Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Samba and win2k domain controller ?! Winbind.......
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pZYchO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Samba and win2k domain controller ?! Winbind....... Reply with quote

Hi there,

I set up a win2k domain controller, I want samba to act as fileserver in the domain... Joining the samba server into the domain wasn't a problem, but authentication against the win2k server failed...

Here is a part of my smb.conf:
Code:

[global]
   workgroup = pzychonet
   netbios name = fileserver
   server string = FileServer
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   hosts allow = 192.168.199. 127.
   security = domain

password server = pzycho-dc-w2k
   encrypt passwords = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

interfaces = eth0 192.168.199.0/24
   bind interfaces only = yes
   hide local users = yes

domain master = no
   preferred master = no
   domain logons = no

dns proxy = no

winbind enum users = yes
   winbind enum groups = yes

winbind uid = 30000-40000
   winbind gid = 30000-40000

template homedir = /var/lib
   template shell = /bin/false

winbind cache time = 60
   winbind use default domain = yes

[teamdrive]
   comment = teamdrive
   path = /data/teamdrive
   writable = yes
   create mode = 0600
   directory mask = 0700
   force user = smb
   write list = @home, mighty

As you can see, I added the user smb, this user has full access to my share(s) (I only added an example, whole smb.conf is too large). I added the user with smbpasswd (-n to avoid the user/password box).
That's enough security for my home network... =)

When I try to connect (from the domain controller) the user / password box appears. Even if I put in smb as user i cannot connect.
Because of that problem I changed the password. After trying to connect again, I get the box again and can connect as smb / <password>

But there is another hing which makes it really interessting. When I try to connect as a user the domain controller don't know, in the log file appears a message that the user can not be found... When I use a known user no message appears in the log..........

I tried a lot of things, read all documentations I found but I wasn't able to solve the problem.

Hope somebody can help me...

Thx...

P.S.: Sorry about my english, I'm german...... =)
SirJoltalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: smbpasswd Reply with quote

The user smb - which password did you change? When you use samba, there are sort of "two" users. One UNIX user and one Samba user. There is a way to link them together, so that changes to the UNIX user affect the Samba user, but I can't remember precisely what it is.

So you'll need to use smbpasswd to add a Samba user 'smb', and give that user the password you want.

In general, what I do for Samba-only users is setup a UNIX user with no password, no homedir (maybe you want them to have a homedir for Samba, up to you) and no shell (or /bin/false as shell). Then they can't login on the console, so the lack of password doesn't matter too much. I also make sure they're not in any important groups, like wheel or anything. Then just use smbpasswd to add a Samba user with the same username, and set the password there.

I think that might be your problem, but maybe you knew that already...
pZYchO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

unfortunately that's not the problem. I know what you are talking about. But I have another Problem.

Winbind creates the link between unix and windows users (domain users). That works for me, I can even login to unix with a windows user (DOMAIN+USER), the password is the same (like from win client).

With wbinfo -u I can see all users, with winbind -g all goups (on domain controller), but winbind doesn't add the users to unix (getent passwd, getent group doesn't show the domain users / groups).

That the problem.

What I really can't understand is, that wbinfo can resolve domain users to unix uids... They are in the range I gave winbind in smb.conf.........
If somebody had the problem, or have an idea please advise me.........
pZYchO
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now it works... I don't know why and how, but it works... =) I remerged the package, because of acl support.......

That's my next Problem, anyone expirience on setting up acl support. If possible I want to use reiserfs.......
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: