Token Ring/Ethernet switch pcmcia card setup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Token Ring/Ethernet switch pcmcia card setup Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a laptop and some clients on token ring and some on ethernet. I set up gentoo on the laptop with the ethernet card.

I now need to access the token ring network. The pcmcia_cs driver detect the token ring card fine, as a lsmod shows that it loads the ibmtr_cs module. The network card does not initialise however. The logs say that the machine is looking for a net.tr0 script. How do I create this script? I tried adding iface_tr0 to the /etc/conf.d/net file and running env-update but this didn't work.

Somehow I need to get a net.tr0 script without killing the net.eth0 script file.

Thanks
Mark
mxc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem. (see last paragraph)

SOLUTION

All one needs to do is copy the net.eth0 script and call it net.tr0 for the token ring card. The machine should then pick it up ok when the token ring card is inserted. I also created a net.tr0 file in the /etc/conf.d directory. This was a copy of the net file with the line changed from iface_eth0 to iface_tr0. I don't think this step is neccessary though.

MY PROBLEM

The reason this didn't work for me is quite embarresing. :oops: I changed my laptop from win xp to gentoo on the weekend and when I went to the client on monday I could n't connect via token ring. I could connect to the ethernet at home and to other ethernet networks. After two days of searching and reading I finally found that I had done things right but that some idiot had disconnected the network connection at the hub!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: