Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Version of SILO on install-sparc64-universal-2006.0.iso?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shy_acs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Version of SILO on install-sparc64-universal-2006.0.iso? Reply with quote

I recently downloaded install-sparc64-universal-2006.0.iso. To my pleasant surprise, whatever version of SILO is on the CD booted on my Sun Blade 1000. This is somewhat remarkable for a recent distribution as no recent release from Aurora or Ubuntu will boot on the machine.

Unfortunately, I have no way of telling what version of SILO is on this CD. Unlike the other distros mentioned, SILO makes no mention of its version number when booting the CD.

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated,
Shy
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 1.2.6, anything newer is known to break on many modern boxes when trying to do isofs.
It has its limitations though, no more than 4GB ram in most cases and no niagara support.
Also 2.6 kernels would need patching in order to properly boot with it (initrd/initramfs-related).
flak7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Version of SILO on install-sparc64-universal-2006.0.iso? Reply with quote

shy_acs wrote:
I recently downloaded install-sparc64-universal-2006.0.iso. To my pleasant surprise, whatever version of SILO is on the CD booted on my Sun Blade 1000. This is somewhat remarkable for a recent distribution as no recent release from Aurora or Ubuntu will boot on the machine.

Unfortunately, I have no way of telling what version of SILO is on this CD. Unlike the other distros mentioned, SILO makes no mention of its version number when booting the CD.

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated,
Shy

Ubuntu on SPARC? Can you give me a link to this port?
rooihond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Version of SILO on install-sparc64-universal-2006.0.iso? Reply with quote

flak7 wrote:
shy_acs wrote:

Can anyone help?

Much appreciated,
Shy

Ubuntu on SPARC? Can you give me a link to this port?

I'm having similar problems with booting ISO images.

I've just acquired a SB2000 (2 X 900 UltraSparc IIIcu, 2GB,2X36GB FC-AL,DVD-ROM,PGX32). First thing I did was download and burn Sparc2006.0 universal install. I've booted up several times and messed up 2 installations so far (probably due to overboard kernel selections - it now starts up Gentoo off the HDD, then panics and crashes with assorted errors).

The problem is, it now refuses to boot off the CD iso, and gives me the "Fast Data Access MMU Miss" error. I burned it again, no go. I then downloaded the sparc 2006.0 minimal install - same problem.

I trawled the NET and found many references to problems with CD ISO burning, and having to use the slowest speeds etc. Needless to say, I have a nice growing stack of coasters.

Using the same AMD64 2006.0 PC, same burner, same speed, same k3b, I downloaded and burned Solaris 10. It boots everytime - repeatedly. Also installed perfectly, all diags check out OK.

I then downloaded and tried the Aurora Build 2 CDs and DVD ISOs, again same MMU Miss error. I've also stumbled accross a CRUX Sparc port (http://jw.tks6.net/files/crux/sparc/) which I'll look at.

In the mean time, I'm going to attempt my Gentoo Sparc install the TFTPBOOT way, off the AMD64 2006.0 PC.

It seems that there's not too many ports out there that supports the UltraSparc processors as used in the Sun Blade 1000/2000 and higer.

Bottom line is - Gentoo Rocks ! - and I'll keep at it till I get the SB2000 running happily.

Anoyone have any ideas with regards to the burning of ISOs for use on the SB1000/2000 and that witch called Miss MMU?

PS. I'm a total Sun n00b, but so far I'm suitably impressed with the Blade 2000 and the serious and solid feel to it.
shy_acs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu 6.06beta for SPARC:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/6.06/beta/

(ubuntu-6.06-beta-install-sparc.iso)

for the 5.10 sparc release, see the announcement for links:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2005-October/000040.html
flak7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shy_acs wrote:
Ubuntu 6.06beta for SPARC:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/6.06/beta/

(ubuntu-6.06-beta-install-sparc.iso)

for the 5.10 sparc release, see the announcement for links:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2005-October/000040.html

THX!

BTW: Do you know anything about CentOS SPARC port? I heard that it exist, though RH does not have a SPARC port.
markpr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: "Fast Data Access MMU Miss" Reply with quote

I also saw this error and rather than upgrade the OBP firmware (which may have resolved the problem) I worked around it on two systems (Netra) by simply changing the boot-device to cdrom. "ok> setenv boot-device cdrom" and making sure that the auto boot is enabled.

I don't know why an ok> boot cdrom causes the mmu miss whereas setting the boot-device temporarily seems to work but it's a quick and easy thing to try.
rooihond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: SB2000 ISO boot MMU error Reply with quote

Hi Markpr,

I tried setting it to autoboot the CD-drive, made no difference, still getting the MMU Miss error.

I'm on OBP 4.16.4 on the SB2000 as in my previous post above.

Any ideas ?
markpr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry.. I don't really have any other ideas.

If it's failing to boot with an MMU miss error then my understanding is it's either OBP or Hardware problems. I was lucky enough to figure out on my system (this was an old Netra T1) that setting autoboot to cdrom seemed to resolve it.

I have my own problem at the moment, the latest Kernel (r4) builds but fails on boot with an "illegal instruction". I thought I read somewhere that downgrading to an earlier SILO may resolve the problem. I'm just looking forward to 2006.1 for Sparc.. it sems like the latest updates are really starting to take a toll on reliably building a stable system. I never had so many problem with 2005.1 and the initial 2006.0 as I'm having now...

Mark
rooihond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: obp and MMU miss on boot Reply with quote

Hi Markpr,

Hardware rocksolid and 100% on my side, Solaris10 running like a charm. Maybe I must try 2005.1.

Anyways, also looking forward to 2006.1

The weird thing though, the first couple of boots off 2006.0 actually worked OK, and I did 2 installs (which I obviously cocked up along the line). Maybe Sol10 did some updates when I boot it up at some stage.

Anyways, is there a decent SCSI (Sun) DVD-ROM/CD-Writer or a DVD-Writer out there? Maybe a newer versionof my 10X DVD-Rom will do the trick?

Rgds
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: