Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
destr0yr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i-right-i wrote:
It might not do anything you in particular dest0yer, but it should for the poster in which I responded that reply to.

And I appreciate that fact. However, the forums are littered with the `emerge xorg` solution to a different issue - an issue I did not originally post about. I was specifically looking for other users with my specific issue. I'll be sure to make this clear in future posts to rule out any ambiguity.

Anyways, my issue has gone so far that I've mkreiserfs'd my root partition and am rebuilding with gcc 4.1 & glibc 2.4 (BobP's Stage3 install instructions for JackAss). Something happened, likely pebkac, during my emerge process which resulted in segfaults in _everything_ (emerge, ls, grep, etc..).
drizzt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I know it will be of little help, but I encountered exact the same problems on my machine.
First these __guard symbol errors. Nothin' seem to help fixing that problem so I ended up rebuilding my system with 2006.0 Install CD.
I gave it a shot and built my system with glibc-2.4 and gcc4.1 from the beginning which resulted in segfaulting EVERYTHING.

So I masked out glibc-2.4 for now as I have no nerves to go all the way again.

Btw I have AMD64 with 64Bit Gentoo running.
NiQoZ
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same problems here (gcc broken after glibc-2.4 update) !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
then:
Code:

echo '=sys-libs/glibc-2.4' >> /etc/portage/package.mask

:evil: :evil: :evil:
perhaps somebody have a solution ?

Site Perso : http://www.niqozweb.net
Assistance réseau et messagerie sous Gentoo / Linux.
destr0yr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NiQoZ wrote:
same problems here (gcc broken after glibc-2.4 update) !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
then:
Code:

echo '=sys-libs/glibc-2.4' >> /etc/portage/package.mask

:evil: :evil: :evil:
perhaps somebody have a solution ?

As drizzt said in the post above, the only solution so far is rebuilding the system from an install CD. I am rebuilding mine using the Jackass Project Documentation @ Stage 1/3 Installation Guide: 2006.0, GCC 4.1.0, Glibc 2.4. The only issues I've had so far have been with busybox and firefox. Just make sure you have the proper entries in your packages.keywords, ie: ~sys-apps/busybox-1.1.0 ~x86 and a similar entry for firefox 1.5.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the problem was caused by that bug in glibc-2.4-r0 where a bad patchset clobbered and removed a line of code from glibc. that really borked thigns up. that problem is fixed in 2.4-r1.
Godsmacker777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey folks,

I'm going to add myself to the "X error" group. I ran into this last night after having to reboot (34 days of uptime all gone..). Some where in there I updated gcc, and a few other things. I got the infamous:

Code:
 X: relocation error: X: symbol __guard, version GLIBC_2.3.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I realized things were a bit choppy on my system and needed some stabilizing/syncing. I re-built my toolchain (gcc, binutils, linux-headers, glibc), as I didn't know where that stood..and then did and emerge -e xorg-x11.

Luckily I'm running x86_64 :O) so this was finished by the morning.

Good luck~

EDIT: I'm running ~amd64, though I update selectively and rather infrequently. I also have the nptl and nptlonly use flags...

I want to see signatures boasting 25 cpu clusters and blade severs, or a big 'ole onyx..anyone running gentoo on an onxy??
destr0yr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
i think the problem was caused by that bug in glibc-2.4-r0 where a bad patchset clobbered and removed a line of code from glibc. that really borked thigns up. that problem is fixed in 2.4-r1.

I picked a good time to sync then, :|. Oh well, my shiny new gcc 4.1 & glibc 2.4 system is working great with your instructions. Thank you!
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In cases like this (i.e. new glibc hoses system and almost everything stopped working) I've succsesfully done the following a few times:

Quote:

* build a binary package on another pc (same arch)
* boot the wrecked system from a live cd
* chrooted to the wrecked system (and confirmed emerge etc. don't work)
* scp the built glibc tbz2 over to the damaged system
* cd / (under chrooted environment)
* tar jxvf /root/glibc-2.3.5-r1.tbz2
* emerge worked again, so now I did a proper emerge -k =glibc-2.3.5-r1 to record everything for portage bookkeeping

of course replace the version number with the one you had before problems began...

WARNING:
It's a draconian measure to drag around with binaries like that, so no guarantees :!:
May The Source be with you!
richardash1981
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the method above in the same hold - it seems to work reasonably well and not have any longterm effects. It does of course assume you can build (or find) the relevant binary package. On stable x86 I've only had this problem when installing binary packages built on other systems (where you can easily cause a glibc version mis-match), never with local builds. I haven't hit glibc 2.4 yet though.
andy753421
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem upgrading to glibc-2.4-r0 but after reverting to a precompiled binary, syncing, and recompiling to glibc-2.4-r1 it got fixed. I recently upgraded to glibc-2.4-r2 and got struck by the same problem again.. I dont know if it's related but I'm getting "tar: relocation error: tar: symbol __guard, version GLIBC_2.3.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference" errors when trying to do stuff. When I tried to downgrade to glibc-2.4-r1 I started getting seg faults and then reverted back to glibc-2.4-r2 since the __guard errors only happen with about half the programs. (note: I haven't rebooted yet, I'm to scared to, been using vim in binary mode to copy around libc.so files since 'cp' doesn't always work)
richardash1981
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated a really out of date to current glibc recently, and had to manually steal a copy of /lib/libpthread-2.3.5.so and symlink it to /lib/libpthread.so.0 in order to get almost anything to work. I think this one is related to going from kernel 2.4 (pthread only) straight to a nptlonly build of glibc. The odd thing was that on the host that built the binary /lib/libpthread-2.3.5.so belongs to the glibc package, yet installing the binary didn't deliver it to the target machine. That broke almost a everything, luckily ssh was still loaded up in my session, ansd I had an NFS mount to another machine I could use to transfer the file into place (cp worked, but ls didn't). This is upgrading to 2.35-r3, so not directly relevant to 2.4-rx problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: