suggestion: /dev/null forum
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: suggestion: /dev/null forum Reply with quote

After seeing these two posts

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=56116
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=56115

I was thinking perhaps there should be a /dev/null (replace this with clever or amusing name) for such posts to accompany the dupes forum. This would allow mods to remove threads that are abusive or whatever to this forum where the posts could be viewed but they would be locked rather than have them clutter up the off the wall forum.
What do you think?
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add:

1. /dev/null forum should be available for reading only to a limited users or, alternatively, it must be excluded from the search.

2. Speaking about the search form: I'd like to have a list of forums as independent check-boxes rather than a listbox. The dupe forum by default must be unchecked (excluded).
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a /dev/null forum -- it was subsumed by Off The Wall when we reorganized the forums some time back. There simply isn't enough traffic to justify taking up front page real estate with a /dev/null forum.

When phpBB 2.2 comes out, it is supposed to offer a lot more flexibility in how forums are created and displayed, including offering things like subforums. Once that happens, we may revisit this decision.

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:

2. Speaking about the search form: I'd like to have a list of forums as independent check-boxes rather than a listbox. The dupe forum by default must be unchecked (excluded).

Submit the patch to phpBB upstream -- if it gets included there, we'll include it here.

Also, you'll get a lot farther when making suggestions by avoiding ultimatums like "must".

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
Oh, I vehemently disagree. If people searched the Dup forums, they might not post a dup. That is one of the reasons the Dup forum exists. If such a thing is implemented, I'd do my best to see that people couldn't uncheck the Dup forum.
panserg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
panserg wrote:
Oh, I vehemently disagree. If people searched the Dup forums, they might not post a dup. That is one of the reasons the Dup forum exists. If such a thing is implemented, I'd do my best to see that people couldn't uncheck the Dup forum.

you confuse two very different use cases:

1. the user searches for useful information in order to solve the problem - no posting in mind. Gentoo forums have a reputation of "unofficial documentation of Gentoo Linux". When I use it as a documentation then dupes are annoying.
    2. the user searches for information in order to avoid the dupe before posting. This case present a role of forum as a communication tool. It would be good to be forced (as in bugzilla) to search for dupes before posting.

P.S. Besides dupes I'd like to exclude (by default) all those non-English forums. It's really annoying to see mostly German and Italian forums in the search result list, when I really looked for information in Multimedia, Desktops, Installation and Portage. And with all my respect to non-english speaking people (I am Russian, BTW), it doesn't help them either: I might want to limit my search only in French (for example) and all English forums. Instead I see posts from the rest of Europe, but not French.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panserg wrote:
you confuse two very different use cases:
Not really. In case of 2, the dups offer the ability to find the information you're looking for. The "non-dup" thread may not be as obvious (i.e. bad title) as a thread in dups. If you find several dup threads, one is likely to lead to an active thread.

Quote:
P.S. Besides dupes I'd like to exclude (by default) all those non-English forums.
I agree. This has been suggested on a couple of occaisions.

I could be mistaken, but unfortunately, I don't think improving search is a priority for phpbb any time soon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: