View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Kopete type notification for Jabber protocol Reply with quote

Hi,

For years now, Kopete doesn't support type notification for Jabber. That is, I don't see them, but the people I talk with, do get them from me. There have been a whole bunch of bug reports about it at KDE Bugzilla, most of which were "resolved", but the bug remains. I have the problem with people using Gaim, Gtalk and Miranda IM.

Is there anyone here who has the same problem, or who does receive Jabber type notifications? What is the cause of all of this? Why is it easier to fully implement a reverse engineered protocol than an open one?

My Kopete is of KDE 3.4.3, version 0.10.4.
syouth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I'm not helping to solve exact problem, but I suggest you to use Psi for Jabber.
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that PSI supports MSN as well. I may just try it. I hope it has some of the conveniencies of Kopete, because Kopete does have some useful features.

I have one question BTW: does it have a properly working free desktop systray icon? I hate a constantly minimized app on one of my desktops.

If I switch BTW, I think it's my final step towards XFCE. KDE, and it's apps, has so many problems. I just hope XFCE is as comprehensive, with support for digital camera's, printers, nice sysinfo systray apps, etc.
syouth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgaar wrote:
I see that PSI supports MSN as well. I may just try it. I hope it has some of the conveniencies of Kopete, because Kopete does have some useful features.

I have one question BTW: does it have a properly working free desktop systray icon? I hate a constantly minimized app on one of my desktops.

1. It doesn't support MSN directly, but through Jabber Transports. Psi is Jabber-only client.
2. It does have systray icon, which works very well.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest kopete (net-im/kopete-0.12_beta2-r1) in portage (it's masked) supports typing notifications for jabber. It works fine with gtalk users too. It should build just fine against your kde-3.4 and has a lot of improvements too. It also supports jingle so you can talk (voice) to other users with jingle enabled kopete, gtalk, psi-jingle, and tapioca (and possibly others now).
halfgaar
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gtalk's typenotifications don't even show in Psi. I find that a bit strange. Perhaps I should give the new Kopete a try. But I don't really like running beta packages. On the other hand, it will probably take a long time before it finds it's way into KDE, and even longer for that KDE version to become stable in Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: