Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenoTerraCide wrote:
same here and yet my mappings work... I'll check to see if I get something using the mouse driver in a minute...

its in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules and I had to create that file nothing else in it.

That should work fine. Are you restarting udev with udevstart?

Ya looking at the xorg log, as soon as Xorg sees evdev as the drive and gets the device node location, it autoprobes/determines the rest of the information. If I add other "phony" options, it ignores them too, so it's not just buttonmappings. With previous xorg versions, X used to gag when bogus options were in xorg.conf

Last edited by Headrush on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenoTerraCide wrote:
k I just tested with evedev and my mappings are still working.... do you have protocol configured with evdev you shouldnt' need that. also I tried creating a rule for udev and it didn't work.

should this work?
Code:
BUS="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}="046d", SYSFS{idProduct}="c70a, NAME="input/MX1000", GROUP="users", MODE="664"

Code:
slave-i ~ # cat /proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c70e Version=4000
N: Name="Logitech Logitech BT Mini-Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.1-4.2/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
H: Handlers=kbd event0
B: EV=120003
B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: LED=1f

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c70a Version=4000
N: Name="Logitech Logitech BT Mini-Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:02.1-4.3/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
H: Handlers=kbd mouse0 event1
B: EV=f
B: KEY=c0002 400 0 0 fff0001 f80 78000 6639fa d841d7ad 9e0000 0 0 0
B: REL=1c3
B: ABS=1 0

<edit> as far as how I mapped that I think I had to map them to different keys using xbindkeys. give me a little while and I'll do it again. :wink:

I don't have protocol defined with evdev: my config can be seen above. It also shows how I set up xbindkeys, so if that's how you set up firefox, then I won't need help, because I've already got that working.

As headrush said, this just seems to be a 7.0 bug.
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be.... how come it retains my mappings :? my xorg log with evdev.
Code:
(II) Mouse1: Found mouse buttons

with mouse
Code:
(**) Option "Buttons" "12"
(==) Mouse1: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "ButtonMapping" "1 3 2 8 9 6 7 10 11 12"
(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 16
(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button
like I said I've always had to map the buttons it never gets them right...

<edit> because I couldn't remember udevstart... I rebooted. which would have applied it. </edit>
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurred to me that with the move to modular X we could also be using different versions of evdev. So for the sake of completeness, I have the following"
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.0.0.5  USE="-debug%" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.0.4  USE="-debug" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.0.1.3  USE="-debug%" 0 kB

It appears that the evdev driver probes the device for buttons and sets them properly if possible. A vertical scroll wheel to buttons 4 and 5 and if a horizontal scroll wheel to buttons 6 and 7. If you have a button with lots of buttons (+3), but not a horizontal scroll wheel, it seems it is smart enough to not use 6 and 7. (Looks like the devs are trying to make things more standard)

I don't know if this is official, but appears to me like this is what is happening.

Edit: XenoTerraCide, I notice I don't get the emulate3buttons defaults in my logs either, we must be running different versions.

Last edited by Headrush on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
* x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
     Available versions:  1.0.0.5 ~1.1.2-r1
     Installed:           1.0.0.5
     Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
     Description:         X.Org driver for evdev input devices
as of right now if your using xorg 7 you will need to use 1.0.0.5 and if you're using 7.1 you'll use 1.1.2-r1. maybe they are attempting to standardize.

I restarted the machine instead of udev because I couldn't remember that command and was lazy.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use:

evdev: 1.0.0.5
mouse: 1.0.4
keyboard: 1.0.1.3
xorg: 7.0-r1

The same as headrush, and our problems are the same as well as I understand it.

Quote:
If you have a button with move buttons, but not a horizontal scroll wheel, it seems it is smart enough to not use 6 and 7.

I asume you meant a mouse with move buttons... But since firefox maps 6 and 7 to forward and back, it would find it logical if the h-scroll would be mapped to 6 and 7. On the other hand, since Konquerer is configured to respond to XF86Backward and Forward, but doesn't respond to my backward/forward buttons, perhaps button 6 and 7 being horizontal scroll is indeed how it's supposed to be, and that firefox just handles them wrong.

But, when remapping so that the side buttons are logical button 8 and 9, Konquerer doesn't respond either.

edit: without running xmodmap, the side buttons are 8 and 9, but they both act as button 1, in every program. This way, the side buttons also aren't working in konquerer as forward and backward. Strange stuff...
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've semi determined how I got the konqueror and tab switching thing you're going to need xvkbd.
Code:
emerge xvkbd
I called that program from xbindkeysrc.

I've also determined that the mouse thing does indeed NOT work with evdev... I checked to see if my settings were taking effect and they are not. :oops:
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it.
my .xbindkeyrc
Code:
 # back and forward
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]""
m:0x10 + b:8
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]""
m:0x10 + b:9

# full screen
#"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[F11]""
#m:0x10 + b:10

# the up and down by the wheel pages up and down
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Page_Up]""
m:0x10 + b:11
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Page_Down]""
m:0x10 + b:12

# Left and Right on the wheel switch tabs
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Control_L]\[Page_Up]""
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Control_L]\[Page_Down]""

XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it.
my .xbindkeyrc
Code:
 # back and forward (b:6 is button 6 in xvkbd)
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]""
m:0x10 + b:6
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Right]""
m:0x10 + b:7

# Left and Right (horizontal scroll) on the wheel switch tabs (use xev to test which even you have for this
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Control_L]\[Page_Up]""
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Control_L]\[Page_Down]""

well that makes firefox work... needs work in konqueror... <edit> k I had changed something earlier I figured it out. this has been edit to resemble the change. don't forget to change the alternate shortucut for activate next /previous tab in konqueror</edit>
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already told you, I have a working xbindkeys setup, also using xvkbd, which sends keystrokes. There was no need to explain it. Not for me at least.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
Quote:
If you have a button with move buttons, but not a horizontal scroll wheel, it seems it is smart enough to not use 6 and 7.

I asume you meant a mouse with move buttons... But since firefox maps 6 and 7 to forward and back, it would find it logical if the h-scroll would be mapped to 6 and 7. On the other hand, since Konquerer is configured to respond to XF86Backward and Forward, but doesn't respond to my backward/forward buttons, perhaps button 6 and 7 being horizontal scroll is indeed how it's supposed to be, and that firefox just handles them wrong.

But, when remapping so that the side buttons are logical button 8 and 9, Konquerer doesn't respond either.

edit: without running xmodmap, the side buttons are 8 and 9, but they both act as button 1, in every program. This way, the side buttons also aren't working in konquerer as forward and backward. Strange stuff...

I fixed my wording, I was in a rush as I went out the door.
I meant the evdev support seems to find the buttons without configuration, and by default it tries to make the vertical scroll wheel map to buttons 4 and 5 and the horizontal scroll wheel map to buttons 6 and 7.

If you don't have either, it skips those buttons, hopefully starting to establish a standard.

As we've all pointed out, the apps screw it up by each expecting a different button for different actions. Although you can remap the button order this tends to fix one app yet cause another to fail. In this case you have to change more than just the button order with xmodmap or buttonmappings and need to change the setting within the application.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As we've all pointed out, the apps screw it up by each expecting a different button for different actions. Although you can remap the button order this tends to fix one app yet cause another to fail. In this case you have to change more than just the button order with xmodmap or buttonmappings and need to change the setting within the application.

Until now, Firefox is the only app which I've been able to let understand one of the extra mouse buttons at all. Do you have any other apps which respond to mousebuttons without the use of external software (like xbindkeys)?
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe konqueror does by default the problem is the default is different from firefox. I'm sure there are others but I prefer to set my own keyboard and mouse shortcuts. like the windows key brings up my terminal.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe konqueror does by default the problem is the default is different from firefox.

I just discovered that konquerer indeed uses button 6 and 7 as horizontal scroll. I wasn't smart enough to include a horizontal scrollbar in my previous tests...

But, the issue remains which of the logical keys it sees as browser back and forward, because I can't get it to respond to any button as forward/backward. It could also be that it's an X signal that is not generated properly. After all, Konquerer is configured by default to respond to XF86Forward and XF86Backward. Perhaps those signals need to be generated somehow. I will try to look into it tomorrow.
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh... you need to CHANGE THAT. set xbindkeys like I have and both firefox and konqueror will work.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenoTerraCide wrote:
sigh... you need to CHANGE THAT. set xbindkeys like I have and both firefox and konqueror will work.

It may work, but it's very annoying, limited and a kludge. Annoying because in apps which don't have forward and backward, like blender or a terminal, pressing that mousebutton does all kinds of stupid things. Limited, because in Firefox, under certain conditions with pages with flash animations or movie windows or something similair, the keycode won't work. You have to click somewhere else in the page first. A kludge because there are supposed to be standard signals for this. Microsoft figured this out 8 years ago...

There are a whole bunch of those XF86xxxx signals, like stop, forward, backward, refresh, mail, etc. This page confirms that firefox handles them incorrectly. You can map those signals with xmodmap to certain keys. To map them to mousebuttons, you can also use xbindkeys with xvkbd. Instead of letting it send a key, you send the signal, like so:

Code:
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text '\[XF86Back]'"

Kind of a kludge however, because it won't work out of the box, and any Linux user without skills won't be able to set that up. I start xbindkeys in /etc/profile for each user logged in, as described earlier. Another annoyance of using xbindkeys is, that the call to xvkbd can take a long time when there is harddisk activity, and the program is not in cache anymore.

I filed a bugreport at the firefox bugzilla. I was unable to find any similair bugs, but I'm almost positive I get a "this bug is a duplicate of bug...". I always do, somehow. Or perhaps there is something about this whole mouse issue that escapes me and the bug is invalid anyway :)

Edit, OK, it's a duplicate. Of a bug filed on 2001-01-25... You know, I don't get it. I know I have searched for more than one of the words present in that bug report, but it never came up. Bugzilla needs a new search engine...
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know about all that kde stuff I use fluxbox. :wink:
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenoTerraCide wrote:
I wouldn't know about all that kde stuff I use fluxbox. :wink:

If you're referring to the things halfgaar said, I didn't think any of that was KDE specific, it is a problem with X and apps. :P
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right.... to early this morning...
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - this was very helpful. I got my mouse working in only a few minutes! :D
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: