Gentoo for newbies ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hbbio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Gentoo for newbies ? Reply with quote

I'm just amused by the number of newbies using gentoo, not that it is bad at all. Slack had always been a better school than mdk-like (where user keep asking "where should I click ?).
But I just thought most questions in this forum would be gentoo-related as opposed to linux-general.
Well... go gentoo !
+BroNNoS+
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree. I learned most by digging into and cursing at Slackware then from using Mandrake, Suse or Redhat.

And there are not many questions about Gentoo because it runs like a dream for most of the people :-).
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of a n00b :oops: , used redhat for about a year, and wanted to try out something new. I tried debian and the new mandrake, didn't like either (mandrake wasn't all it was cracked up to be and debian cds I had didn't support a bunch of my hardware, didn't feel like learning at the time).
I burnt gentoo to cd about a week ago, I had found out about it eairlier this year and about linuxfromscratch, but gentoo was my first attempt at a custom system.
So far I like it, and I have learned more in the past week about linux than I could learn from Red Hat in a month. BTW, use linux as my sole OS on my desktop, so getting stuff working is kind of important, and the people in this forum are very helpful and nice.
Thanks a bunch for the help!

-Andrew
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noob here....lol....but i would have to say that gentoo once you get over the different installation concept is pretty cool adn not that much worse then any other distro when you dont know wtf your doing...lol...but when you screw up it sure does take alot less time to reinstall slack or mandrake...emerge has made me very cautious...lol
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Linux (Slackware, mostly) for about 5 years, but Gentoo for only 5 days so I'm kind of a noob 8)

The only other OS install I've seen that was as "difficult" as Gentoo was OpenBSD, but I managed to get through both okay on my first try :) The only thing more difficult that I can think of would be installing LFS, and the only reason that's more difficult is that you don't have emerge to compile everything for you! emerge is great, btw, I've been showing off portage to my FreeBSD using friends, trying to get them to switch over ;)
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a noob, and i don't find gentoo to be difficult:)
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lk42pro wrote:

Not even with all those kde3 problems you were having? :lol:

I'm just glad I didn't see any of that stuff... it took me about 7 hours to compile KDE3 on this machine 8O
lk42pro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
lk42pro wrote:

I'm just glad I didn't see any of that stuff... it took me about 7 hours to compile KDE3 on this machine 8O

hehe....it was painfull..i pray something like this don't happen again....and i wish upon a star that there won't be any discrepency problem's 4ever...
hazelnut
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
lk42pro wrote:

I'm a bit of a gentoo/linux noobie, but I have quite a bit of general UNIX knowledge from work.

7 hours?? My machine is still compiling QT and I started the KDE3 emerge 9 hours ago... :lol: It may finish by tomorrow night!! :roll:

(this time does include the download times @128kbps)

I have done an LFS, and it needs loads more handholding.. so much so that although I love it, I have never fancied building it again so I can avoid installing Gnome+Nautilus+other bloaty stuff I can't figure out how to uninstall w/o breaking the system or spending too much time on it.
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazelnut wrote:

I'm a bit of a gentoo/linux noobie, but I have quite a bit of general UNIX knowledge from work.

7 hours?? My machine is still compiling QT and I started the KDE3 emerge 9 hours ago... :lol: It may finish by tomorrow night!! :roll:

(this time does include the download times @128kbps)

I have done an LFS, and it needs loads more handholding.. so much so that although I love it, I have never fancied building it again so I can avoid installing Gnome+Nautilus+other bloaty stuff I can't figure out how to uninstall w/o breaking the system or spending too much time on it.

Fortunatly download time isn't a factor for me, I have an extremely fat pipe 8)

I am limited by this wimpy Celeron 500 though.... soon I will install Gentoo on my dual Athlon system... just as soon as I get the processors in the mail :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: