your content as a starting point? I've always thought the theming guide/etc needed to be documented more comprehensively...and I think wikibooks.org is the place. I was planning on starting this book up sometime soon -- covering the basics of installation and configuration of both e16 and e17...so whaddya say?
latz-twn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, jnx I find it actually a brilliant idea and I would love to help writing it! Sorry I was busy the last few days as I played Half Life 2, brilliant Game i am really amazed by it! Really looking forward to the mass of Multiplayer Mods.

Ehum first of just send me a pm with your Icq and stuff! so we can talk to each other a bit easier! Cyas
vrln
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jxn wrote:
latz-twn wrote:

I do. In fact, would it be possible for us to set up An Unofficial Enlightenment User's Manual at wikibooks.org featuring your content as a starting point? I've always thought the theming guide/etc needed to be documented more comprehensively...and I think wikibooks.org is the place. I was planning on starting this book up sometime soon -- covering the basics of installation and configuration of both e16 and e17...so whaddya say?

What's the point in re-inventing the wheel? (regarding E17 installation and configuration, not E16). We already have a 30 page guide translated into 8 languages, and can easily add/rewrite anything that's missing/lacking something (feedback is welcome - I'm not aware of anything missing right now though). I also think everything in one central location would be better.

If your referring to the E17 theming guide that used to be on get-e a while, it was nowhere even near complete, which is why we took it down. If you want to write one for us (the problem is that not many people know Edje well enough to write it, I sure don't), that would be great, as the current author doesn't have much time for it. We are always looking for new staff who have something important to contribute to the project.
Sheepdogj15
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sweet. it seems to work so far. Elightenment is a bit confused which monitor is my main one (i have multiple monitors)... [edit to add] Nope, it's just me who is confused :lol: [end edit]... and i have to get my mouse buttons back the way i want them, but otherwise i like what i see so far.

so much to monkey with, so little time!
NightTwix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your article!
i just installed e16 and your tips was exactly what i was looking for.

I especially missed the window resizing feature. I used this heavily under xfce
oh, and of course engage looks nice but need lots of ~ :o

EDIT:

btw

i'm not able to start engage -> https://forums.gentoo.org/posting.php?mode=quote&p=2555489&sid=4e0758717e430c6ff12febbbc195fe5b
maybe the actual version in portage (0.0.9.20050220) doesnt work with e16?
dwblas
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit confusing:
Left Mouse clicking on the desktop background will bring the user Menu
Left Mouse clicking on the desktop background brings up the main configuration menu
One of those is a typo. Emerging now.
tecknojunky
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwblas wrote:
Left Mouse clicking on the desktop background brings up the main configuration menu
I don't know exactly what is meant by the "configuration menu" as there is no such thing per say in enlightenment. It should either be... Right Mouse clicking on the desktop background brings up the settings menu; or... Middle Mouse clicking on the desktop background brings up the main menu
frozenJim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COiN3D wrote:
Do you know whether I can change on which mouse button which menu should open? For example, I'd prefer it to open the applications-menu with a right click, like in fluxbox.

What you are describing is part of theming. If you use the Aqua theme then the mouse-clicks do one thing, if you use the BlueSteel theme they do something entirely different. With a bit of playing, you can learn to edit your themes to do whatever you like. Otherwise, just choose a theme that does what you like and you're all set.

dwblas wrote:
This is a bit confusing:
Left Mouse clicking on the desktop background will bring the user Menu
One of those is a typo. Emerging now.

3-button clicks:
    Left Click: User Menu
    Middle-Click: Super Menu (includes User Menu as first item)
    Right-Click: Settings Menu

If ya don't have a 3-button mouse:
    CTL-Left-Click: Super Menu (includes User Menu as first item)

But again, once you get going with Enlightenment, you will soon build custom menus anyhow. Heck, that's the awsome part of Enlightenment - it is entirely up to you to make it into the perfect desktop.
demon3x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use

emerge -av edb

It asks me which one to choose

app-emacs/edb
dev-db/edb

I chose the last one, hope thats right
dellaxim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

demon3x wrote:
When I use

emerge -av edb

It asks me which one to choose

app-emacs/edb
dev-db/edb

I chose the last one, hope thats right

yep, that is right mate, the other one for text editor emacs.
bytenirvana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

I followed your guide, restarted, and typed starte16, but enlightenment doesn't find my display. how can I solve this?
nico_calais
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your .xinitrc, add :

Code:
exec e16

And type :

Code:
startx

bytenirvana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes this works. thx
However if I want to start a DE with startkde or starte16 I get the error message $display is not set.

enlightenment is very good. At first I thought it would be to "heavy" for my little Laptop but it works flawlessly.
dylan_stark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do enable/turn on this engage/edb?
I'm using e16.
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event that this subject is still read --I note the last date is 2006!

I use e16 all the time and wouldn't change, but I do miss a direct command line such as that given in kde by alt+f2. It means I must always open up a terminal if I want a command that is not in one of my menus (which I like to keep small)

Does anyone know of an applet or other way of implementing this ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: