disk space usage ??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: disk space usage ?? Reply with quote

I'm half way installing a new gentoo system (stage2) with KDE, Gnome, Opera etc.

my problem is hard disk limitations. i have approx 2 gig for my gentoo ssytem. due to fdisk trouble by boot and swap partitions are generous in space, so approx 1,6 gig available.

Gentoo eats this like its herring !!! i tried to build mozilla, but it failed (no disk space left) (admit, i also tried evolution) and i ended up with 0% diskfree.

deleted everything in /usr/portage/distfiles so i got 100 mb free!
"emerge unmerge mozilla" deleted a whole lot of my partial mozilla stuff.

300 mb free.

where has all the storage gone? is a gentoo base with X, KDE, Gnome 1,3 gig????

or, my question finally, if an emerge fails on diskspace, where are the files i can delete, to regain some space ! :?:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in /var/tmp/portage
You can delete things there too...
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see where your disk space is going, try:

du --max-depth=1 -h /

That will print out a nicely formatted list of directories, as well as a summary of how large each one is. You can drill down from there by simply modifying your du command:

du --max-depth=1 -h /huge/folder

Until you narrow down where your problem areas are.

--kurt

(p.s. the '-h' option converts the output to megabytes, which is easier to read, at least for me)
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the advice,

i've been using mc to summarize the directory sizes, but is very cumbersome. mc forgets the sizes as you leave the directory.

(i was kinda surprised when i did a emerge mc command. not doing hte --pretend part first, who would have guesed that Gnome, and therefore X are requirements !)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flake wrote:
(i was kinda surprised when i did a emerge mc command. not doing hte --pretend part first, who would have guesed that Gnome, and therefore X are requirements !)

I don't use mc, but I'm not sure gnome is required -- more like mc can support it if you use gnome. If you're not going to use gnome at all, you might want to set a USE variable to tell it not to compile gnome support into the packages you create. Check out the portage user guide for more info:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/portage-user.html

There's a section that specifically talks about disabling gnome support.

--kurt
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deal is, i found,

just ask for mc and you'll get gmc as well :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flake wrote:
the deal is, i found,

just ask for mc and you'll get gmc as well :D

As was said above, only if you have gnome in your USE. Many packages have optional components such as frontends that require large dependencies such as X. The USE variable lets you choose which of these components you plan to use, so that when you try to compile, for example, the daemon portion of giFT (p2p app) it doesn't install X and Gnome just for the front end. Of course, this only applies to parts of programs, if you get rid of X from the use and then emerge mozilla, X will still be installed :)
HTH,
tunah
Flake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That's why I recommended that you always perform an emerge --pretend before executing the actual emerge, especially for new, unfamiliar ebuilds. That way, you'll know what to expect. :) Once everything looks OK, you can go ahead with the actual emerge by dropping the --pretend option:"

I knew this. and believe, now i will faithfully do so every time.

but i was on a bare system, i didn't like nano (i cant use vi / emacs), so i thought: " he, i want mcedit. :lol: "

well, life goes on.
chip_s_ahoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: generous in space? Reply with quote

Is this the same issue I had? With a multi-boot system? Or is this just a small drive?
"due to fdisk trouble by boot and swap partitions are generous in space"
My Gentoo install shares a disk with Mandrake, so I used Mandrake's swap partition, I didn't create a new one.

I didn't create a boot partition for Gentoo either, I just made a single / partion and mkdir'd a boot directory onto it where the Gentoo install guide says to make a partition. So no wasted space there. Not exactly suspenders and belt, but hey...

My Gentoo install comes to 2.4 gig, with quite a bit of stuff installed: KDE, OpenOffice (it doesn't work), and 550 megs of distfiles.
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: How about 1GB HD? Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread, but I don't want to spam new threads etc. :wink:

My question is: if I'm limited to only 1GB of diskspace, is that enough? I have 80MB RAM, so I should therefore have 160MB swap, right? This leaves me with 840MB for my / and /boot. I figure /boot would be 30-50MB, leaving around 800.

I need apache, php, postgres, as well as the basics (sshd for example), but I certainly don't need X or any multimedia.

So whaddayathink? Is 1GB enough, or do I need a new HD?

-Jeff T.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How about 1GB HD? Reply with quote

kyptin wrote:
I realize this is an old thread, but I don't want to spam new threads etc. :wink:

My question is: if I'm limited to only 1GB of diskspace, is that enough? I have 80MB RAM, so I should therefore have 160MB swap, right? This leaves me with 840MB for my / and /boot. I figure /boot would be 30-50MB, leaving around 800.

I need apache, php, postgres, as well as the basics (sshd for example), but I certainly don't need X or any multimedia.

So whaddayathink? Is 1GB enough, or do I need a new HD?

-Jeff T.

First thought: do you really need a /boot partition? Personally, I've only used that on machines where I was installing more than one distribution - otherwise, it seems more trouble than it's worth. For example, my /boot folder is a whopping 2.7MB (with 2 kernels and not much else). No way I'd allocate 30-50MB just to be sure I had enough space for my kernels.

Second thought: as I remember, my basic install weighed in at a little under 500MB - that's without cleaning out my /usr/portage/distfiles, which stores all the source tarballs. If you're just running Gentoo as a server, the real question is can you store all your content in 300MB?

Third thought: if this is going to be a server, do you want to make your /var a seperate partition? Because /var stores logs, and you don't want to run out of disk space, this might be something to think about.

Fourth thought: nice to see people searching the forums :)

I think it would be OK to try it on a 1GB hard drive - it certainly could work. I had a 700MB hard drive that I tried to install Gentoo on, and everything that I wanted (all text) fitted OK, my only problem was the 8MB RAM didn't get me too far :)

Good luck! Let me know how you did!
kyptin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How about 1GB HD? Reply with quote

alec wrote:

First thought: do you really need a /boot partition? Personally, I've only used that on machines where I was installing more than one distribution - otherwise, it seems more trouble than it's worth. For example, my /boot folder is a whopping 2.7MB (with 2 kernels and not much else). No way I'd allocate 30-50MB just to be sure I had enough space for my kernels.

That's a good idea.... I was just going by the book, but yeah, you're probably right.

alec wrote:

Second thought: as I remember, my basic install weighed in at a little under 500MB - that's without cleaning out my /usr/portage/distfiles, which stores all the source tarballs. If you're just running Gentoo as a server, the real question is can you store all your content in 300MB?

Hey, that's encouraging. After postgreSQL, php, Apache, and miscellaneous other stuff, that should still leave plenty of room for some webpages. I'm only upgrading the current webpage to a better os, language, etc. (Who needs IIS/Win2k/ASP, anyway?) So most of that will be just text, and what isn't will be like 15k gifs or something.

alec wrote:

Third thought: if this is going to be a server, do you want to make your /var a seperate partition? Because /var stores logs, and you don't want to run out of disk space, this might be something to think about.

That sounds like a good idea actually.... How many MB would you recommend for that? That could mebbe replace the 40MB I figured in for the /boot?

alec wrote:

Fourth thought: nice to see people searching the forums :)

Hey, I do what I can. :wink:

alec wrote:

I think it would be OK to try it on a 1GB hard drive - it certainly could work. I had a 700MB hard drive that I tried to install Gentoo on, and everything that I wanted (all text) fitted OK, my only problem was the 8MB RAM didn't get me too far :)

Oh wow. No freakin' way! 8MB??? My gosh, man, I'm going on like 16 hours for the stage1 -> stage2 progression, and I have 10 times that much RAM! Did you just hafta leave that running for, oh, a week? :o

Thanks for the advice man,
-Jeff T.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the seperate /var partition:

My /var partition currently weighs in at 237MB. Wow, I didn't know it was that bloated! Portage compiles everything in /var/tmp, and that takes up 177MB of it. Seing as how I don't need it... hahaha... ok, now my /var is now 60MB. I only have 2.5MB of logs, though. I think I might second-guess myself and reccommend that you not go with a seperate /var partition - if you're compiling something big, you don't want to run out of space. If you use something like logrotate to keep your logs down to a minimum, you probably won't need a seperate partition.

On the 8MB of RAM: I did compile it on a system with a gig of RAM :) Trying to install debian took forever... and that's just uncompressing packages!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: