Xorg 7.1 and ati-drivers--8.25.18 not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotslash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Xorg 7.1 and ati-drivers--8.25.18 not working Reply with quote

Hello all,

For once it seems that I got a little bit "ahead of myself", and ended up ahead of vendor support for X. I updated my system today, which included the modular Xorg update to 7.1 which contains xorg-server-1.1.0. The problem here is that the latest ATI fglrx driver, ati-drivers--8.25.18, does not work with this version of Xorg, or doesn't seem to be doing so. I unmerged it, and upon trying to remerge it, I also get the following problems:

Code:

# emerge ati-drivers
Calculating dependencies ... done!

!!! Error: the >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 package conflicts with another package;
!!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

# emerge -p ati-drivers
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!
[blocks B     ] >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 (is blocking x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.25.18)
[ebuild  N    ] x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.25.18  USE="opengl"

Now this is plain weird to me. I've lost track with the way portage handles version blocks quite some time ago, so I've got no idea where to go from here. Perhaps this is a good thing, because if I try to install the driver via running the *.run file by itself, the installer complains heavily about things like directory names it could not find etc. It is clear that the driver itself is not going to install without some expert coaxing, so the above block might just be helping us saving us from ourselves.

My hardware is an Acer TravelMate 4672WLMi with the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 chipset. This particular chipset does not work with the generic "radeon" driver, with the result that I have to use the "vesa" driver. Now, the vesa driver maxes out at 1024x768, whilst the native screen size of my notebook is 1280x800, so things looks seriously stretched out (not to mention the extreme slowness of the vesa driver...).

Ouch! :-) Does anybody have suggestions, or know about fixes or workarounds? I haven't reported this as a bug, since it's clearly a "Proprietry Blob" issue rather than a problem with Xorg or Gentoo in general, but it would be nice if there be some form of a fix, however temporary, until ATI got their shoes untied from each other.

Grrr!
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The blocker is there for ati and nvidia drivers since they won't work with the new xorg-server. The workaround is to mask xorg-server and any associated drivers to get the 7.0 version back. As a guide, here are the packages I've masked in /etc/portage/package.mask:
Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.1.2-r1
>=x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa-1.2.0
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.1
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0

Substitute the drivers that match your setup, of course. Mixing this part of xorg 7.0 with the remainder of 7.1 works fine. We just have to wait for ati (and in my case nvidia) to release compatible drivers. :(

See this thread for more details.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads.

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-458721.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: