How to dual boot my Blade 1000
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgerstung
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: How to dual boot my Blade 1000 Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a SunBlade 1000 under my desk. When I got it a few months ago, I installed Gentoo on it (because I had to wait to receive my Solaris 9 media kit and I wanted to check this box out NOW :-) ) and it worked just fine.

When I installed Solaris 9 I kept my Gentoo installation but used Solaris from then on (I had to ..). Now I would like to reanimate my Gentoo installation by booting the LiveCD I have (2004.10) and re-run silo after configuring a dual boot setup.

My problem is that I cannot get silo to be run when my Sun starts from its harddisks. I tried to run silo -f but it always comes up with Solaris (and does not show anything regarding silo and I wonder if I have to change something in the OPB setup to get it to recgnonize silo on my disk. I tried to "boot disk", "boot disk0", "boot disk1" and "boot scsi" to no avail. Either it did not work at all or it booted into Solaris..

Any hints? When I boot the machine with the LiveCD I can chroot into my installation (/dev/sda5) and everything looks fine. silo just says that the configuration is valid but thats it.

I would like to avoid downloading a recent version of the LiveCD.

Thanks in advance,
kind regards,

Heiko
hgerstung
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] How to dual boot my Blade 1000 Reply with quote

The solution was fairly easy:

I had to use the OBP command
Code:

boot disk:4

to boot from partition 4 of my harddisk. Now I got a SILO prompt. It fails to boot with an "Illegal Instruction" error, but that seems to be another story...

Kind regards,
Heiko
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: