View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 package conflicts with anot Reply with quote

sme new updates to xorg7 poped up in my emerge --sync BUT they are getting blocked

Code:

[blocks B     ] >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 (is blocking media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762)
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1_rc4 [2.1_rc3-r5] USE="-build -doc" LINGUAS="-pl" 269 kB
*** Portage will stop merging at this point and reload itself,
    then resume the merge.
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/mesa-6.5-r3 [6.4.2-r2] USE="motif nptl% -debug" VIDEO_CARDS="-i810 -mach64 -mga -none -r128 -radeon -s3virge -savage -sis -tdfx -trident -via" 2,990 kB
[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/libutempter-1.1.2.1  21 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-terms/xterm-207-r1 [207] USE="truetype unicode -Xaw3d -doc -toolbar" 727 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0 [1.0.2-r4] USE="dri ipv6 nptl% sdl% xorg% xprint -3dfx% -debug -dmx% -kdrive% -minimal" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard% mouse% -acecad% -aiptek% -calcomp% -citron% -digitaledge% -dmc% -dynapro% -elo2300% -elographics% -evdev% -fpit% -hyperpen% -jamstudio% -joystick% -magellan% -magictouch% -microtouch% -mutouch% -palmax% -penmount% -spaceorb% -summa% -synaptics% -tek4957% -ur98% -vmmouse% -void% -wacom%" VIDEO_CARDS="nv% nvidia% vesa% -apm% -ark% -chips% -cirrus% -cyrix% -dummy% -epson% -fbdev% -fglrx% -glint% -i128% -i740% -i810% -imstt% -mach64% -mga% -neomagic% -nsc% -r128% -radeon% -rendition% -s3% -s3virge% -savage% -siliconmotion% -sis% -sisusb% -tdfx% -tga% -trident% -tseng% -v4l% -vga% -via% -vmware% -voodoo%" 6,174 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv-1.1.2 [1.0.2.0] USE="-debug" 270 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa-1.2.0 [1.0.1.3] USE="-debug" 230 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762  USE="-dlloader" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.1 [1.0.4] USE="-debug" 260 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0 [1.0.1.3] USE="-debug" 226 kB
[ebuild     U ] dev-python/pyrex-0.9.4.1 [0.9.3.1] 177 kB
[ebuild     U ] dev-libs/nspr-4.6.2 [4.6.1-r2] USE="ipv6" 1,271 kB
[ebuild     U ] dev-libs/nss-3.11.1 [3.11-r1] 3,564 kB
[ebuild     U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.4 [1.5.0.3] USE="gnome ipv6 java xinerama xprint -debug -mozdevelop" 34,685 kB
[ebuild     U ] app-doc/xorg-docs-1.2 [1.1-r1] USE="-debug -doc" 8,132 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-apps/mesa-progs-6.5 [6.4.2] 803 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1 [7.0-r1] 0 kB

... done!

!!! Error: the >=x11-base/xorg-server-1.0.99 package conflicts with another package;
!!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

for some reason nvidia-glx is blocking the update. I use to have nvidia-glx emerged so I un-emerged it just to see what would happen but since I have the nvidia-kernel it wants to pull GLX in (and rightly so)

so how do I update xorg?
vPat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

down grade your nvidia-glx and kernel, the dev's think that nvidia-glx brakes xorg for everyone but it only does for some people =(
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah, gotta be a better solution
vPat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, here read the cia commit.

I just commented out the line in the ebuild blocking it, then made the digest again and emerged away =D
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vPat wrote:
Nope, here read the cia commit.

I just commented out the line in the ebuild blocking it, then made the digest again and emerged away =D

Damb! going all the way back to stable nvidia!!!! that is rediculous!! I don't even think my card works with the stable driver

so two options
1) do as you do (but there must be a reason for such a drastic blocking)
2) mask the latest xorg-server and sit it out
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neither are that promising.

Is this a xorg or nvidia problem?

Hopefully its an xorg problem as a fix will be probably be quicker (hopefully)

[edit]

And its even worse for amd64 as im back passed the lastest stable nvidia package

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec
vPat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a nvidia issue from what i can workout, but just do what i do and chuck it in your local overlay =D
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what version of nvidia-kernel does xorg-server block till? Ive gone back to the 1.0.66* and xorg is still blocking nvidia

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Xorg-x11 7.1 would stay hard-masked until there were working, closed source nvidia drivers available for it. Apparently the Gentoo portage dictators think differently about this than I do.

[offtopic]
I switched to 7.1 this morning by setting VIDEO_CARDS="nv" instead of VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv" updated world and made the appropriate change to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
I must say it runs quite nice, except for the fact I have to miss dual-head and acceleration that comes with de proprietary drivers.
I can use all mouse buttons the right way now (with the updated evdev driver) without xmodmap tricks. Configuration of evdev devices in xorg.conf is also more sane now: I don't need to use udev rules anymore to distinct my mouse from other evdev devices.
[/offtopic]

I can live with it for now, Go nvidia Go, go go!
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irondog wrote:
I thought Xorg-x11 7.1 would stay hard-masked until there were working, closed source nvidia drivers available for it. Apparently the Gentoo portage dictators think differently about this than I do.

I agree with this sentiment. I'd guess there are a vast chunk of people running ~x86 wit NVidia hardware and the closed driver.

Anyway I've taken the plunge and upgraded X, and moved to the nv driver, which is _appallingly_ slow even in 2D - scrolling text in the konsole is very jerky. Now I wish I hadn't sold my old Matrox G400 to a mate.

EDIT - does anyone know what happened to the X utility 'vidtune', you know the one where you can shift your screen left/right/up/down, and squash/expand it, to fine tune your modeline? It doesn't seem to be there (has it been ditched from xorg?), and the nv and nvidia drivers differ slightly in how the screen appears on my crt, my modeline need a minor tweak.

EDIT #2 - Modular X eh? emerge xvidtune.
irondog
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
I agree with this sentiment. I'd guess there are a vast chunk of people running ~x86 wit NVidia hardware and the closed driver.
Yes, It will break many systems and it surprised me when 7.1 appeared as an update-candidate on my nvidia computer. On two of my non-nvidia machines I unmasked 7.1 two weeks ago. I assumed the hard mask was only there to avoid nvidia people from updating to 7.1. Common sense...

Okay ~ARCH is testing and things can always break when running unstable software, but why was there a hard mask in the first place? Right now we have 6.8 users (stable) and 7.1 (testing) users. Stupid devs ;) Xorg 7.0 is the most useable version but kind of unavailable in Gentoo since today.

Quote:
Now I wish I hadn't sold my old Matrox G400 to a mate.
Don't let portage take decisions for you: We are not obliged to run 7.1 because some devs decided to unmask it :) :) (but somehow we just do ;))
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cause some dev decided it was ok to un-hardmask xorg7.1 doesn't mean we have to agree with him
Xorg7.1 is quite at home in my package.mask and I am happy with 7.0
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg 7.1 introduces an ABI change that makes the proprietary Nvidia and ATI drivers not work with it. Nvidia expects to support the new ABI in a 9xxx release. As to when that release happens is anyone's guess, but there are currently beta 9xxx Windows drivers, so probably not too long now. No idea on the ATI front, I don't have any ATI cards supported by their drivers.
grofaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...so how do I go back to my old xorg-x11 (the one before todays update to 7.1)??? It was working fine with nvidia. Now it's crap, can't start X.

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!

grofaz...out
grofaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oopps!! Now I did it. I went back to the last stable version forgetting I went to modular X. What a fiasco!! Compiling now. Where will it all end??

out
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATi's driver broke too in this xorg-server update. The new xorg-server should not have gone ~arch. I had to remove the ati drivers for it to install, and I can't put them back for ANY version now that the new xorg-server is in place. I'm going to have to mask the new xorg-server and re-downgrade X -- This is going to happen to nearly every ~arch user. Imo xorg 7.1 (which this new xorg-server is for) should stay hard masked until these driver issues are fixed and compliant drivers are in portage. Limiting selection to the open-source drivers that don't support 3d on most cards is not an option for most ~arch users...
Mad Merlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xithix wrote:
ATi's driver broke too in this xorg-server update. The new xorg-server should not have gone ~arch. I had to remove the ati drivers for it to install, and I can't put them back for ANY version now that the new xorg-server is in place. I'm going to have to mask the new xorg-server and re-downgrade X -- This is going to happen to nearly every ~arch user. Imo xorg 7.1 (which this new xorg-server is for) should stay hard masked until these driver issues are fixed and compliant drivers are in portage. Limiting selection to the open-source drivers that don't support 3d on most cards is not an option for most ~arch users...

The thread about the Xorg 7.1 ABI change has been stickied here for quite awhile. If you're an ~arch user and just blindly upgrade all the time (especially while still relying on proprietary drivers), you can expect breakages from time to time, this is one of them. The alternative is to upgrade with caution, or to stay with arch.
grofaz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Merlin wrote:
Xithix wrote:

The thread about the Xorg 7.1 ABI change has been stickied here for quite awhile. If you're an ~arch user and just blindly upgrade all the time (especially while still relying on proprietary drivers), you can expect breakages from time to time, this is one of them. The alternative is to upgrade with caution, or to stay with arch.

bummer!
Maleita
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i delete the < in front of = and works............
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather simple mask, for you lazy ones: (should work if you just use keyboard and mouse for INPUT_DEVICES... if not you might have to add some stuff)
Code:
~x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
~x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0
~x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0
~x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.1

This would only mask the version mentioned and it's revisions. If you want it to mask newer ones, just replace the ~ with >=
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Merlin wrote:
Xithix wrote:

An upgrade well-known to break stuff shouldn't be unmasked in the first place until the breakage is fixed enough for proper testing for the majority of ~arch users so the remaining bugs can be hammered out before it can go stable. For example, there were bugs when gcc4 got unmasked but for the most part it just worked fine with a bug here and there. Not complete, total, and known breakage of drivers a *LOT* of ~arch users and users in general use. I'm not complaining that I had to downgrade stuff. Having ~arch in my accept_keywords I expect this. I just don't expect to have to fool with something that breaks something so common as the ati/nvidia drivers are. And it's not just ~arch folk. Some people have put all of X into package.keywords, and if they used >= insstead of = they will get "updated" too.

The only redemption is that blocks were put in place for xorg-server. Imo at least blocks should have been placed on every xorg 7.1 package. Still, it shouldn't have been unmasked. I don't expect to have to put stuff in package.mask for emerge -u to function.
Queen K. Bee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7.1 update to xorg is a really nice new release on the free drivers front, specially for ATI users. As much as I can understand your frustrations, I really hope gentoo doesn't start waiting on proprietary vendors before upgrading other parts of the system, like never upgrading the kernel because vmware is not ready or other such non-sense. Of course, the flexibility of gentoo allows you to not upgrade until it's fixed, or even to bypass the block, etc...
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen K. Bee wrote:
The 7.1 update to xorg is a really nice new release on the free drivers front, specially for ATI users. As much as I can understand your frustrations, I really hope gentoo doesn't start waiting on proprietary vendors before upgrading other parts of the system, like never upgrading the kernel because vmware is not ready or other such non-sense. Of course, the flexibility of gentoo allows you to not upgrade until it's fixed, or even to bypass the block, etc...

Agreed, but some extra checks/messages need to be added to portage then
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg 7.1 does NOT break nvidia driver for everyone - there have been people for whom it worked well. Today I synced and suddenly nvidia isn't blocking xorg 7.1 anymore. Due to the fact that the ebuild hasn't been updated I think it may be a bug of the new portage unstable release. Yet I am emerging xorg 7.1 right now and will report if nvidia binary driver works with it.

Edit: binary nvidia driver works fine with xorg 7.1 :

Code:
guest ~ # equery l xorg-server
[ Searching for package 'xorg-server' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0 (0)
guest ~ # equery l nvidia-glx
[ Searching for package 'nvidia-glx' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] media-video/nvidia-glx-1.0.8762 (0)

Edit2: How do I check which version of xorg is running at runtime ?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of 3D responce do you get, even a simple glxgears will do
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: