Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
MACs and boot camp and linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anchorman082589
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: MACs and boot camp and linux Reply with quote

Hi

A few minutes ago while looking for a new laptop i had this idea- get a Mac. My next thought was about gentoo and linux in general, what is the state of gentoo\linux on the new x86 macs?
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can be done, but you need a special version of Lilo to work with the EFI.

About bootcamp, you can probably install Linux the same way you would install windows, but I am not sure.
iamdar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am on a macbook pro right now with OSX, gentoo and windows. just google macbook and linux and there are walkthroughs, best one ive found is http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp
die_vms_die
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about the EFI or BIOS question.
The firmware update to allow bootcamp booting windows provides BIOS emulation or something.

I boot gentoo using a the regular lilo(grub suppossedly will bork the partition table), and refit, refit.sourceforge.net.

This way lets you use the ati drivers to get hardware acceleration.

The only negative effect of the mac not using a BIOS now is that your limited to creating four primary partitions. One being a 200mb efi related partition.
EFI uses GPT which doesn't support extended partitions, and the BIOS MBR table doesn't allow more the four primary partitions.

I have efi partion, OS X, Linux, and a fat32 data share partition. I would normaly create separate swap, /boot, and /home partitions.

I have a macbook pro. The sound only works on headphone jack. I have not succeeded in getting the synaptics driver to work. Keyboard support needs improvement: fn key+arrow keys should be the home, end, pgup, and pgdown keys. The alt key is next to ctrl instead of space bar, but that's easy to fix.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: