Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should X 7.1 still be testing only because of closed source drivers (ati/nvidia)?
Yes!
55%
 55%  [ 254 ]
No!
37%
 37%  [ 172 ]
I don't care!
6%
 6%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 454

micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

why not let ati/nvidia binary drivers depend on <=virtual/x11-7.0? Even if x11-7.1 is stable it wouldn't be installed while the driver is (in case portage can handle it).

Cheers
mic
tamran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Set it "stable" but put blockers in Reply with quote

enderandrew wrote:
tamran wrote:
This is essentially how it is done, the presence of nvidia-drivers and ati-drivers blocks the installation of xorg 7.1. I don't see anything wrong with that. Although, the complaints might be many.

I'm using ATI with the 200m on my laptop, which has pretty useless binary drivers anyways.

I have a 200m on an Athlon-XP laptop I got recently and I'm not sure which drivers to use for it.

I did a post regarding this video card on another topic which may help. Check out my response at:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-63116-start-675.html

I listed a few options of what I've tried to get things working. Nothing hardware accelerated has been very good as of yet.

Regards,

Tamran
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drive Reply with quote

oKtosiTe wrote:
By the way your GIF avatar is non-free too, isn't it?

I made the 3D-plots myself with an opensource plot tool (R, octave, gnuplot, can't remember which) and combined them to an animated gif using the gimp.

If the animated gif format is non-free, then yes my avatar is non-free. If not, it isn't!
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I've been thinking about this for some time... and wondered about something:

What is the true meaning of x86/~x86/hard-masked?

you could say that:
x86 = package is stable
~x86 = package is unstable
hard-masked = package is dangerous
blocker = packages are incompatible
but it's a bit vague in the end

but it seems there are two PoV in the end:
PoV 1: "package-centric"
x86 = package is judged stable by itself (i.e each component provided in the package works)
~x86 = package is judged unstable by itself (i.e mostly works. e.g evdev is reported to be broken)
hard-masked = package may have ill side-effects (i.e installing it might break my system. e.g jdk-1.5 breaks other package building)
blocker = installing package will prevent other package from working

PoV 2: "system-centric"
x86 = package is judged stable system-wise (i.e installing it won't break my system)
~x86 = package is judged unstable system-wise (i.e installing it might break my system, e.g ati/nv driver is incompatible)
hard-masked = package may have ill side-effects (i.e installing it might break my system. e.g jdk-1.5 breaks other package building)

personnally, I'm in PoV2: when I install anything x86, I seriously expect nothing to break anywhere in my system. package.keyword allows me to pull in only some packages and take some risks (whether I know it won't break or not). so I voted "stay in ~x86".
on the other end (PoV1), blocker is a solution, but only because fglrx is pulled via xorg-x11 VIDEO_CARDS feature (if it was but a dependency one way or the other, it wouldn't work: think of a fresh install).
maybe this is clearly defined somewhere in a gentoo handbook, but I can't remember seeing anything but "~x86=unstable". clarifications (and unification throughout portage) would be welcome.

I feel it really has nothing to do with closed-source drivers in the end, but the semantics we attach to x86/~x86.

or maybe not. if this was not for closed-source, the discussion wouldn't even take place and 7.1 would stay ~x86 without a fuss. I'm sure of it.

I like open-source. really. I hope r300 will do a nice job and wish them the best of luck, but r200 only begins to support major features for cards 5+ years old... so sometimes you have to go closed-source. It's not that bad in the end, it's a compromise between a NDA world and an opensource world. frankly I'm sick of people going "closed-source is evil", we should be happy to receive linux support at all for those high-end cards. I even wish sometimes there's more of it: more vendor drivers, easier linux, more linux users, more open-source...

now I'll return to my work which needs opengl 2.0 under linux, on my laptop that won't suspend properly without fglrx.
complexity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pov2 sounds what i perfer as well.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drive Reply with quote

R!tman wrote:
oKtosiTe wrote:

I made the 3D-plots myself with an opensource plot tool (R, octave, gnuplot, can't remember which) and combined them to an animated gif using the gimp.
IIRC, the patent on the GIF format has expired. Speak to a lawyer to be certain though! ;)

Edit: Upon more specific research, it was the patent on the LZW compression algorithm that the GIF format uses to store the image data.

Last edited by codergeek42 on Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drive Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
R!tman wrote:
oKtosiTe wrote:

IIRC, the patent on the GIF format has expired. Speak to a lawyer to be certain though! ;)

This is correct.
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloeki wrote:

but it seems there are two PoV in the end:
PoV 1: "package-centric"
x86 = package is judged stable by itself (i.e each component provided in the package works)
~x86 = package is judged unstable by itself (i.e mostly works. e.g evdev is reported to be broken)
blocker = installing package will prevent other package from working

PoV 2: "system-centric"
x86 = package is judged stable system-wise (i.e installing it won't break my system)
~x86 = package is judged unstable system-wise (i.e installing it might break my system, e.g ati/nv driver is incompatible)

The only distro that I know which provides your PoV 2 is Debian Stable. Gentoo does not have the resources to test packages to this degree, so PoV 1 is what is provided. If you seriously need this level of stability then Debian Stable is the right tool for you.
gregf
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Complexity posted under a buddies account last nite by mistake.... Very happy with gentoo myself just saying pov2 would be nice although i don't want thinks to move so slow that were at Debians pace either. In no way complaining though love gentoo.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: X.Org 7.1 and Gentoo Release Policy Reply with quote

Split from discussion here.

Essentially, I'd like to start a debate (a polite one if possible) about the wisdom of releasing xorg 7.1 to ~x86 given that the developers had already discussed the consequences for users of closed source drivers, and fully knew it would break a lot of desktops.

Anyone is welcome to join in. I'm particularly interested in hearing from any of the developers who can expain the thinking behind this decision, and since this seems to me out of keeping with past gentoo policy, I would also like to know if this represents a change in the intended role of ~x86.

I think this needs to be debated publically.
R.I.P.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.
closed-source nvidia and ati drivers are blocking with xorg 7.1, at least it was so when i've tried to update xorg a month ago (now i've masked 7.1 until new drivers are released).
I think this is reasonable. There are always some packages that are mutually exclusive and there is nothing bad with it.
I do not think it is reasonable not to allow the users which have other video cards to test it for a while.
PaveQ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: X.Org 7.1 and Gentoo Release Policy Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:

Essentially, I'd like to start a debate (a polite one if possible) about the wisdom of releasing xorg 7.1 to ~x86 given that the developers had already discussed the consequences for users of closed source drivers, and fully knew it would break a lot of desktops.

Anyone is welcome to join in. I'm particularly interested in hearing from any of the developers who can expain the thinking behind this decision, and since this seems to me out of keeping with past gentoo policy, I would also like to know if this represents a change in the intended role of ~x86.

Well I think ~arch should not be used by normal desktops. Whole purprose of ~arch is to be testing, and things can be expected to break sometimes.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: X.Org 7.1 and Gentoo Release Policy Reply with quote

PaveQ wrote:
Well I think ~arch should not be used by normal desktops. Whole purprose of ~arch is to be testing, and things can be expected to break sometimes.

Very true, and fair enough so far as it goes. But I think we need to consider a few more factors here.

Specifically, I'd like to know why the unmasking happened when the devs knew in advance that the change woud break modular X desktops running nvidia and ati. I'd like to know if this represents a change from the general practice of trying to deliver a working solution that seems to have been operation for the four years I've been using gentoo, and of so, what the new policy is, and the thinking behind the change.

And I'd like to know what it was hoped would be gained by this exercise, and why it was considered important enough to to put a sizeable portion of their users to needless inconvenience.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't that quite the issue that is already being discussed in X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drivers??
If so, i'll merge it and you probably already have a lot of opinions to read. ;)
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
Maybe i'm mistaken, but isn't that quite the issue that is already being discussed in X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drivers??

mmm... I did see the topic, and had a quick scan. It looked to me to be discussing whether the 7.1 should be unmasked for x86, while I'd like to discuss why it didn't stay hardmasked until driver were available for the two most common video cards.

I thought there was enough difference in intent to warrant a separate thread, but if you think this would be better merged, I won't object particularly

[Edit]

After reading slightly further into the thread, I think I agree with you. By all means merge this one in

Last edited by boroshan on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P. wrote:
hmmm.
closed-source nvidia and ati drivers are blocking with xorg 7.1, at least it was so when i've tried to update xorg a month ago (now i've masked 7.1 until new drivers are released).
I think this is reasonable.

mmm... the problem lay in the execution though.. The trouble is that package block conflicts are fairly common with ~x86 and rather went into autopilot. Basically I uninstalled blocking package, and then re-ran emerge -avuD world, expecting to it emerge correctly. This is (as far as I know) fairly standard procedure for blocking packages, and not generally controvertial.

In this case, of course, what happened was that 7,1, no longer blocked, installed itself. Then, still with nothing to indicate the cause of the problem, I re-installed the ati drivers, and lo! my desktop booteth not.

After that, it all went rather downhill and I wound up rebuiding from scratch. Overall it cost me too weeks - most of it development time, about three days of it annual leave. I was rather upset.

If the blocking had its intended effect (and I was far from the only caught like this) then I'd say fair enough. But it didn't.

R.I.P. wrote:
There are always some packages that are mutually exclusive and there is nothing bad with it.
I do not think it is reasonable not to allow the users which have other video cards to test it for a while.

Agreed there too. And I'm not suggesting that anyone be prohibited from using 7.1 - just that it should have been kept hardmasked until drivers were available for the two most widely used graphics chipsets were available. I think that's entirely reasonable. Heaven knows, there are packages masked for stranger reasons.

So that's why I would like to know the thinking behind this release. Was it an honest mistake - like "whoops, we didn't think that a lot of our users would just uninstall the blockers and continue", or was it (as some on the support threads like to suggest) a deliberate ploy to pressure ATI and NVidia?

Maybe I allowed my upset at the breakage to colour my judgement here - it can be hard to tell. Things certainly were not helped by the fact that I'd spent the previous week rebuilding everything in the wake of the GCC 4.1 fiasco, but at least we got an "oops, sorry" for that one.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken, it seems to be quite the opposite view of the same problem. The other thread may still have a lot of points that are interesting for you.

Anyway, the problem (or part of the problem) is that x86 and amd64 are already lagging behind the release cycle - 7.1 is already stable on other platforms. As someone who doesn't use those cards / binary drivers, i feel rather as annoyed that i need to unmask otherwise stable packages just because the binary drivers aren't ready yet. ;)

As for the role of ~arch etc, i don't think there have been significant changes. In theory it could be stabled if it wasn't for all those users of binary drivers. One could (and please let's not do that) even argue that upstream (read: nvidia and ati) is unresponsive and dump binary drivers at all so 7.1 could go stable (with non binary free and slow 3d drivers of course).
One could of course also argue that binary drivers are that important, that 7.1 may not be in ~arch before they release it, at the cost of all those people not depending on those drivers anyway.
In any of these two scenarios, at least one group of people really has to suffer the consequences.
Moving it to ~arch is an acceptable compromise for both parties - if you want 7.1 because you don't need binary drivers, you can unmask it easily, if you run a full ~arch system with binary drivers you should have the skills to mask it yourself, too.

Of course the best solution would be if nvidia and ati finally released their binary drivers - or even better some specs that their users need to wait for them to finish it.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd reply as you replied in the meanwhile as well. ;)

As far i understand you run a ~arch system - in this case and especially if you want to rely on it, i would really advise you to read the GWN regularly and probably also subscribe to the gentoo-dev mailing list. I think that could cut down the number of unpleasant surprises. The other option would of course be running a stable system and only unmasking packages you want to have from ~arch.

PS: merged topics.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boroshan wrote:
just that it should have been kept hardmasked until drivers were available for the two most widely used graphics chipsets were available.

You deny the existance of the open source drivers? They may not provide all the features of the closed source drivers, but simply saying they don't exist is a bit much (I'm using the nv driver here for several month here, don't really miss anything from the nvidia drivers).
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:

You deny the existance of the open source drivers?

No, and I do apologise if I inadvertantly gave that impression. Were you really confused as to my meaning?
Genone wrote:

They may not provide all the features of the closed source drivers

Well, quite.
Genone wrote:

(I'm using the nv driver here for several month here, don't really miss anything from the nvidia drivers).

I don't really suppose I would either. I'm not sure how the radeon driver works with a dual head laptop configuration, but since wine seems to be refusing to run my games at the moment I can't think of anything for which I actually need the closed source drivers.

The thing is though, I had the closed source drivers installed from an earlier time when I could play FPS games under wine and I wanted the 3D accelleration. After it all went pear-shaped, I did try to use the closed drivers, but by then my system was such a mess that they didn't work either.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
boroshan wrote:
just that it should have been kept hardmasked until drivers were available for the two most widely used graphics chipsets were available.

You deny the existance of the open source drivers? They may not provide all the features of the closed source drivers, but simply saying they don't exist is a bit much (I'm using the nv driver here for several month here, don't really miss anything from the nvidia drivers).

besides there's light at the end of the tunnel for nVidia owners
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

also Intel just announced at OLS that they will provide day 0 open source drivers and documentation for all their chipsets, graphics chips and wifi chips so a fully free solution is on the roadmap.
boroshan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
As far i understand you run a ~arch system -

I used to. I needed unstable a few years back when ~x86 was the only way to get NPTL working. It never gave me any particular bother (I understand that occasional breakage is the price of ~x86) until this occasion.
amne wrote:
in this case and especially if you want to rely on it, i would really advise you to read the GWN regularly and probably also subscribe to the gentoo-dev mailing list.

Generally I do read LWN. I saw the one saying Modular X was ready for ~x86 and urging people to try it out, for example. I didn't see any warning of impending issues with 7.1. I don't read the mailing list though, which would have alerted me to the issues. Maybe I should start.
amne wrote:
I think that could cut down the number of unpleasant surprises. The other option would of course be running a stable system and only unmasking packages you want to have from ~arch.

Agreed. This is a work machine and has to be stable. If I lose too much time to fixing build problems, I'll probably be told to scrub the Linux partitions and use Windows like everyone else. So when I eventually rebuilt from scratch, I built it as x86.

I suppose, having had a chance to vent a little, things aren't quite so bad as they seemed when I started my third week of endless rebuilds. I do still find one thing disturbing however, and that's the fact that a number of developers seem to have voted because they wanted to place pressure on nvidia and ati, or just because they don't like closed source drivers.

Now, I'll cheerfully conceed that the devs must vote as they think best, and I'm not trying to claim that my criteria are intrinsically superior to those of anyone else. What does bother me is this looks a lot like placing a higer value on political correctness than it does on working desktops. And while I wouldn't say that Gentoo's social contract or the principles of Free Software were unimportant to me, I don't think it's worth breaking working installations just to make an abstract political point with no practical payoff.

I also think that perhaps this is more a case of goal displacement - where an organisation loses track of the original aim - rather than anyone acting from motives that were in any way unworthy. All the same, I'd hate to see those priorities become the prevalent ones among the developer community.

And I think that's probably my two cents worth on the subject.
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only distro that I know which provides your PoV 2 is Debian Stable. Gentoo does not have the resources to test packages to this degree, so PoV 1 is what is provided. If you seriously need this level of stability then Debian Stable is the right tool for you.

No it's not, it has no use flags.
I don't want x86 to be the full-fledged tested debian stable repo, I just want it not to cause major havoc, especially when breakage is obviously known to occur. There's big difference between a approximately tested package where a bug eventually slipped through and willingly marking something stable with obvious and known consequences of breakage. especially when some gentoo users are not über-techies. yes, the casual gentoo desktop user exists, the very one that needs X to work.
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
also Intel just announced at OLS that they will provide day 0 open source drivers and documentation for all their chipsets, graphics chips and wifi chips so a fully free solution is on the roadmap.

Unfortunately Intel graphics chips aren't remotely in the same class as nVidia cards, so for those that need fast graphics cards for whatever reason, it wouldn't so much be a solution as a problem.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archangel1 wrote:
playfool wrote:

Unfortunately Intel graphics chips aren't remotely in the same class as nVidia cards, so for those that need fast graphics cards for whatever reason, it wouldn't so much be a solution as a problem.

It still means that most laptops are likely to work better and I'm quite sure the Intel solution performs at least on par with say the r300 driver in X.org but is more widely available. We can also hope that this sets a precidence for other companies, now that AMD and ATI are merging we could hope that ATI might be more Linux friendly, they have cooperated well with us in the past to bring support for their CPUs at least.

Regardless you can't possibly consider it bad news that we finally get something we've asked for for a long time, free drivers and specs for modern graphic cards (remember they are doing day 0 support so if they bring out something new we have support, no matter what, hopefully they'll do some performant cards in the near future)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: