View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fooblahblah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: i945GM working for anyone? Reply with quote

I've been struggling to get my Insprion 9400 with a i945GM chip to run using the i810 driver.

My PCI output reads:

Code:

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Expr
ess Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Exp
ress Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express In
tegrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Aud
io Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (r
ev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (r
ev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (r
ev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev
01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev
01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev
01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev
01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Control
ler (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (re
v 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA S
torage Controller IDE (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0832
03:01.1 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 1
9)
03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (re
v 0a)
03:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 05)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 4311 (rev 01)

I'm running gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r2 with AGP and Intel support compiled into the kernel (not using kernel DRM support). I've installed modular Xorg-7 and vesa works, but not i810. I've also installed the libdrm, mesa and drm (compiled for i810 and i910) from the Freedesktop CVS repository, but I get the same output "No devices detected".

I can post more info, but I was mainly curious if anyone with an Inspiron 9400 with the same lspci output has X running using the i810 driver?
ynema
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: ipw3946ABG Reply with quote

Cheers for some of the info in this thread some of it applies to my Asus A6J as it appears to have similar hardware and I can't find much on that laptop specifically.

But anyway people may be interested to know that the ipw3945 drivers are in portage

emerge ipw3945 should emerge ipw3945, ipw3945d and ipw3945-ucode packages they do appear to still be masked but they worked straight up on my system
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: ipw3946ABG Reply with quote

ynema wrote:
But anyway people may be interested to know that the ipw3945 drivers are in portage

Right, I forgot to put a reference to my post in the ipw3945 thread :oops: .
Sejam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: i945GM working for anyone? Reply with quote

fooblahblah wrote:
I've been struggling to get my Insprion 9400 with a i945GM chip to run using the i810 driver.

My PCI output reads:

I'm running gentoo-sources-2.6.16-r2 with AGP and Intel support compiled into the kernel (not using kernel DRM support). I've installed modular Xorg-7 and vesa works, but not i810. I've also installed the libdrm, mesa and drm (compiled for i810 and i910) from the Freedesktop CVS repository, but I get the same output "No devices detected".

I can post more info, but I was mainly curious if anyone with an Inspiron 9400 with the same lspci output has X running using the i810 driver?

Are you sure that there have been drivers written for the i945GM yet? I remember when we got the i915, it took about 4 months for us to be able to use it in anything else besides vesa. You might try some of the tricks we had to do early on for the Inspiron 6000 (with the i915) to get it working. I know I've seen an updated 915resolution program that will probably help.
fooblahblah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: i945GM working for anyone? Yes me! Reply with quote

I managed to get this working. It's still a but fuzzy as to what combination of packages solved it.

I had given up on xorg-6.9.0 and moved to xorg-7 (a.k.a. modular xorg) and had the thing running in vesa mode. The final key was to have 'xorg-server' and 'xf86-video-i810' in *both* my /etc/portage/package.keywords and package.unmask. After re-emerging those packages my xorg config using i810 driver successfully started and detected the device.

I'm now getting ~1500fps with glxgears.

I've also run the 855resolution hack to 1440x900 resolution. Here's what I'm using in my /etc/conf.d/855resolution:
Code:

replace[0]="4d"
with[0]="1440 900"

The one thing that's less than ideal is that I'm only running in 16bit mode. When I use 855resolution -l there are no 24bit modes listed...
saintpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: i945GM working for anyone? Reply with quote

Sejam wrote:

Are you sure that there have been drivers written for the i945GM yet? I remember when we got the i915, it took about 4 months for us to be able to use it in anything else besides vesa. You might try some of the tricks we had to do early on for the Inspiron 6000 (with the i915) to get it working. I know I've seen an updated 915resolution program that will probably help.

The i915 driver works for 945GM (A.K.A. GMA950), but you need the latest drm kernel driver from cvs tree. It works for me.
kurtg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any joy with the Intel 945GM Graphics card. It looks like a great chipset, but I can't seem to find much information on them for Linux.
kurtg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody seen the Intel driver download:
[url]
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2301&DwnldID=9722&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng
[/url]

The readme on the site doesn't seem to correspond with the contents of the tar. It appears to be XFree86 build or something.

--Kurt
saintpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

945GM works. I have a dell inspiron 6400 and it works great. I get around 1300fps with glxgears. I didn't use the intel driver, though.
kurtg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: i945GM working for anyone? Reply with quote

saintpa wrote:

The i915 driver works for 945GM (A.K.A. GMA950), but you need the latest drm kernel driver from cvs tree. It works for me.

Could you point a newbie in the right direction? Which CVS tree?
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost everything working. A coule of questions though:

1. What should I do for the dial up modem
2. Has anyone figured out the TV-Out put yet? If so let me know or point me in the right direction. I have an intel 915 on mine.
3. Same as the fellow above me about the newest X modules for the i915 chipset driver. Any joy there?
broeisi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saintpa..

how did you get those 1300 fps with the i945?
could you post what you did?
saintpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this post for a howto: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-455101-highlight-945gm.html
dob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hard Disk and CD/DVD Writer

Unlike what is mentionned on Dell's web site, the hard disk is IDE and not a SATA. (The conspiracy theory, you know ;-) ) In fact the hard disk is an IDE one that is plugged onto a SATA/IDE bridge. Here are the kernel options I selected in Device Drivers > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support:
Code:
< > ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support

You might want to precise than the libata.atapi_enabled=1 option has to be passed to the boot loader for the ide burner to be recognized

I only burned 1 dvd so far, and it was extremely slow (like 1x). I don't what else to try.

Quote:
CPU speed control

I've reused my Dell i6k CPU frequency scaling. Here's my related kernel config in Power management options (ACPI, APM) > CPU Frequency scaling:
Code:
 [*] CPU Frequency scaling

Or the kernel's on demand governor can be used (no need for a userspace daemon)
Just add the following to /etc/conf.d/local.start
Code:
echo -n ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo -n ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

You can see the temperature with cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature (or gkrellm can display it on your desktop)
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dob wrote:
You might want to precise than the libata.atapi_enabled=1 option has to be passed to the boot loader for the ide burner to be recognized.

You don't need libata.atapi_enabled=1 kernel argument anymore with kernels 2.6.16.

dob wrote:
Code:

That's good to know. I set mine with kernel's defaults, performance. Do you think the ondemand governor increases battery lifetime significantly?
LD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a proprietary driver from intel for the 945GM chipset here.

Now, I have no idea what to do to make this a working ebuild or what.
If someone does though please feel free to make one for this driver. I'll install it from scratch and see what I end up with.
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noven wrote:

While I was doing this I also set up all the multimedia keys. They all had a keycode already assigned, so I just had to set up a .Xmodmap and then bind the keys in e16keyedit. Here is mine:

Code:

$ cat .Xmodmap
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 162 = XF86AudioPlay
keycode 144 = XF86AudioPrev
keycode 153 = XF86AudioNext
keycode 164 = XF86AudioStop

$ cat .e16/e_config.bindings
<snip>
KeyDown    C        e exec Eterm
KeyDown    - XF86AudioLowerVolume exec amixer sset PCM 4-
KeyDown    - XF86AudioRaiseVolume exec amixer sset PCM 4+
KeyDown    - XF86AudioMute exec amixer sset Master toggle

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I try to do the same Xmodmap magic for my Dell I6000. I have a correct .Xmodmap file in /home but I don't know whether/where I have to tell X/KDE about this file? So how can I "apply" the Xmodmap file when X/KDE get's started?
dob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
dob wrote:
Code:

That's good to know. I set mine with kernel's defaults, performance. Do you think the ondemand governor increases battery lifetime significantly?

I think it should, and I don't see any reason not to use it. The cpu run automatically at full speed when needed, and at 1Ghz otherwise
Code:

model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 1000.000

Last edited by dob on Sat May 13, 2006 5:30 am; edited 2 times in total
dob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noven wrote:

While I was doing this I also set up all the multimedia keys. They all had a keycode already assigned, so I just had to set up a .Xmodmap and then bind the keys in e16keyedit. Here is mine:
Sorry for highjacking this thread but I try to do the same Xmodmap magic for my Dell I6000. I have a correct .Xmodmap file in /home but I don't know whether/where I have to tell X/KDE about this file? So how can I "apply" the Xmodmap file when X/KDE get's started?
Why not use lineakd?

There are some instructions there
And their proposed lineakd.conf can easily be improved :wink:
Quote:
Lineak
http://lineak.sourceforge.net/
Run lineakd -c DELLI-9200 as a normal user and a ~/.lineak/lineakd.conf file will be created.
open that file in a editor
nano ~/.lineak/lineakd.conf
And change the following lines at the end of the file
Mute =
Next =
Play|Pause =
Previous =
Stop =
VolumeDown =
VolumeUp =

to

Mute =
Next =
Play|Pause = xmms --play-pause
Previous =
Stop = xmms --stop
VolumeDown = amixer -c 0 set Master 5%-
VolumeUp = amixer -c 0 set Master 5%+
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw KDE and Gnome both already supported the volume mute, up and down keys with a nice On-Screen Display indication. I don't know however what to do to enable it. Wouldn't lineakd disable both desktops OSD?
dob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
I saw KDE and Gnome both already supported the volume mute, up and down keys with a nice On-Screen Display indication. I don't know however what to do to enable it. Wouldn't lineakd disable both desktops OSD?
It doesn't work for me (kde)! Is it enabled in Regional & Accessibility / Input actions in kde's control center?

I can't find where to set it up, and yes I have khotkeys installed (part of kdebase)

Quote:
You don't need libata.atapi_enabled=1 kernel argument anymore with kernels 2.6.16.

Could you please elaborate on this?
I'm currently using vanilla 2.6.16.2 and I can't find my dvd drive without enabling support for atapi devices in the kernel or using the libata.atapi_enabled=1 boot option
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dob wrote:
Could you please elaborate on this?
I'm currently using vanilla 2.6.16.2 and I can't find my dvd drive without enabling support for atapi devices in the kernel or using the libata.atapi_enabled=1 boot option

Well, just like I said I didn't need to pass that argument to my kernel. I'm using Gentoo Sources 2.6.16 series, patched for SD card reader only and the CD/DVD drive works right out of the box for me.
kurtg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I close the lid, I can't seem to get the back light to come back on.
I finally have my Insprion 9400 with a i945GM with Xorg/Gnome running fine. So far, I need to ssh in from another box, and reboot the laptop to get the backlight back on again.

These seems to be true for both character and X11 displays, so I think this is a BIOS switch that turns it off, but then is expecting software to turn it back on again.

Anybody else deal with issue? Solve it?
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtg wrote:
When I close the lid, I can't seem to get the back light to come back on.
I finally have my Insprion 9400 with a i945GM with Xorg/Gnome running fine. So far, I need to ssh in from another box, and reboot the laptop to get the backlight back on again.

These seems to be true for both character and X11 displays, so I think this is a BIOS switch that turns it off, but then is expecting software to turn it back on again.

Anybody else deal with issue? Solve it?

Looks like the I9400 has the same ACPI bug as the I6000.
To get the backlight on you can emerge vbetool and type

Code:

vbetool dpms on

in a console (blind). You can put this comment somewere in the scripts that deal with ACPI events to call it automatically when you open the LID - the solution can be found somewere in the Dell Inspiron 6000 Thread in the forum.
saintpa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an ACPI bug. Your acpi scripts probably doesn't have authorization from x11 server to run xset program to turn the screen back on. See this howto: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Automatically_turn_off_your_monitor#Use_the_XDM.27s_Authorization_File
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: