Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo 2.4.20-r5 locking up Tyan s1837 SMP?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
as6o
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 2.4.20-r5 locking up Tyan s1837 SMP? Reply with quote

I was running Gentoo 2.4.19-r10 without any problems on a Tyan s1837 Thunderbolt in SMP mode. However, after upgrading to Gentoo 2.4.20-r5 my machine locks up during the boot sequence or soon after (usually within a couple of minutes - after logging in and running a few commands.) So, I decided to reformat the HD and start from scratch (I got a lockup during the fsck and it hosed my filesystem.) The kernel on the boot CD (1.4 rc4) worked fine and I was able to go through the entire setup process for Gentoo 2.4.20-r5 without any problems. But, once I went to reboot into the fresh kernel - lockup. Any ideas on what may be wrong? Any parts of the kernel I should turn off (besides SMP - it'd suck if I couldn't use the second processor)?

Also, let me know if there is any information I can provide that would help track down the problem.

Thanks,

-Aaron
Yoshi Assim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't give so much information... but probably I bring you a clue... Recently I updated one old SMP server (Dual Pentium II) with Tyan motherboard...
This server was running SuSE without any kind of problem (except for my human errors ;)) for three years... My problems begin with kernel 2.4.20-r5. ( I maded two installations that had ended with filesystem corruption when the computer hanged. (No problems during installation, but I get them when I compiled my kernel).

I asked in this forum (now I don't remember) and someone tells me that he uses ck-sources instead of gentoo-sources for SMP.

I make the change and now this machine is working fine.

Also you can check your CFLAGS configuration: don't use -march=pentium4. Search forums for links of "how to set CFLAGS in make.conf".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: