Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
So I went with the winex ebuild......................
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: So I went with the winex ebuild...................... Reply with quote

Is the ebuild still bugy? Should I go with the cvs version? This will be my first attempt to ever do anything with wine/winex is there a good place to find information on it? I will be using if for Ghost Recon if possible, as well as Sum Of All Fears. Maybe some other games. Not a BIG gamer realy. Any info on these games with winex and winex its self would be greately appreciated. I have posted general questions on it before but now I am ready to actually install winex and feel I need a little more info thanks.

Last edited by FINITE on Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new ebuild with a current (yesterday's) WineX CVS was released, so, yes, go for the ebuild. Remember, you can always checkout the CVS and make your own ebuild from it. That's what I do anyway.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you mke an ebuild? Is there an howto for this. I've been interested in doing this but don't know how really. Thanks for the info.
zypher
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the forum for wine and cvs, there is a good howto on building your own distfile and so on.
I currently emerge winex-20020628 from the portage tree, we'll see.
Had to dl it manually from ibiblio cuz it was named winex-20020726.tar.bz2 ;-).
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it is allowed but isn't it against TransGaming Technologies that for example WineX CVS Snapshot ebuilds exist ?
You don't need to register to get the most recent source code ?

Sure, it's free for CVS access but anyway... ;)

Correct me if I am wrong...I don't use Wine(X)
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats this about...i just downloaded the latest ebuild

* app-emulation/winex
Latest version Available: 20020628
Latest version Installed: 20020728
Homepage: http://www.transgaming.com/
Description: WineX is a distribution of Wine with enhanced DirectX for
gaming

at first it downloaded then refused to build until i created digest...i think its because i did a cvs the first time..arrgghh...should i do something to correct the version referances?
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Heh Reply with quote

I think someone at Gentoo messed up the name of the package to say 07 instead of 06.

FINITE: I posted pretty detailed steps to creating your own ebuild out of a WineX CVS checkout so just search for it and you should have no problem from there. I still make my own checkouts instead of using Gentoo's ebuilds mainly because any checkout I make will be more recent. If you want to know how the latest CVS version of WineX will work with you game(s) then goto the Transgaming site and do a search for your particular game.

Scandium: Gentoo isn't distributing the subscriber commercial binaries here - they're redistributing the publically available CVS checkouts. So you don't get the CD copy protection code that's available in the commercial releases of WineX.
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, on the whole issue of date/month confusion with the latest ebuild of WineX, I just read this from the changelog:

Quote:

Note: fix a moth confussion

* app-emulation/winex/ChangeLog, 1.3
* app-emulation/winex/winex-20020628.ebuild, 1.1
* app-emulation/winex/winex-20020728.ebuild, 1.2
* app-emulation/winex/files/digest-winex-20020628, 1.1
* app-emulation/winex/files/digest-winex-20020728, 1.2
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the ebuild installed and you do the cvs that blk_jack laysout will it over write the ebuild...or should you emerge unmerge winex befroe and remove the wine folder in your home directory before building from the cvs
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which route should I take? If the ebuild is good to go then creating my own from cvs would be pointless accept for fun I guess. I will go with the ebuild for now I think. Thanks.

PS: I was thinking of emerging remotely and wanted to make sure that after emerge there wasn't anything I needed to do that required running x or anything to finnish installing. Just want to get it installed from "here" and will do the rest when I get home.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is only like a few simple steps to doing what blk_jack has posted....i was only concerned with keeping the hierachial way gentoo is built in place...but i am not even sure what that means...LOL

go for the cvs FINITE...just look over the forums as to how the latest build is working for those using it
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried to emerge the latest ebuild and it locks up my computer when the ebuild is compiling. Right after I see a bunch of invalid pointer types errors. Could this have something to do with my kernel having grsecurity enabled and varrious option under? I read somewhere that this can cause problems with wine/x. Its strange though, the previous ebuild emerged fine.

I think that I will have to use latest CVS version. blk_jack, I couldn't find your ebuild howto for winex cvs. I did a search for posts under your nic and could not find it.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I figured out that trying to emerge winex as root was the problem. Not sure why but emergeing as user worked fine. I also emerge winesetuptk and im almost home free. Im trying to install Alice and I get this error:

Code:
err:win32:do_relocations Standard load address for a Win32 program (0x00400000) not available - security-patched kernel ?
err:win32:do_relocations FATAL: Need to relocate N:\setup.exe, but no relocation records present (stripped during link). Try to run that file directly !
wine: can't exec 'n:setup.exe': error=21

So I am afraid that my kernel security settings are possibily causing this and will have to recompile my kernel. The question is what part of grsecurity needs to be removed? I read somewhere here that openwall or something needed to be removed. I will of course search for it again but incase there are other things that need to be done im posting this. Is grsecurity even that important? Could I just remove it all together?
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sucks. Just realized that only the pay version of winex will install alice since it has safedisc. Well I guess I will have to find another game to try.
blk_jack
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goto www.gamecopyworld.com and grab a cracked executable that works around that. It'll let you play in WineX.
FINITE
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I removed grsecurity from the kernel and can now atleast get games to try and install only to find that they don't work well with wine. Like simecity300 installed but I kept getting error during install about a window belonging to another process. I managed to get it to complete the install but it will not run. I havn't tried going back to Alice yet cause I had to go to work. So basically even though it has the copy protection I should be able to install and then just get the no cd path and crack it. Right? I hope so :D
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm Kilber is quite rightly upset about us guy's discussing modded exe's even though we might be using them for ligitament reason's so it might pay just to think of the obvious :) .
But yes the games should install fine , there are still some issues with installer versions , so it might pay to also have a look at the transgaming website to see if the installer simcity uses has issues , or wine has just released directx support with there latest release so it could be worth having a bash with that.. :)

Cheers
Dale.
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be worth checking the winex config to see wether winex is using the wm to manage game windows or not ...it may make a diference...

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: