bootstrap vs. normal glibc update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: bootstrap vs. normal glibc update Reply with quote

Hi all!
During the last week I installed a Gentoo system for the first time. I've read the portage manual and many topics on the forums, but there's still something which is quite unclear to me.

During the bootstrap process the glibc is compiled and than gcc, binutils & c. are rebuilt against the new glibc. Ok, no problem so far.
In the forums I read many times that on a running system to update the glibc it's only needed to do an emerge --update system & emerge --update world (or something like that, but it isn't important, right now).
Well ... the question might be stupid, but I didn't find an answer so far: why during bootstrap gcc is rebuilt against the new glibc but during a normal update it isn't needed to rebuild everything against the new glibc? (well, in fact I never tried ;) )

Come on guys ... answers, I need answers!! ;)

Bye -Paper-

PS: btw, about 1 week as gentoo users (ex-debian) and I'm quite impressed :)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, GCC is built pre-GCC without using glibc for a shared library, because it hasn't been built yet. It then builds the shared library, but continues using the static functions, until GCC is rebuilt and dynamically linked to glibc.

Thus, there is no need to recompile GCC with a new glibc, because it uses dynamic linking after it is compiled a second time.
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, now I should have got the point :)

Anyway, this means that major glibc changes would need a 'global recompilation', right? (something like the old transition from libc5 to libc6/glibc)

Thanks for the anwers ... quick and effective ;)

Bye!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a major glibc upgrade would result in everyone having to do "emerge -e world" -- one command to recompile everything. (Isn't Gentoo great?)
Paper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's one of the reasons that pushed me to leave Debian. Their package system is great (and the packages count is now over 10000!) but the still stick to i386 compatibility. I've been using Debian for more than 2 years ... but Gentoo was too exciting to resist giving it a try ;) And now I think I will be far more than just a try!
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paper wrote:
Well, that's one of the reasons that pushed me to leave Debian. Their package system is great (and the packages count is now over 10000!) but the still stick to i386 compatibility. I've been using Debian for more than 2 years ... but Gentoo was too exciting to resist giving it a try ;) And now I think I will be far more than just a try!

Were already up to 2156 packages and look how long gentoo has been around compared to debian :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: