xorg-server blocking nvidia-glx??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: xorg-server blocking nvidia-glx?? Reply with quote

hi all,

i've run into some recent weirdness after i attempted recompiling to see if -O3 was worth it. i rebuilt system and when i attempt to recompile world, i get this:
Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 (is blocking media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762)
!!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
!!!        at the same time on the same system.

currently this is what i have installed:
Code:
neptune ~ # equery list nvidia-glx
[ Searching for package 'nvidia-glx' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762 (0)
neptune ~ # equery list xorg-server
[ Searching for package 'xorg-server' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0 (0)

i placed the following in package.mask:
Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0

and it had no effect on the error message.

oddly, this error only pops up when i attempt an -eav re-emerge of world. if i attempt to update, everything is up to date and there are no complaints. it seems as if xorg-server-1.0.99 will be installed, but this package doesn't show up in an emerge -uav???

any advice?
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this out:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458721-highlight-blocked.html
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what goes in package.mask:
Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0
>=x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa-1.2.0
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.1
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0

barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback and pointer to the other thread. i sifted through much of that, and it looks like people are getting mixed results. is there a known, universal cure for this, or will i simply have to wait for new drivers? if i unmerge the nvidia drivers, will i be able to remerge them?

how did i get them installed in the first place? i'd remember if i had this problem and i don't...

btw, i've masked every x11-base and x11-drivers package i have installed to a version less than that causing the block and it has no effect on the error.

might i be so bold as to add that the forum search utility is terrible?
Kensai
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've had the same error before and just putting in package.mask the above I said solved everything. Remember after you put that in the /etc/portage/package.mask file you need to run emerge -uavtDN world and Xorg will be downgraded to 7.0 and then emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx. :wink:
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah - ok, my bad. thanks for clearing up that obvious, missing step. but what i still don't understand is how this happened in the first place.

at some point i went from the old xorg to the new, modular xorg. at some point thereafter, i upgraded nvidia's drivers and there were no complaints along the way. since then i may have updated world a couple times, and now this??

i'm not nuking or downgrading what packages i know work fine now. instead i'm trying something different -- at the moment, i did a simple
Code:
emerge -av  `cat /var/lib/portage/world | grep -v nvidia`

and will see how everything goes tomorrow.

i still get the msg after shutting down X that the driver blah blah ABI blah blah version blah blah... but the system is running like a charm as it is. all i wanted to do was compare -O2 and -O3 to see what the big deal is and i stepped in this. hopefully i won't regret it.

thanks for the info.
slackerman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABI compatibility issue didn't crop up until the 1.1 xorg stuff was released. Previous to that version, modular Xorg had no issues with the Nvidia proprietary stuff.

The correct solution is the package masking one already referred to in this thread. I'm sure (hope anyway) the next release of the Nvidia stuff will address this...
barfo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright...

i might be totally out of touch here, but it seems to me that something is terribly wrong with my system and it all relates to this problem.

after starting this thread and attempting the solution posted, i was unable to downgrade xorg-server. i received numerous errors during the compile of xorg-server - which i cannot post in detail because my machine now has no X.

I decided to take advantage of the hosed-ness of my system to repartition and move some drives around - i'd been meaning to do it for a while. so while at it i reinstalled, using the 2006.0 livecd to boot to a prompt, mount the drive and download the latest snapshot and stage3 tarballs.

i chrooted the partition, compiled the kernel and went about installing and setting up my apps, one of the first of course being X. i placed the aforementioned packages in package.mask, installed nvidia's drivers and voila - X didn't start giving me one of those errors that implies the nvidia driver couldn't be found even though the module inserted without error and was listed under lsmod.

thinking it was a linking or other odd problem, i decided to simply re-emerge xorg-7.0. guess what? xorg-x11 won't compile. i searched around and found a couple similar errors, the most similar requiring a re-emerge of x11-misc/makedepend. i tried that as well as several other things before trying a `emerge -eav system && emerge -eav world` before downing some scotch and going to bed...

needless to say, i'm posting all of this because my machine is no longer able to compile xorg-server, xorg-x11, libX<anything> and many other packages related to X. i'm afraid i cannot post a lot of output, because i can't easily get the info from the hosed PC to my laptop - although if it is really needed i can work something out - possibly hit the thread with links.

the errors typically follow what looks like perfectly good output. form what i can scroll through in the console buffer, there are *no* errors. there are many rows of gcc -blah blah blah some_file some_arg blah blah blah. there may be errors, but they are way ahead of the actual dump i receive when the compile stops.

revdep-rebuild finds nothing wrong. i've attempted to compile with gcc-3.4, gcc-4.? and even with default cflags and no use flags. each time i made a change, i also re-emerged system --emptytree and logged out/in to make certain things were updated in the environment.

my std cflags are -fomit-frome-pointer, -maccumulate-outgoing-args and -pipe. my arch is athlon-k8, all 32bit. i was trying out -O3 but went back to -O2 early to save time.

i've been running gentoo for about four years now and have only run into a problem like this when i first attempted moving to modular xorg. can enyone shed some light on what might be going on?

this is also interesting -- just for poops and giggles, i uninstalled the nvidia drivers, removed the package.mask files, and then attempted to upgrade to the latest xorg. guess what? that wouldn't compile either.... i'm getting frustrated. in case you think it may be my system memory or some other hardware, i can almost certainly rule that out. the problem is too consistent and the machine was perfectly stable before i started monkeying around with X.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads.

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458721.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: