View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
Shake seems to be more of a specialty tool than a must have system utility. Not that I miss defragging ;)
Yes, Shake is not something to use daily... that is the problem of being a defragmenter on a system that do not fragment :) .
But for old partitions, or very used one, or for those wich download a lot via P2P (try "shake -pvv" on something downloaded via ktorrent), I think it could be usefull.
ruben
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
I guess shake is limited to a tiny select few if it is "normal" to not see a performance improvement. I guess this is why no one using Linux really cares about fragmentation...
Shake seems to be more of a specialty tool than a must have system utility.

It's not a critical tool, but I believe it is or has the power to become a valuable tool. I imagine you won't see much of a performance improvement on recent hardware with fast harddisks, unless the file system is very, very fragmented. On the other hand, I believe it can make a big difference on laptops with slow 4200rpm/5400rpm harddrives. I've experienced this myself with a ReiserFS (v3) on a laptop with Gentoo. Performance on ReiserFS noticeably degrades over time, especially when you frequently update your system. I remember defragmenting that partition by copying the data to another partition and then copying it back in a clean, re-formatted partition. This operation halved the time from GDM login to usable Gnome desktop (45secs to 23secs). I've since switched to ext2/3, which seems to suffer a lot less from fragmentation. I think this would be a useful tool for more people than one would initially expect.

I have to admit I didn't yet use this myself, but it seems smarter than standard defragmenter tools by using a heuristic to place files together, which will likely be needed at the same time. I've been following this thread a bit and I'll definitely try it some time, but I first wanna make sure I have a working backup.
nordpolcamper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

nice work. But if I execute "shake /usr" (shake-0.21) it stops working after a few minutes and does not quit. No error message and no consumption of cpu time. It just stops working without quitting.

So are there any ideas what I may have done wrong. user_xattr are enabled. I'm using reiserfs on a amd64 machine.

rgds

Bernhard
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through part of this, and the idea I like/love. Personally, seems like a cron job to run weekly/monthly on high-use HDD (like /home maybe?), and then maybe annually on something like / to defrag everything.

I'll check things out when my system finishes updating, and then give you my thoughts/problems with it.

P.S. I think this is the first I've heard of a defrag program for Linux. I didn't know the filesystem EVER fragmented, but I guess anything will.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordpolcamper wrote:
Hi,

nice work. But if I execute "shake /usr" (shake-0.21) it stops working after a few minutes and does not quit. No error message and no consumption of cpu time. It just stops working without quitting.

So are there any ideas what I may have done wrong. user_xattr are enabled. I'm using reiserfs on a amd64 machine.

rgds

Bernhard
Yes I just had the same thing.. it simply went to sleep when 'shake -pvv /root' got to /root/.kde3.5/share/apps/juk/playlists - always at the same spot!

Re-emerging 0.19 allows it to complete ok

Mvh
whitesouls
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm sorry but does this wonderfull app works on reiser4?
2. Are the files which are guilty will be defragged?

Please insert the [SOLVED] tag if your problem is solved in your respective thread.
nordpolcamper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Cintra"]
nordpolcamper wrote:

Re-emerging 0.19 allows it to complete ok

Mvh

Many thanks, that did it :). It

rgds

Bernhard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lag, the bug is fixed.
Shake was waiting for the lock when it couldn't get it.
Shake 0.22 (tarball, Changelog, ebuild) fix this problem.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Vader wrote:
1. I'm sorry but does this wonderfull app works on reiser4?
Yes, it should.
Lord Vader wrote:
2. Are the files which are guilty will be defragged?
Yes.
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does shake work on the ext2/3 filesystems? What about a vfat filesystem, say, on an iPod?

Forgive me if these were asked in any prior posts, but I read through it and didn't see any mention of them.

EDIT: I tried it on ext3 and love it! I did not try vfat, yet, however.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
Does shake work on the ext2/3 filesystems? What about a vfat filesystem, say, on an iPod ?
It should works on ext2 and ext3, but probably won't on vfat.
Knowing this, if you want to try shake on vfat, you can by adding the --no-xattr option. But the better is probably to make a backup of the ipod content, then format the ipod hard drive, and copy back the data.

BlueFusion wrote:
Forgive me if these were asked in any prior posts, but I read through it and didn't see any mention of them.
No problem ! :)
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shook my entire Gentoo install. I didn't backup only because I'm planning on wiping and re-installing soon to use a RAID10 setup and if it died, it'd just expedite that. But I'm happy to say, after running shake -v / a few times (until nothing else was listed as being shook) while chrooting from a LiveCD, I am happily using my system with no problems, thus far.

I did try running with the --old=0 option, however I recieved an error on a single file every time it ran through. The file was a Battlefield 2 game file installed with Cedega. I'm not sure yet if it's a problem with the file or the size or what. And I'm sorry but I don't have that output available at the moment.

I am definately adding this topic/project to my favorites list :D . Very cool program!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
I did try running with the --old=0 option, however I recieved an error on a single file every time it ran through. The file was a Battlefield 2 game file installed with Cedega. I'm not sure yet if it's a problem with the file or the size or what. And I'm sorry but I don't have that output available at the moment.
I would really like to read that error, if you can.

BlueFusion wrote:
I am definately adding this topic/project to my favorites list :D . Very cool program!
Thanks ! :D
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shake -v /home/rich/.cedega:
Code:
shake: /home/rich/.cedega/Ghost Recon/c_drive/Program Files/InstallShield Installation Information/{D89EF3B3-6F17-4665-B7A9-A4235A6DC787}/setup.ilg: temporary copy failed

It goes through quite a few files and then fails on this one. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the { }?
Jinidog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying this now on a reiserfs. But for every file it tells me:

Quote:

failed to set position time, check user_xattr: Operation not supported

I compiled reiserfs extendend attributes in the kernel. Does this message harm and/or how can I solve it?
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have user_xattr in the mount options in /etc/fstab?
Jinidog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, should I have?
lnxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
saluk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.22 wont compile. I haven't downloaded any of the previous releases, and I've tried both the source and the ebuild with the same error:
Code:

linux.c:23:43: attr/attributes.h: No such file or directory

Did you forget to pack that directory?
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ensure you have attr installed. You should have gotten that if you emerged shake from portage with the ebuild in this topic.
saluk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I was using ebuild .. merge instead of emerge. Now it works!

I am going to run it on my drive tonight, I've been pretty hard on my system for the past 2 years or so, with games and downloads etc, so I expect to see many many guilty's.
P0w3r3d
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vleu.net is down??
Sourcecode
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice Work :)

Can i know run this over the whole partition? :) i don't have a maschine for testing :(

Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

no one gets out here alive....
Utoxin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How safe is it to run this on the root of a running system? Will it properly skip /dev/ and /proc/, since they're not real filesystems? Is it likely to kill my machine?

I understand that it would be best to run it on a non-system partition, but are there specific reasons /not/ to run it on my active system partitions?

Cool.
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utoxin wrote:
How safe is it to run this on the root of a running system? Will it properly skip /dev/ and /proc/, since they're not real filesystems? Is it likely to kill my machine?

I understand that it would be best to run it on a non-system partition, but are there specific reasons /not/ to run it on my active system partitions?
It should roll right over /dev and /proc just fine. Just don't run it over any libs that you need to run... ESPECIALLY libc. In fact, just avoid doing it on a running system. It's safer :)

I just made that mistake and it took me a day to fix it. If you want to know how I got over it, here's an ugly process to restore your system from a livecd (yeah, kind of had to figure it out myself, unfortunately... hope anyone can elaborate on this or get a more elegant way; after borking my libc I couldn't so much as emerge anything! Python couldn't load the libs! Also, need it be said, this applies only to Linux, as shake only works on Linux. But it's probably a generic way as any to restore a borked libc on a Gentoo box):

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev (of course, replace 'gentoo' with the appropriate partition)
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc

Get the stage3 tarball, and extract it to a seperated directory, say, /mnt/gentoo/stage3 for example.

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bb (note: bash WILL PROBABLY NOT work with a @#$%ed up libc, this is what busybox is for :D )

cd /stage3/lib

cp * /lib (yeah, don't need to bother going for recursive)

cp /stage3/usr/lib/gcc/<arch>-pc-linux-gnu/<version>/libstdc++.so* /usr/lib/gcc/<arch>-pc-linux/<version>/

cp /stage3/usr/bin/python2.x /usr/bin

By this point you should be able to re-merge glibc, gcc, and python and boot into your normally scheduled Linux. I recommend a hearty double dose of emerge -e system followed by an emerge -e world just to be safe. Use cruft to intelligently get rid of the extra crap you have just put in (if it bothers you, anyway; it shouldn't hurt anything)

If someone could improve this mini-howto and put it in the wiki that'd be a good thing for anyone who borks their libc, I think
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: