Where's pascal ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alkalinelito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Where's pascal ? Reply with quote

I looked over portage, forums, everywhere.
Is there a pascal compiler ebuild ? Maybe freepascal ?
I need this.
I just would like to know, otherwise i'll go to freepascal.org and downloaded the files they provide.
Thanks.
xr31Daisy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/packages/dev-lang/gpc.html
Pascal front-end for the Gnu Compiler.
Need I say more ?
alkalinelito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man
Hmmm, this package is masked
is safe to unmask it ?
dtun3Z
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more like... HOW to you unmask it? i cant find it in package.mask
alkalinelito
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problem
kutsuya
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: where is the mask? Reply with quote

Hi,

If my understanding is correct, there is global and local masking.

The global masking is done in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask.

Local masking is in the ebuild you are trying to emerge. Open it and look for ~ in KEYWORDS, DEPEND and RDEPEND variables.

In gpc-2.1.ebuild I see:
Code:

DEPEND="virtual/glibc
              ~sys-devel/gcc-2.95.3

So the question is, do you want two copies of GCC? ;)

Regards,

--Kutsuya
gimbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the question is, do you want two copies of GCC?

Assuming the answer to that question is "no", but I still want a pascal compiler, do you have any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Andy
aequitas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be possible to use deplhi instead of pascal. Since deplhi is the same language as pascal.
gimbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aequitas wrote:
would it be possible to use deplhi instead of pascal. Since deplhi is the same language as pascal.

What???

OK, two things:

1. Delphi is _not_ the same language as Pascal. Delphi is an IDE/RAD tool/whatever you want to call it for building (mainly, but not necessarily GUI) applications which uses a Pascal-like language at its core. So Delphi is not, strictly and of itself, a language at all, and it was, it wouldn't be exactly the same language as, say, fpc or the gnu pascal compiler front end understands the term.

2. Delphi is a Windows-only product. There is a Linux version called Kylix, but it suffers from the same problems as Delphi, namely a) assumption that you want to do graphics, b) assumption that you want the program to organise your code, and c) assumption that you're happy with non-free software. In my case, none of those three assumptions is true, which is why I was interested in the GNU solution.

But thanks for the thought. :-)

I'm using freepascal (fpc) now. I've installed it outside the auspices of emerge/portage and it works fine. I guess if I had the time or I was a properly motivated member of the free software community I'd work out how to get the gnu thing working, or maybe write an ebuild for fpc. But I don't know how to do either of those things and don't have time. Bummer.

-Andy
nil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimbo wrote:
2. Delphi is a Windows-only product. There is a Linux version called Kylix, but it suffers from the same problems as Delphi, namely a) assumption that you want to do graphics, b) assumption that you want the program to organise your code, and c) assumption that you're happy with non-free software. In my case, none of those three assumptions is true, which is why I was interested in the GNU solution.

you can create console application using the commandline compiler without any fuzz.. the big thing about Delphi/Kylix is that you get much faster compile times for large systems than you get with c/c++ due to the way the interfaces are parsed and processed in Pascal.

if you dont want graphics you have no need for worrying about Qt licensing ever.. and can just use pretty much any combination of Pascal and C++ to get your work done -- using the same compiler.

You don't _need to use the Kylix IDE to develop in OBJECT PASCAL, its not the lame pascal of old, its an awesome lean object oriented framework that's got state of the art language capabilities (oh well, c# is state of the art as far as that goes) that put FreePascal to shame. nah, that's not what i mean.. that put FreePascal into its place in time. and that is _many years behind the curve.

I've written about a million lines of Delphi/Kylix code since 12/94 and for me its Object Pascal --> c#/mono

anyway.. gpc is another option, but dont sell yourself short with a pascal compiler. learn to use oop man, there's nothing like it.
aequitas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimbo wrote:

1. Delphi is _not_ the same language as Pascal. Delphi is an IDE/RAD tool/whatever you want to call it for building (mainly, but not necessarily GUI) applications which uses a Pascal-like language at its core. So Delphi is not, strictly and of itself, a language at all, and it was, it wouldn't be exactly the same language as, say, fpc or the gnu pascal compiler front end understands the term.

All ik know about deplhi is what a friend of my told. Whe are learning pascal on school right now and since he had worked with delphi before he does it all in deplhi and he told me it was the same as pascal.

I now want to put pascal on my gentoo disk for school so i can run linux on school. I will try that freepascal you mentioned.
gimbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're want Pascal for your school/college/university course, then you probably won't need anything that freepascal doesn't give you, because they're probably just teaching you Pascal as a first language before going on to teach you how you should really program.

ie, in C.

;-)

-Andy
aequitas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whe are learning basic programming right now. (which i already learnt at the age of 13) But i have to do it for my exame. After this whe will learn basic. But i think i can talk the teacher over so i can use C++. A classmate of me also is a C++ fanatic. So that shouldn't be a problem.
Lumen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimbo wrote:
aequitas wrote:

I think you wanted to say just what i thinked regarding the predecessor. :wink: So, just to clarify:
Delphi/Kylix is a IDE/RAD which transparently uses "original" Pascal (not "Pascal-like" like you said), Turbo Pascal, Object Pascal and C++ [Kylix] as languages at a level of free choice (in fact you can do inline ia32 assembler to). You are also able to write programs which are source level compatible with fpc (maybe even gpc) because you are not forced to use the class libraries VCL or CLX. So the good old console progs are possible wihout hurdles.

gimbo wrote:

I'm using freepascal (fpc) now. I've installed it outside the auspices of emerge/portage and it works fine. I guess if I had the time or I was a properly motivated member of the free software community I'd work out how to get the gnu thing working, or maybe write an ebuild for fpc. But I don't know how to do either of those things and don't have time. Bummer.

If you have fpc up and running dont care about to have gpc running. If you want to use Pascal with Linux (a somehow "exotic" choice) then Freepascal is the clearly better option.
(Disclaimer: gpc is very good and does have some real goodies but freepascal is even better)

Have fun

Last edited by Lumen on Wed May 28, 2003 6:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Lumen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nil wrote:

you can create console application using the commandline compiler without any fuzz.. the big thing about Delphi/Kylix is that you get much faster compile times for large systems than you get with c/c++ due to the way the interfaces are parsed and processed in Pascal.

Yupp, the turn around times are astonishing! And you get a fast executable as a benefit. :)

nil wrote:

You don't _need to use the Kylix IDE to develop in OBJECT PASCAL, its not the lame pascal of old, its an awesome lean object oriented framework that's got state of the art language capabilities (oh well, c# is state of the art as far as that goes) that put FreePascal to shame. nah, that's not what i mean.. that put FreePascal into its place in time. and that is _many years behind the curve.

Nope, of course is the Delphi flavor of Object Pascal (and its surroundings) even more polished, stable (not much) and slightly progressed if you compare it with the current implementation of Freepascal, but in their plain classification those two compilers are equal.
Freepascal does true Object Pascal (if wanted) and the language syntax of Freepascal is semantically compatible with TP 7.0 as well as most versions of Delphi (classes, exceptions, rtti, ansistrings, etc). Furthermore Free Pascal supports function overloading, operator overloading and other such features. So Freepascal is designed to be able to understand and compile Delphi syntax, which is of course OOP, but it can naturally do real standard (procedural) Pascal also.

Even a Linux native Delphi alike RAD/IDE exists (seperatly) for Freepascal. The Form designer binds to GTK (but dont have to). If you are used to work with Delphi you straight feel at home. Is it totally completed? No not quite yet, but it is a good basic approach to a state that roughly conforms Delphi 4. The name of the whole thing is Lazarus. Have a look:

> Screenshot example

> Link to
www.lazarus.freepascal.org

nil wrote:

anyway.. gpc is another option, but dont sell yourself short with a pascal compiler. learn to use oop man, there's nothing like it.

Besides that the really nice gpc IMHO hardly ever is a real option compared directly with Freepascal and both not only are plain standard Pascal compilers i agree 100%. It is better to learn clean OOP style directly. Just mighty! :wink:

Have fun

Last edited by Lumen on Wed May 28, 2003 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Lumen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aequitas wrote:

I now want to put pascal on my gentoo disk for school so i can run linux on school. I will try that freepascal you mentioned.

I remeber that a working colleague -- which was employed by a business partner of us -- showed me a special Knoppix CD branch with preinstalled Freepascal and Lazarus (this happend just as i wanted to show him Freepascal/Lazarus). :)
However, this could maybe be a interesting solution for your intentions.

Unfortunately i dont remember the name of that derivative of Knoppix nor it's URI. But it should be out there somewhere in the web. :wink: So maybe google a little bit would help to get the iso image. (Or freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net)

Have Fun
elzbal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alkalinelito wrote:
thanks man
Hmmm, this package is masked
is safe to unmask it ?

I have no idea if it is safe to use this app, but it can be installed via the following:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge gpc

The package is not 'masked', but rather is in the 'unstable' branch. The above will let you install the package without complaint. If you want to see the packages that will be installed before doing the installing, remember that you can use:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p gpc

Sorry, I can't offer any opinion on this or any other Pascal package...
Cheers!
drini
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: NO need to have 2 gccs Reply with quote

Another simple way would be

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/dev-lang/gpc/gpc-20030209.ebuild

(manually emerging the ebuild)
notice that I didn't used 2.1 since that one depended on 2.95 and I DON'T wanna have 2 gcc's lying around

run it with -p to check for any dependency
(none here)
\ / f ker f
G/ker f
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the ~.

That is C notation for bitwise-not. This means 'Anything BUT gcc-2.9.5'
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: