iptables: error initializing table 'filters'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WizzleyPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: iptables: error initializing table 'filters' Reply with quote

Hey all. I have iptables compiled as modules, and I decided to start playing with some firewall rules to gain an understanding of iptables better, but I was given the following error when trying to run 'iptables -P INPUT DROP':

Error initializing table 'filters': table does not exist
(Hint: do you need to run insmod?)

It said something else too, but I can't remember what it was. Does anyone have an idea? Is there maybe a configuration file called 'filters' that I need to initialize first? I know I have all the kernel modules I need for iptables, and I compiled in most of the optional ones just in case I decided to use them.

James
Lord Tocharian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This error, which I have gotten before actually is a kernel problem. I think it relates to not having the state module enabled/loaded if I remember correctly. I think the part you may not have enabled looks like this:
Code:
IP: Netfilter Configuration --->
<*> Connection tracking (required for masq/NAT)
WizzleyPete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Solved :) Reply with quote

Actually I solved the problem :) I just compiled every single filter option, and after that it worked :) So apparently it was just asking for a filter that wasn't compiled but I got it now. Thanks though :)

I do have a problem though. iptables -F doesn't flush my table for some reason. I have to manually cancel out each rule I don't want active. Does anyone know why?

James
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: