how do you get apm/acpi working?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blamothe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: how do you get apm/acpi working? Reply with quote

hi, i have a gateway 450s laptop and i am trying to get power management working. i have searched long and hard over the internet and i havn't found any usefuls howto's. here's what i have done so far. i compiled apm support in my kernel and emerged apmd, but when i try to suspend the computer with apm -s, one of two things happens. sometimes it goes totally down for about a second, then comes right back up, and sometimes it goes down fine, but when i try to bring it back up, the fan just starts going and the power light indicates that its supposed to be back up, but the screen stays black and the fan just keeps going for no matter how long i keep it. my power button is supposed to send the computer into suspend when i press it, (i changed that in my bios), but when i do that, it goes down fine, but when i try to bring it back up, the fan just keeps going like what happens sometimes when i type apm -s. the same thing happens when my battery runs down and the computer goes into suspend automatically, i can't pull it back up, even though i am plugged in. when i do apm -S to put it into sleep mode, absolutely nothing happens. i don't think i have an acpi system because when i tried that and pressed the power button, the computer didn't even go into suspend, nothing happend at all. am i missing anything? can anyone tell me what i should do to bring my system back after suspend? thanks.

Last edited by blamothe on Sun May 11, 2003 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
brsett
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No simple answers for you, but the place to begin is reading about what bios you have, and fiond out how apm compatible it really is. If it were a Dell, I could volunteer some bios to try, but I am unfamiliar with Gateway laptops.
blamothe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i called my computer manufacturer and found out that my system supports either apm or acpi, so, i guess my question has changed. which one is better to use, and whichever one that is, how in the world do you get it working? any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot.
RangerDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACPI is uncomplete for the moment. It only allows power off, temperature and battery status. Forget about sleep!
APM for notebooks I havn't tried.
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/sleep.html
int1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APM tends to be more robust right now than ACPI. While I use ACPI on my new Dell Inspiron 8500, I had to use the latest ac-sources and still manually patch the kernel to get (most of) it to work.

I'd go with APM if you can.

int1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: