what happened to stage 1 and stage 2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: what happened to stage 1 and stage 2? Reply with quote

My gentoo system started acting like my old windows system (programs randomly crashing for no apparent reason), so I decided to treat it like a windows system: wipe and reinstall. I'm sure the instability was my fault; I probably broke something durring my kernel programming class last semester. So, anyway, I reformat the drive pop in my newly minted gentoo install CD and start steping through the documentation when it tells me to use a stage 3 because stage 1 and 2 are no longer supported.

What happened to Stage 1 and 2? Why are they no longer supported? Does "no longer supported" mean that I can still do a stage 1 if I want, there just isn't any documentation, or is it gone? I was planning on doing a Stage 1 because I have an AMD Sempron, I have the time, and I have a second computer to use in the mean time.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what happened to stage 1 and stage 2? Reply with quote

fusama wrote:
Does "no longer supported" mean that I can still do a stage 1 if I want, there just isn't any documentation, or is it gone?
Yes, you can still do a stage 1, unsupported means just that, but nothing's stopping you from asking questions on the forums anyway. :wink:

See How do I Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball? from the Gentoo FAQs for a little bit of info.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't doing a stage3, changing the chost and doing a double emerge system && emerge world pretty much identical to a stage1? i wouldn't see much of a reason for a stage1 anymore... it just takes longer to get a semi-usable system up.

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger,

If you change your CHOST, emerge -e system will break horribly. Providing you choose the right stage 3 there is no need, there being stages for CHOSTs i386, i586, and i686. Does anyone still run gentoo on a 386 or 486 CPU ?

Should you really want to change your CHOST, you need to run bootstrap.sh before you emerge -e system.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
mdeininger,

If you change your CHOST, emerge -e system will break horribly. Providing you choose the right stage 3 there is no need, there being stages for CHOSTs i386, i586, and i686. Does anyone still run gentoo on a 386 or 486 CPU ?

Should you really want to change your CHOST, you need to run bootstrap.sh before you emerge -e system.

i was assuming a "compatible" change. i meant like... you had a 386 chost and changed it to a 686 one. i did that a buncha times and it worked. i'd assume the same for, say, a 686 chost to a x86_64 one, provided that you compiled a kernel that can handle the new binaries.
i really did that a buncha times and it worked out just fine... at least as good as a fresh stage1 that is.

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger,

Hmm. I'm surprised that you can even change CHOSTs within the x86 family, since the CHOST is used to locate elements of your toolchain.
Other programs also record the CHOST they were built with and get upset if its changed.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
mdeininger,

Hmm. I'm surprised that you can even change CHOSTs within the x86 family, since the CHOST is used to locate elements of your toolchain.
Other programs also record the CHOST they were built with and get upset if its changed.

not sure... i was only reporting what i did.
gcc-config for example still has a list of all the actually available gcc-profiles (gcc-config -l apparently ignores your chost... although other options seem to care about it), and all the compiler tools have short names in /usr/bin that are linked the filesystem-way, so i'd think they're used instead of a new path being crafted from your chost on every emerge. *shrugs*

nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
see here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: