gentoo *BSD general questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: gentoo *BSD general questions Reply with quote

I am interested in gentoo FreeBSD and gentoo OpenBSD

*Does gentoo FreeBSD include the OpenHAL?(a 100% Free software driver for atheros wifi cards present in OpenBSD),and what is the politic of FreeBSD reguarding the blobs,if OpenBSD reverse engeneer something in order to include it in their OS does FreeBSD take it or do they keep the blobs?

*do we still need a portage overlay such as in the installation manual for FreeBSD

*how far is the OpenBSD gentoo from the FreeBSD actual state

*what is avaliable under linux that isn't under BSD???

*i have also an unrelated question: what is the difference between the uttilities of FreeBSD openBSD and the GNu uttilities?(in term of qualitry,security...)
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, gentoo BSD is something cool to play with, but nothing to take seriously. If you want FreeBSD, go for freeBSD. If you want Gentoo, go for Gentoo. the problem is that BSD evolves faster than Gentoo BSD can catch up. So unless more effort is put into the project, this will be remain as something experimental. Just an opinion, others might think differently :roll:
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that i am used to gentoo design and i love portage
so if i devcide to use FreeBSD or OpenBSD on a box i'll choose gentoo even if they are behind FreeBSD or OpenBSD
batistuta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that I'm not answering your question, and I by no means want to put down the effort that Gentoo BSD people are doing. It's always a matter of choice and you of course can choose. I'd like to point out though, that ports is not *that* much different from portage. The amounts of SW packages (that a typical system uses) is very similar, so one of the main differences is the kernel, which is the whole point of Gentoo BSD.

If you want to experiment, Gentoo BSD might be a really good choice. On the other hand, if you are seriously thinking about BSD, don't be afraid of using the official versions, it's really not that bad :D

Now I don't bother anymore and I let other people actually answer your question :D
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: