Using a HP 5550 with CUPS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leej31
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Using a HP 5550 with CUPS Reply with quote

My Epson C-80 printer recently broke and I have replaced it with a HP 5550. I merged net-print/hpijs, which then told me to download the .ppd file from linuxprinting.org and move it to /usr/share/cups/model. I did all of this, used CUPS's web interface to set up the printer, and tried printing--whenever I try to print something (either a test page through the web interface, or lpr from the command line) nothing gets sent to the printer, and CUPS simply says "Aborted" for the status of the job. I am successfully able to print plain text by catting things into /dev/lp0, but obviously the postscript is not interpreted.

I know that many people have the 5550 working on Gentoo--what do I have to do to get this thing working? /var/log/messages does not output anything relevant.

Thanks!
potsdamlemur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Workaround for HP5550 under CUPS Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I suspect the instructions that the ebuild gives are incomplete, or that the .ppd file that you get from linuxprinting is meant for the current driver version (v1.4 as of 27.05.2003) and not for hpijs-1.2.x.

A workaround is to use a different driver. Go to the printer's page in CUPS, and hit "Modify Printer". In the "Model/Driver" screen that the wizard eventually gets to, try "HP New DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1 (en)". It's probably sub-optimal for the 5550's capabilities, but at least you'll get printout.

Seeing that I'm not the only one with the problem, I'll file a bug report.
potsdamlemur
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Bug report posted, includes solution Reply with quote

I filed a bug report as promised. It includes a solution that allows the hpijs driver to be used. See: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21782.

Enjoy.

--Dwight
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: