View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: *cry* Reply with quote

Sorry for this, I just need to whine a little while Gnome is still compiling...
I installed Gentoo two days ago for the first time and had a wonderfull desktop. I decided to move it over to my fast partition and wasn't really carefull doing that. I basically expected to erase all my data. At the end I just used "mv" from the installation CD to move my data from one partition to the other and after it really looked like it would blow up everything, It actually worked. I could boot up the new system without any problems and I couldn't believe my luck!
But guess what... There where a a few files left in /oldpart/usr/bin and /oldpart/usr/lib so I decided to move them over with Nautilus. I moved both folders into my /usr directory and it asked me to replace the files. I said yes. Instead of merging the directories it actually deleted my old /usr/bin and /usr/lib dirs and replaced them with the new ones...
If god really exists, he just made fun of me. Bastard.

Now I'm basically rebuilding my whole system, it's all I did the whole day... At least the system was usable again after quickly extracting a new stage3 system from CDROM. Now emerging is a little tricky because it doesn't know about all those missing dependencies of course. :/
ZagiFlyer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Bleeding Edge Reply with quote

There is a reason people refer to the "bleeding edge" :lol: .

--Ben Franklin
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: *cry* Reply with quote

Not going to help you now, but you may want to look at this:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/partplan.html
when you do it the next time :)

BTW, "cp -ax" is your friend. Also, keep the old partition until you're really sure that the new one works!

Spark wrote:
Sorry for this, I just need to whine a little while Gnome is still compiling...
I installed Gentoo two days ago for the first time and had a wonderfull desktop. I decided to move it over to my fast partition and wasn't really carefull doing that. I basically expected to erase all my data. At the end I just used "mv" from the installation CD to move my data from one partition to the other and after it really looked like it would blow up everything, It actually worked. I could boot up the new system without any problems and I couldn't believe my luck!
But guess what... There where a a few files left in /oldpart/usr/bin and /oldpart/usr/lib so I decided to move them over with Nautilus. I moved both folders into my /usr directory and it asked me to replace the files. I said yes. Instead of merging the directories it actually deleted my old /usr/bin and /usr/lib dirs and replaced them with the new ones...
If god really exists, he just made fun of me. *beep*.

Now I'm basically rebuilding my whole system, it's all I did the whole day... At least the system was usable again after quickly extracting a new stage3 system from CDROM. Now emerging is a little tricky because it doesn't know about all those missing dependencies of course. :/
Spark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: *cry* Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
Not going to help you now, but you may want to look at this:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/partplan.html
when you do it the next time :)

BTW, "cp -ax" is your friend. Also, keep the old partition until you're really sure that the new one works!

Funny thing is, I actually read that HOWTO. Naively as I was, I just tried to to it from my running system. It seemed to lock and gave me one unknown error message. I thought I better go into singleuser mode but this gave me the same result so I thought I better don't do it while I'm running a system on this disk and booted from the Gentoo bootdisk, mounted both partitions and tried the same. But the cp (seems to be part of "busybox") doesn't know the -ax param. =) So because I'm lazy, impatient and overall way too optimistic, I just did it with mv. ;)
That's why I was so surprised that it actually worked so good although it was mostly "try and error".
And then I encounter this stupid Nautilus misbehaviour removing nothing but all my binraries and libs. =)
Gnome is already running again though, I just lost a day to this. Good night. :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: