Portage on SGI/IRIX (Portix?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srcshelton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Portage on SGI/IRIX (Portix?) Reply with quote

I've been toying with using Portage as a secondary package manager on IRIX for some time now, but the old Portage's very limited alternative-root support meant that I didn't get very far.

Now that Portage 2.1 has been released, I've had much more luck - with ROOT=/usr/gentoo and PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT=/usr/gentoo - in getting Portage to work correctly, and as a non-root user! Infact, I can now "emerge --sync", "emerge --metadata", and "emerge -pv" and "emerge -f" a package - and all work :D

This required a few hacks to ensure that the value of ROOT wasn't forgotten, and some items (such as DISTDIR) don't seem to have the default values that make.conf suggests they do (for example, if DISTDIR isn't manually specified, it defaults to "/").

(I really should diff my lib/portage directory with the stock one, to find out exactly what I've done...)

I guess that the next step is to work out a sane "default-irix" profile. If anyone has any suggestions for how to best approach this (clone the default-darwin profile and change where necessary?) then any assistance is appreciated.

If anyone wants to have a play with what I've built so far, then I've packed it all into a tarball that will recreate /usr/gentoo. You can download this from here: http://files.irix-tools.homeunix.net/irix/portix.tar.bz2 [28Mb]
(Although note that this was compiled for R14k processors, and so may not work on anything R12k or below. Having said this, there are only about 3 packages installed, and their source still exists in /usr/gentoo/tmp/portage - so they can easily be rebuilt)

Cheers,

Stuart
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i suggest you post this to the gentoo-mips list, they would be able to help you out a lot more.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit: Actually no, srcshelton will get more assistance here. The Gentoo/MIPS list is specifically covering Linux... very few of us have anything to do with IRIX, so are unlikely to be able to help.

srcshelton: I'd say you're on the right track. If in doubt, pester the people in #gentoo-portage, they might be able to help with portage specifics, as well as #gentoo-dev-help.

This will be interesting though. I might see about acquiring IRIX (I've got a partial disc-set) for my O2 (get it dual-booting) and fiddling with this myself.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
srcshelton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now at the stage where I cam successfully compile packages - my major remaining hurdle now is that I'm trying to keep the portage tree owned by portage:portage, and run as a 'portage' user. This is so that I can't accidentally overwrite any vital system files with an emerge. What happens currently is that portage creates files and parent directories owned by root:portage, and then everything breaks come the live-filesystem install.

Does portage have any support for running as a user other than root?

I'll investigate further when I get time...
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srcshelton wrote:
Does portage have any support for running as a user other than root?

Sure. man make.conf:
Code:
FEATURES="userfetch userpriv usersandbox"

Is this what you were looking for?
srcshelton
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - but even with these features enabled, portage chown's files owned by itself to root, then can't install them because it no longer has the correct permissions!

(This may be because there is (currently?) no sandbox for IRIX - but I get the impression that being root was a fundamental design assumption for Portage)
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srcshelton wrote:
Yeah - but even with these features enabled, portage chown's files owned by itself to root, then can't install them because it no longer has the correct permissions!

(This may be because there is (currently?) no sandbox for IRIX - but I get the impression that being root was a fundamental design assumption for Portage)

Well, I'd say you can live without usersandbox during the compile. Heck, you may just have to end up changing the install directory to something like /home, as you should have the right permissions for your own home, once you monkey with the chown stuff. There's a method of doing that somewhere on the gentoo-dev and/or portage-dev lists, IIRC. After all, Portage certainly supports installing to places other than /usr/ (for example), and it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to work with intended ownership. Might want to check gmane's archives for this.

Still, be prepared to deal with some kludge. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: