Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mounting partitions as user (heres what ive done)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:55 pm    Post subject: mounting partitions as user (heres what ive done) Reply with quote

all my parirtitions mount correctly, but i have to be root in order to do it and my samba partition doesn't automount.... here is my fstab:

Code:

/dev/fd/fd0             /mnt/floppy     user,ext3       exec,user,noauto        0 0
====================================
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/dvdrom     iso9660         exec,user,noauto,ro     0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrw       iso9660         exec,user,noauto,ro     0 0
#windows mounts just fine all by itself
/dev/hda1               /mnt/windows    vfat            uid=1001,gid=10,exec,user,unmask=002,dev            1 1
# but this doesnt
//chrislaptop/shareddocs     /mnt/shared     smbfs      uid=1001,gid=10,exec,dev,unmask=002,password=       0 0

using kuser manage i gather taht 1001 is my user's id and 10 is group wheel's id, but for some reason i still have to be root to mount all this
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add "user" to the options line, and make sure netmount launches automatically (rc-update add netmount default).
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: user Reply with quote

i tried that and still no go... there is no file in /var/log/samba/... and what about the cd drives... could it be that i have to many options in that field and they somehow cancel eachother out?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it "no go"? Please describe.

There is no log file in /var/log/samba because mounting of remote SMB filesystems is done by the smbfs kernel modules (under network filesystems).

CD drives shouldn't affect your SMB mount...
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: no go Reply with quote

sorry for being vague. no go means samba doesnt automount nor can my user mount it. as far as the cds go, i would also like to allow my user to mount those aswell, but i dont care about automount (it'd be nice if they would mount when i put a cd in'em and unmount when i ejected alla other OSs)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure netmount is set to start on boot (rc-update add netmount default), that should mount your share automatically. As far as 'user' goes, check the directory permissions, and note that only root can unmount something mounted by a different user. So, since /etc/init.d/netmount runs as root, your users won't be able to touch it unless root unmounts first.
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: cds are go... smbs still no go Reply with quote

that worked for my cd-drives. as for netmount:

* netmount already installed in runlevel default; skipping

i dont care that i wont be able to mount it as a user if i could automount it on boot...
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/init.d/netmount restart ?
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that mounts my samba partition alright (when i run it as root) but then again so does mount /mnt/shared....

maybe this helps when i boot it tells me "couldnt mount all network partitions" but as usual it assumes i know why..

Code:

//chrislaptop/shareddocs     /mnt/shared     smbfs     uid=1001,gid=10,exec,dev,unmask=002,password=       0 0

...im sure the answer is in there somewhere

if there was some sort of log file or more specific error message i could investigate... i guess as long as i can mount the partition it doesnt matter

i find that after chown /mnt/shared i can now mount it as a user (but not unmount it and thats fine), maybe ill just call this a victory and move on to screwing with XDMCP. (insert 3 scary tones "DUHN dUHn duhn")
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: