Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New portage 2.1 removes arts from KDE 2.5.2 ebuilds?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urcindalo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: New portage 2.1 removes arts from KDE 2.5.2 ebuilds? Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for reading this.

I've just upgraded this morning to portage 2.1 stable. I upated the metadata and also re-run "emerge --sync" afterwards without having upgraded anything else before that.

The thing is that when I try to update my system as usual with "emerge --update --newuse --deep --ask -vt world" after the second rsync I get a lot of recompilations like this:
Code:
[ebuild   R   ]  kde-base/kwin-3.5.2-r2  USE="-arts* -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xcomposite -xinerama" 0 kB

The list is pretty long and shows (all?) my KDE packages lose the "arts" flag. I even lost it in /etc/make.conf.

Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely you didn't even have it in your make.conf but it got enabled via Automatic USE flags. The new portage doesn't use automatic USE flags anymore (by default) so you have to enable the missing use flags manually by adding them to your make.conf.
urcindalo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paapaa wrote:
The new portage doesn't use automatic USE flags anymore (by default) ...

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

However, I didn't remove "arts" or any other missing USE flag from my /etc/make.conf. It is profuse to be blamed for it.
As I've checked after manually reinsterting the missing flags, whenever I use profuse and save the changes (even if none), I lose once again those flags.

So, I recommend not to edit your USE flags with profuse until it gets updated to get along with the new portage version.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New portage 2.1 removes arts from KDE 2.5.2 ebuilds? Reply with quote

urcindalo wrote:
The list is pretty long and shows (all?) my KDE packages lose the "arts" flag. I even lost it in /etc/make.conf.

Is this normal?

It depends. The autouse feature has been disabled by default, but the arts use flag is in make.defaults of all 200x.y profiles, so I guess you chose to use a more general profile.
urcindalo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest stable profile is 2006.0, and here you are the content of my AMD64's make.defaults:
Code:
$ cat /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2006.0/make.defaults
# Copyright 1999-2005 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2006.0/make.defaults,v 1.18 2006/06/10 00:59:13 kingtaco Exp $

FEATURES="sandbox autoconfig"

ABI=amd64

# Hack to tell baselayout to use symlinks for /lib, /usr/lib, and /usr/local/lib
SYMLINK_LIB="yes"

# Switch to nptl, but no nptlonly yet.
USE="nptl -nptlonly"

USE="${USE} alsa avi berkdb crypt cups eds emboss encode foomaticdb gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde lzw lzw-tiff mp3 mpeg ncurses nls opengl pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl tcpd tiff usb zlib X xpm xv zlib -java"

As you can see there's no "arts" in this default file if you choose to follow the stable path.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see Portage 2.1 'autouse' flags - now what.

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: