Installing 1.1a through a VERY restrictive firewall
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapplegate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Installing 1.1a through a VERY restrictive firewall Reply with quote

Our corporate firewall is VERY restrictive allowing only on port out through a proxy. There were two places that I had to make cahnges to the default installation to get it to work with my setup. I just thought that these might come in handy for others that are struggling.

Code Listing 18 "emerge rsync"

To allow my setup to work, I did the following BEFORE executing the above command:
export RSYNC_PROXY=<my proxy info>:<port>

Code Listing 19/20

I first edited the /etc/make.conf to include my PROXY info as stipulated in the documentation. However, when I executed bootstrap.sh, it would hang on contacting ibiblio.org:80. To fix this I did the following:

export http_proxy=<my proxy info>:<port>
export ftp_proxy=<my proxy info>:<port>
(*NOTICE* the lowercase use instead of the uppercase. The /etc/make.conf sets the values for HTTP_PROXY and FTP_PROXY, however I think some other script must need to use http_proxy and ftp_proxy.)

I hope this helps some other people, or maybe the info was obvious and I am a llama. By the way GREAT job so far Gentoo!

-Kristopher Applegate
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the contribution. I also installed Gentoo through a restrictive firewall. I was able to set the HTTP/FTP proxy in the wgetrc file as an alternate means of establishing the proxy connection. (It's always good to have options, right? :))

For those folks who, like me, can't use rsync through their firewall, so I ended up writing a script that downloads the latest portage tarball and untars it to the /usr/portage directory.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: