net.ppp0 issues - intermittent loss of connecion
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparklesdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: net.ppp0 issues - intermittent loss of connecion Reply with quote

I've been having some issues using the net.ppp0 rc-script.

I have a permenant dial-up connection (at least it's always on) so I added net.ppp0 to my default run level and modified my firewall script to take start/stop options which all seemed to work rather nicely. Now when I turn my system on everything seems to come up quite nicely. However I seem to have intermittent problems.

Occasionally my 'net connection will just stop working, there's no reason for this that I can see (pppd is still running, my routes are all still set correctly and the modem is still connected but nothing seems to work). I'm having big problems getting the connection back up as well; running
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 restart
doesn't seem to work at all and the only way I've managed to get things back up is to hard boot my modem and force a total restart of ppp0 (I believe also that it was having problem reconnecting when my ISP dropped my connection, (un)fortunatly this is a sufficiently rare occurence that I can't really test).

When disabling net.ppp0 and using wvdial from a console it works perfectly btw; hence leading me to the conclusion that the problem is somewhere in the net.ppp0 scripts.

Obviously I could just write my own ppp/chat script and add that to the rc-scripts, but I would much rather try and get the ready supplied net.ppp0 script to work! After all initally it seemed really nice.

So, has anyone else experienced similar problems? Are there any known fixes? Can anyone shed any light on what might need modifying if I'm going to try and rewrite/fix the current scripts?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: