pda's and werewolves
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: pda's and werewolves Reply with quote

Thought I'd try something to get some attention. In my ongoing effort to get my palm tungsten c to synch with my gentoo 2.4.19-r10 system, the following seems to represent the lion's share of my problems:
Code:
May 12 21:36:18 hb3 kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 9
May 12 21:36:18 hb3 kernel: usb.c: USB device 9 (vend/prod 0x830/0x60) is not claimed by any active driver.
May 12 21:36:21 hb3 /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB product 830/60/100
May 12 21:37:24 hb3 kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 9

I've seen this message in other postings, but don't know what to do to correct it. I have followed the postings for installing the 'visor' module and have it configured as a module and listed in 'lsmod' along with 'usbserial'. Other usb devices function properly. Nothing I currently do will synch the pda with my gentoo desktop.

One difference I've noticed, when I "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" my lisiting for a serial number seems to be generic. Other listings I've seen seem to have been real serial numbers. Mine is:
Code:
S:  Manufacturer=Palm, Inc.
S:  Product=Palm Handheld
S:  SerialNumber=PalmSN12345678

Which leads me to wonder if my new palm device is even readable ?
Anyone notice if any tungsten t's are working with linux? Or "got other ideas" (milk? :>)) TIA, Bill
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, assuming you've got the permissions of /dev/pilot right and you've done everything else exactly right, it's still an issue of timing. Even after syncing with Linux for a year and a half, it takes me at least 2-3 tries to get the hotsync daemon (whatever your sync software) to hook into the PDA device at the right time.

8O :roll:
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guero61. I'm going to try another tact, as I have not successfully identified where/what devices are being used.

Using hotplug, what should be in the executable script called 'visor'?

This is what came from the linuxpda.com/visor/howto/v0.6/hotplug.html:
"When all is said and done, an (executable) script named /etc/hotplug/usb/visor should get run when you press the hotsync button.

#!/bin/sh
/bin/su rvbijl -c /usr/local/bin/coldsync

Obviously, you would want to replace the rvbijl39 with your normal user account. And make that script executable."

So I change rvbijl39 to my user 'bill', but then what? /usr/local/bin/coldsync doesn't make sense to me. What should I be pointing to? What should happen? TIA, Bill
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you there... I've never used hotplug before. Anyone else???

I'm not sure about "coldsync" -- pilot-link doesn't provide that, just binaries to do each individual sync operation. You may write a "coldsync" script that executes each of those... I don't know, really!
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guero61. I did find a script that points to 'jpilot-sync', but I'm still being hamstrung by not knowing which dev to link pilot to. It seems that I've tried linking all of the ones listed in posts, like /dev/tts/0 and 1, /dev/ttyUSB0 and 1, /dev/ttS00, and 01, and the like.

A week of time is enough to invest at this point. 'Gonna plug it into my w2k box and move on. Will come back to this some time in the future. Bill
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before ya go, I can help you with the /dev part.

To link to anything, it must first exist. Using devfs, the device (/dev/usb/0, I think) will not exist until the PDA is actually trying to hotsync. So, put your PDA on the cradle, press the button, and go look in /dev/usb and /dev/tts and find out which device all of a sudden shows up. There ya go! Do a quick ln -s <path_to_dev> /dev/pilot, and you're ready to roll next time you push the sync button!
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some of the frustration I've been going through. Nothing has ever shown up on those nodes or the others I've tried. I went so far as to do a mknod ...and they didn't show up there either.

If I could figure out what device the palm was coming in on I'd have it made. Thanks though, Bill
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you hang on until this evening when I can get to my own machine and let you know where to look?
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I'd much rather use my linux box any day. All of this also presumes that the Palm os 5.1 works with the visor module. It may not. :mrgreen: Bill
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, had a long night (4 a.m.) coding a networks project.

My /dev/pilot points to /dev/usb/tts/1

So, if you cradle it, hit the hotsync button, and type
Code:

ln -sf /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/pilot
chmod 666 /dev/pilot

You should have a working /dev/pilot link!
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you patience here guero61. I appreciate your help.
The output of the two commands:
Code:
 # ln -sf /dev/usb/tts/1 /dev/pilot
 # chmod 666 /dev/pilot
chmod: failed to get attributes of `/dev/pilot': No such file or
directory

I did a 'rm pilot' before starting the process, then hit the hot sync button. Once usbview showed the palm handheld, I ran the two commands, with the above results. After the first command /dev/pilot exists. The only thing now in /dev/usb tree is my usb printer, no other nodes. I now remember this same output from my earlier travails. What next? Bill
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update(I need to go to work tonight). I tried the folowing and as you can see some progress.
Code:
 # ln -sf /dev/tts/1 /dev/pilot
 # chmod 666 /dev/pilot

This was done while the hotsync button was on. If memeory serves me right, the 666 should give user r,w,x permissions. When I open kpilot(having pushed the sync button) I now get:
Code:
 Trying to open device
Device link ready

and with jpilot:
Code:
Synching on /dev/pilot
Press the hot sync button now

and there it stays. With the kpilot entry nothing else ever happens. Would you think /dev/pilot is now functional? If so, how do I test it? TIA, Bill
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've hit the timing issue... something I've never gotten a handle on.

Whatever the case, you've got to wait a moment (sleep if you're scripting) so your kernel can recognize what's hooked, up, parse through all it's initialization crap... On a RedHat machine, I've seen it take up to 3 seconds for all the driver info to get set up.
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guero61. It seems to me that when usbview 'sees' the palm handheld it has already been processed by the kernel.

Anyway, I'm going to end this thread and start a new one persuing the hotplug aspect. Thanks again, Bill
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: