Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Postfix misconfiguration or isp that closed port 25?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dev-null-devil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Postfix misconfiguration or isp that closed port 25? Reply with quote

I don really know what's wrong with this, but i've set up postfix, configured it and according to faqs and online documentation, it's as it should be. However, when trying to send a mail to the server from my friends mailserver / yahoo etc, no mail arrives. I used netstat, just to check what ip it was listening to, and saw that postfix only listens on 127.0.0.1:25 and 192.168.51.1:25 (my local ip). But in the configuration file (main.cf), i specifically added my extern ip to listen to port 25.

I tried also to telnet to my server, on port 25 (Connection refused).
But now, the strange thing, i used nmap, to scan the server from another computer:
Results from another isp:
Port 25 (Filtered).
Results from another local computer (192.168.51.43):
Port 25 (Open).

So i dunno if my isp has closed that port? I thought nmap should display closed if my isp closed that port. Maybe some of you can help me while i'm screaming: Why god? Why??
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that most isp's close port 25, to stop your pc from being used as an smtp relay.

call them and ask! they can prob open it for you :)
kopfarzt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your information (netstat), postfix is not listening to the external interface. That's on your side, and your ISP can do nothing about that.

But it's possible, that your ISP filters port 25. You can test this easily. Just install the package net-analyzer/netcat and let it listen to port 25 on your external interface:
Code:
nc -l -p 25 -s ext.ern.al.ip

kopfarzt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: