Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Graphical Installer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: The text install is fine, if it works :) Reply with quote

alaterale wrote:
Although I agree with the idea that it should remain mostly text based, I have to admit that better documentation that is not all jumbled together, or a manual that you can purchase would be a big plus.

I think gentoo has pretty good documentation and it covers everything u need to get ur ssystem up. The only problem is it's kinda old.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
When I install debian I use a couple of floppys :D

couple of floppys? y? use a netinst cd.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a gentoo gui installer project, where it should be seperately maintained by others and not the gentoo-dev team.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

data_the_android wrote:
AutoBot wrote:
When I install debian I use a couple of floppys :D

couple of floppys? y? use a netinst cd.

OT: Some older computers do not have a cdrom ;)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. This thread hasn't died yet.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: the all time classic Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
Most people here posting against this idea fear that it would alter gentoo's basic idea: NO BLOATWARE, SPEED, CUSTOM OPTIMIZATION.

No, that's not true. Many people (including myself) are against the GUI if it involves development effort from the core Gentoo team. If someone outside Gentoo wants to create a GUI installer and contribute it to the project, more power to them. However, there are lots and lots of other things that the core dev team needs to focus on before they start worrying aobut a candy coating.

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
Plus you can have on-the-fly access to FAQs, HOWTOs, forums and (something that did happen to me) mirrors:

You can have all of those with a text-based installer as well. There is no reason any of that requires a GUI installer.

KiTaSuMbA wrote:
Keep in mind that using a stage 3 installation is more damaging than a fancy GUI installer.

This statement makes no sense whatsoever.

--kurt
Pitr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

Important debates are hard to kill.

oh I'm pro a graphical installer, I think that the only hurdle Gentoo has is the install, in general usage emerge makes the system easier to use and maintain than most "userfriendly" distros, I think aside dpkg this is the only system I have seen that can handle a "version update" sanely... anyone tried upgrading a mandrake install, it just can't be done.

8) Gentoo 8)
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitr wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

oh I'm pro a graphical installer, I think that the only hurdle Gentoo has is the install, in general usage emerge makes the system easier to use and maintain than most "userfriendly" distros, I think aside dpkg this is the only system I have seen that can handle a "version update" sanely... anyone tried upgrading a mandrake install, it just can't be done.

8) Gentoo 8)

See someone new to linux and running gentoo would think this exact thing of "Portage ROCKS !!!", well it does most of the time but bad things happen, what do you do when portage all the sudden breaks something system critical from an update world being new to linux?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitr wrote:

klieber wrote:
No, that's not true. Many people (including myself) are against the GUI if it involves development effort from the core Gentoo team. If someone outside Gentoo wants to create a GUI installer and contribute it to the project, more power to them. However, there are lots and lots of other things that the core dev team needs to focus on before they start worrying aobut a candy coating.

That quote from klieber has been mentioned several times if I'm not mistaken. So, I'm amazed this thread hasn't died.
The core dev team will not make one. Anyone else is free to do so. I would have expected the thred to die because:
1) People accept that the core team isn't going to build it
2) Others have started a GUI installer project and created another thread for its development.

However important or useful a GUI installer may be, it is fairly clear the core team isn't making one. Kind of makes
continued discussion pointless (debating why or why not to have a GUI install etc.)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks -- kanuslupus is right. This thread has been beat around enough. There have been no new ideas injected into the discussion in the last few (many) posts and there's no sense rehashing the same stuff over and over.

So, locking thread.

--kurt
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: