Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Support UPDATED DEC31/06!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: World Of Warcraft Support UPDATED DEC31/06! Reply with quote

curtis119: Please post all WoW related support questions here. Made sticky. Also see the Native Linux port of WoW petition thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-160521.html

10/10/2005-Massive overhaul. Deleted obsolete sections, changed wording, removed other stuff, added a couple things here and there.
11/9/2005-Updated some shader stuff, added polygon offset patch
11/10/2005-Added a note for E16 people, posted a patch that fozner linked on page 6
12/31/2006-I give up. This will now be purely a support thread.

I admit it, I'm just too lazy to keep updating this. From now on, I will only be including texts to helpful links and fixes.

INSTALL DOCUMENTS:
AppDB at WineHQ.com
HowTo at the Gentoo wiki site

That's it for now. Let me know if something else needs to be linked here.

Last edited by discomfitor on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:06 am; edited 59 times in total
mooninite
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is very old and much of it is not needed and is very different now. I suggest a total rewrite. (as of Wine 0.9.1x and up and WoW 1.1x and up)
urbanomad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone having problems with the new WoW patch? (the one that downloads)
hackerError
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: WoW patch 1.11 update breaks game Reply with quote

Besides the stupid update problems everyone is having including hanging at 84% and all around slow download times (thx blizzard) the game fails to run at all.

When the patch is downloaded and tries to run it flashes on the screen then shows a wine unhandled exception and crashes.

This with the latest cedega.

Anyone get it working yet?

That way when you insult them you're already a mile away and have their shoes.
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even get the patch to apply. It insists wow-patch-backup.MPQ is corrupt, but the repair utility exits with no problems. I checked MD sums it is not corrupt.
CCMCornell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blizzard Downloader was going so slow I abandoned it at 48%. Instead of downloading the ~150MB 1.10->1.11 patch, I downloaded the full ~450MB 1.11 patch from Fileplanet.com. Running the executable via wine 0.9.14 worked fine. Fileplanet's speed was like 400kb/s (after a one hour wait), so getting the larger file shouldn't be a problem.
swoppe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have managed to applay the latest patch.
But when I try to run the game I get lots of fixmes on the console
Code:
fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub
fixme:powrprof:DllMain (0x59600000, 1, (nil)) not fully implemented
fixme:ntdll:NtPowerInformation Unimplemented NtPowerInformation action: 11
fixme:powrprof:DllMain (0x59600000, 0, (nil)) not fully implemented
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55beeee0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_GetDeviceCaps Caps support for directx9 is nonexistent at the moment!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bef44c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bef6ec,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bef6ec,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bef654,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bef640,0x00000000), stub!
err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bef15c,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 112 (SPI_GETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 113 (SPI_SETMOUSESPEED)
fixme:sync:CreateIoCompletionPort (0xffffffff, (nil), 00000000, 00000000): stub.
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (5000): STUB
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT not supported on protocol 4
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option INTERNET_OPTION_CONTEXT_VALUE; STUB
fixme:wgl:wglQueryPbufferARB unsupported WGL_PBUFFER_LOST_ARB (need glXSelectEvent/GLX_DAMAGED work)
err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x55bec7bc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:wgl:wglQueryPbufferARB unsupported WGL_PBUFFER_LOST_ARB (need glXSelectEvent/GLX_DAMAGED work)
fixme:imm:ImmAssociateContextEx (0x50024, (nil), 16): stub

The game starts, but the screen flickers badly (unplayabel). I have not managed to log in yet due to the faxt that the EU server are still ofline.

I hope someone can fix the "flickering" problem soon... (we are going to star raiding Zul'Gurub soon yey)...

Regards
Anders
Tinyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the insane flicking problem in patched 0.9.14. Upgrading to 0.9.15 fixed the flicking, bt reintroduced the Minimap crashing bug. If the minimap is displayed in a city or indooors area, the game crashes with a BadMatch error. The AddOn on CurseGaming that removes the Minimap seems to be working though.
treor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also here the minimap crash. but for surprise. i can login using direct3d. it seems that wine-0.9.15 is a great step in forward in the direct3d support. but its not playable in direct3d (some graphik mistakes and a little slow).

is there any other solution für the badmatch crash than to remove the minimap?
swoppe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what patches are you using? Im using wow.new.patch.0.9.13-1 from winehq togeather with wine .15 and it's flickering like mad. Id gladly trade the minimap bug agains a playabel game...
treor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wine-0.9.15 on a 64bit. compiled with the wine-0.9.13-2(?) patch from winehq.org
swoppe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as me, using latest nvidia drivers in ~amd64

As it is now its unplayabel :(
I allso tried with wine .0.9.14 with the patch from winehq same problem...
swoppe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working now!!

I just nuked the WTF and WDB folders and its working, happy days!

EDIT: nope only the loginscreen worked still flickering like mad
Toadicus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't logged in yet (stupid work), I know that WoW loaded just fine after I applied the full patch from Fileplanet (which also ran fine in both Wine and Cedega). I'll let you know if I have any trouble trying to log in this evening.

*edit* Are you actually having trouble running the game, or just patching it? I've found with past patches that Cedega will sometimes not run the patcher (for no clear reason), but normal wine has never failed me there. I almost always patch with Wine.
ikshaar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urbanomad wrote:
anyone having problems with the new WoW patch? (the one that downloads)

Well I cheated a bit as I use vmware to apply patch from Windows virtual machine as patch crashed both on wine and cedega (might have been some permissions issue non related to wine/cedega). Anyway now WoW runs fine with cedega...(will try wine later today). Many addons crashed, some even froze, I recommended to clean your Interface folder.
jhardtone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working by using a mod that disables the automap, linkage:

http://www.curse-gaming.com/en/wow/addons-4147-1-minimap-autohide.html

Using WINE 0.9.15 with the patch linked to on the WINE AppDB page for WoW.
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patcher ran fine with wine for me (I copied from another windows machine here). But the game is kaput, no run..

:/ This is with wine 0.9.15 on an Amd64 system with xorg-x11-7.0-r1 and the latest nvidia driver (card is a 7800 GT)
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you all know it doesn't work right on WinXP either. It hung at 83%. When I started doing some debugging of my interface, it suddenly started downloading the rest of the patch slowly. Not sure if my debugging was related or not (yes I know WinXP is evil, I haven't tried running WoW yet under my linux build).
Toadicus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game is running just fine for me, on both of my computers. One's running Gentoo ~x86, the other's running Ubuntu Dapper (32 bit), and I haven't run into any troubles of any kind. If anything, it's running better now. A friend of mine is running it in Gentoo ~amd64, and I just got done with a raid with him, so it's not a 64-bit issue, necessarily.
tomaw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be worth knowing for people who are having problems getting the patch to apply.

From https://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-tech-support&T=938151&P=3

jstiles wrote:
The dev team did isolate and fix one problem with the Updater today, where it would say "Preparing to update" at 1%, then immediately say that the patch is corrupt. This was a legitimate, honest-to-goodness bug, introduced in 1.11, and the fix for it is in final testing right now. We will be shipping this fix very soon.

Applying the update on a separate computer is a good workaround. I'm glad you mentioned that, because I hadn't considered it but it ought to work for most users... that is, if you have a second computer at your disposal :)

This particular bug is not related to CRC errors at all, though.

tbacav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on it all is this:
* Transition from the introductory movie to the login screen crashes WINE with a BadMatch error - solved by placing
SET movie "0"
in your Config.wtf.

* The minimap will crash WINE (again, a badmatch error) the moment you transition from an outdoor area to an indoor area. This is solved by the mod linked in the above posts or by logging in on a Mac/Windows machine, moving to an outdoor area, logging in on your linux box, and disabling the minimap by clicking the X above it. I assume that is saved per character, so its just easier to use the mod and lose your minimap. This kind of sucks if you are a raider and need to know positioning on the fly for various TAQ/Nax fights, but such is the price one pays for using incompatible software.

Configuration:
AMD Athlon64 3500+
1GB RAM
nVidia Geforce 6600GT (PCI-E) 128MB Onboard RAM

Distro: Gentoo Linux
Profile: default-linux/x86/2006.0
Kernel: 2.6.16-gentoo-r8
GCC: 4.1.1/vanilla
glibc: 2.4-r3

nVIDIA kernel + glx: 1.0.8762 from Gentoo Portage
WINE: 0.9.15 from source + the 0.9.13_new patch from the WINE Appdb
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on all of this!

When I start the game, even though I have SET movie "0" in my Config.wtf, the game still crashes with BadMatch error.

I run wine 0.9.16 (brand new) with the 0.9.13-1 patch from WINEHQ.

Configuration information for fun:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1.28gb ram
nVidia Geforce 6600GT (PCI-E) 128MB Onboard RAM
Distro: Gentoo Linux
Profile: default-linux/x86/2006.0
Kernel: 2.6.16-gentoo
GCC: 3.4.6-r1
glibc: 2.3.6-r4

Running Xorg 7.1 and nvidia 1.0.8762 (with RenderAccel false).

The one thing that might be making a huge difference between tbacav and I is that even though I have a 64bit processor, my entire system is 32bit. That and I'm running a lower kernel, and lower versions of GCC+Glibc.

Go figure :roll:
tbacav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blk_jack wrote:
The one thing that might be making a huge difference between tbacav and I is that even though I have a 64bit processor, my entire system is 32bit. That and I'm running a lower kernel, and lower versions of GCC+Glibc.

I'm running a 32 bit world - see the profile :P

The lower level kernel shouldn't make a huge difference, you arn't far off mine. I should have mentioned my Xorg version is 7.0 and RenderAccel is on.

I find it quite strange that disabling the movie isn't enough. As I was upgrading all my UI mods anyway, I removed the WTF, WDB and Interface folders, recreated my custom AddOns (which you MUST include the minimap disable addon in - it appears to disable the minimap before it can crash WINE after character selection but before the world has loaded) and edited a new Config.wtf with the following contents:
Code:
SET gxApi "opengl"
SET gxWindow "1"
SET specular "0"
SET ffx "0"
SET pixelShaders "0"
SET movie "0"

Even without the custom UI mod, that config allowed me to start the client, log in, create a new Tauren Shaman, enter the world with him and then crash immediately upon entering a building. Can't help you much beyond that, though our hardware configs look almost identical :/
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toadicus wrote:
Game is running just fine for me, on both of my computers. One's running Gentoo ~x86, the other's running Ubuntu Dapper (32 bit), and I haven't run into any troubles of any kind. If anything, it's running better now. A friend of mine is running it in Gentoo ~amd64, and I just got done with a raid with him, so it's not a 64-bit issue, necessarily.

Well mine worked just prior to this and it still runs Frozen Throne just fine so I'm pretty sure it's a patch issue not my computer issue.

Not only that, but when I had tried out the test server (while the game was still working) everything was upside down and there was flickering. So something they did in this latest patch is to blame for my problems, though I have no idea why it doesn't affect everyone. I guess it could be the difference in video card since the drivers are the same (as I said, I use a 7800 GT).

EDIT:

I keep my old binaries packages so I downgraded wine to 0.9.14 and I can get in the game at least now, though it is EXTREMELY FLICKERY, but I'm going to try and downgrade it again to 0.9.13 and see if that helps.

OK, those that have it working what version of wine is being used, realized that I only had the latest 2 binaries saved for wine, so I don't want to rebuild several wine versions just to find out...
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird.. I was just updating/reemerging some packages (mesa, xgl, pango, glitz, etc) as well as some of the xorg-x11 7.1 X modules and suddenly WoW started working. I grabbed that minimap hider add-on, popped it in, and the game worked great.

So far I've only seen the inside of IF, but my framerate is already twice what it was before.

Weird!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: