Software RAID on ALPHA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1stBoomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Software RAID on ALPHA Reply with quote

Hi,

at work we have an older Alpha workstation (uname -> alpha EV56). It works as router and monitoring system. Until summer last year it booted a SuSE Linux, but then we installed a Gentoo and I'm happy with this.

Because data safety I'm thinking about a software raid with two 36 GB SCSI disks, at home my (x86) Gentoo server works fine with this. Are there any problems I should know, is it possible at all? The first problem I see, is the partition type, because on x86 I had to change it to "fd" for Linux RAID Autodetect. On the Alpha there is no partition type "fd", what I have to do now?

Is there something more different on Alpha then in the "typical" "Software RAID on Linux" manuals?

Thanx
1stBoomer

Sorry for my bad english :wink:
1stBoomer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really no one?! :roll:

1stBoomer
airbatica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the firmware and boot loader you're using. AlphaBIOS + MILO should work for root raid, SRM and ABOOT is more problematic because of BSD Disklables. I ran across a post that claims if you change the partition type to 8H it might work, but don't blame me if it eats your data. I've never tested it myself. I do however use software raid for a 3 disk RAID5 array that serves up my media needs at home. I've had more issues with the file system used and the disks, than the RAID code eating my data.

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: