View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel I'm currently using (flashed with upslug2 --kernel option, see http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug2) is in:

Code:
/boot/zImage-2.6.14.7.ok

of the tarball. The kernel has root=/dev/sda1 - my flash rootfs partition is empty. The kernel boots straight from the HD with no pivoting!

Kernel notes

- the OpenSlug leds program doesn't work with this kernel. Could be my kernel config options that are slightly squiffy, or else OpenSlug has a different driver for the leds.

- halt works, reboot doesn't. Need more investigation.

Have fun, and thanks for the mirror.
+O!
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squawker wrote:

- the OpenSlug leds program doesn't work with this kernel. Could be my kernel config options that are slightly squiffy, or else OpenSlug has a different driver for the leds.

Just do this :
Code:
mknod /dev/leds c 126 0

/me glad to have a chance to contribute :D
Grtz, Positivo
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made ext3 fs to my usb disks /dev/sda1 and a 1024mb swap drive /dev/sda2

edited /etc/fstab and /etc/conf.d/ files to suite my needs.

Then I entered upgrade mode of nslu2 and did
Code:

#upslug2 --kernel zImage-2.6.14.7

after this, my slug doesn't make no more any beeps etc and my usb disk never gets mounted.
What am I doing wrong?

edit:
There wa also file zImage-2.6.14.7.ok in /boot dir.

I upslug2;d that and after slug booted I saw disk activity light blinking so my disk was being accessed.
Boot took quite a long time, but finally I got it working.

Thanks. Great work.

what's root's password?
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jake1981 wrote:

There wa also file zImage-2.6.14.7.ok in /boot dir.

I upslug2;d that and after slug booted I saw disk activity light blinking so my disk was being accessed.
Boot took quite a long time, but finally I got it working.

Thanks. Great work.

what's root's password?

Good news :D

Did I make the tarball after setting the root password? Hmm, not very smart! If you mount the disk on another machine you should be able to delete the password field in /etc/shadow for root. I just checked that it works - except you can't log in over ssh with a blank password. Grrrr! In fact that might be your problem.

Try pasting this

Code:
$1$qOZgOi/T$EJKmAnxwJ/Ukq/ax67OqQ0

into the /etc/shadow entry for root and using the password Gen2Slug

Alternatively, if the password is blank (or you blank it) you can set

Code:
PermitEmptyPasswords yes

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid confusion - I just checked the tarball, and the top of /etc/shadow looks like this:

Code:

root:*:10770:0:::::
halt:*:9797:0:::::
operator:*:9797:0:::::
shutdown:*:9797:0:::::

Either:
Remove the '*' from the root line and modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config as noted to allow blank passwords.

Or:
Replace that '*' with the encrypted string above and use Gen2Slug as the password.
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping me out, I had already sorted out this little problem by installing default openslug image to my slug, then I chrooted into gentoo disk, and used passwd to change password :)

Then I did exit,unmount and entered upgrade mode again to put your kernel into slug.

---

Had anyone tryied to install gcc 4.0.2 or gcc 4.1.0 on their slugs? I've tryied to install both for quite a many times now withoutl luck.. Compiling gcc makes quite a lot of problems..
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In portage's profiles -> arm there's 2004.3
anyone tryied to update to 2004.3 by setting make.profile linked to 2004.3?
Should I give it a try..?

---

I had almost completed my gentooSLUG. latest samba (well, not beta 4.x, so not latest really) along with latest openldap, usermin, webmin, ntp, etc and a lot of network tools (arping,nmap,traceroute..) and then other stuff like mc,irssi,bnc,miau,etc.. list is endless :)

I was tweaking my openldap and I noticed that I am missing ldap_pam so I tryied to emerge it, but what?
emerge was going really slow, after 1 hour it hadn't even't yet checked that Metafile and digest are like they should, I shutted off all services that I don't require @ moment. samba, ldap, ntp going down.. CTRL-C and re-emerge..
and still it goes nowhere.. So I think maybe my slug has over-heated, not impossible, it has been compiling stuff for about 2 weeks already :) So, I reboot it and what, it mounts my disk, I can see my external disks activity light blinking, but after that it stops loading. I tryied everything and nope, after mounting it didn't do anything at all anymore. Unfortunately my slug isn't equipped with a serial port, so it's difficult to debug it..

First I try to change my settings in /etc to fix the problem and after hours of working I decide that I've messed it up completely somehow and erase my hd. Let's start from zero once again.. (well, I did make some backups of my conf files and a list of software that I want to install) and reboot.. Nope. Still nothing. I tryied to re-install kernel to slug but that didn't help either. After couple of more hours trying I start to worry if my slug has died and install openslug-2.7beta. Slug starts and beeps when boot is complete, I ssh to it, nice, everything works, I try to mount disk and it works too.. Great, after this I once again.. Erase my hd and untar stage3 tarball to it before I re-install gentooslug kernel to flash. it works. I got no idea what caused this behaviour.

Now slug loads up and gets ip and all.. but sshd doesn't start.. ARGH!!!

Now I am installing openslug-2.7-beta once again, so I can chroot to my gentoo, emerge syslog-ng,su and utelnetd so I could have alternative way to log in (also need to make non-root user with group wheel so he can su) and if I still can't log in, I can atleast check syslogs contents.. Argh, damn, installing gentoo first time was so easy and now I can't get it to work even though I am doing it exactly as I did on first time..

---

I tried to make my own kernel.

For compatibility issues, I chose same kernel tree, 2.6.14.7 and started inserting Chilla's patches.
I got all patched up, expect patch 20-timer.patch (as far as I remember).

Then I picked up your kernel config file and used menuconf to make some changes, I wanted to enable ipv6 and ipv6tables support as modules, and I also wanted some more hardware support, e.g. my slug runs on recommended Maxtor drive, and linux kernel has support for it's button, I have no idea what I should make it do, but desided to enable that also. Also I enabled v4l, so I was able to enable support for webcams and scanners, along with usb printers. I recall that printers weren't enabled either..

Okay, someone may say that what the hell do you do with a webcam on slug, but I could host a webserver on it with page that frequently downloads image from webcam, right? Not planning to do so, but wanted to have that possibility.

ipv6tables also is REQUIRED with ipv6 as I want to block out ipv6 connections from outside my ipv6 prefix ;)
or soon people are downloading my file shares (afaik samba nor windows's equillavent does not support ipv6;)

well, anyway.
I did it somehow like this:
Code:

#make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu-
#make modules_install

then I used prepimage to make image work on nslu2.. and uploaded my brand new kernel. Also copied my new modules and then a reboot. But what??? My slug wasn't getting IP.. Something was wrong. Kernel did work but something with my modules didn't. I copied old modules back and voila, my kernel works and IP is acquired (network if module loads). But what did I do wrong..?
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a small guide on compiling kernel for slug?

Did you compile it natively or did you cross compile it?
If you did cross compile it, what toolchain did you use?
What kind of command line options did you pass for make?
squawker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've only compiled the kernel natively:

- grab 2.6.14.3
- apply patches for Slug as described by Chilla
- grab 2.6.14.3 and 2.6.14.7, diff the two to generate an intermediate patch
- apply intermediate patch to Slug-patched 2.6.14.3
- use .config file in my tarball (started with Chilla's and adjusted some bits to my personal taste)
- make && make modules_install
- emerge ixp4xx (otherwise you won't have an ixp400 network driver in /lib/modules...)
- prepimage and flash

Basically that's it.
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squawker wrote:
Hi there,

I've only compiled the kernel natively:

- grab 2.6.14.3
- apply patches for Slug as described by Chilla
- grab 2.6.14.3 and 2.6.14.7, diff the two to generate an intermediate patch
- apply intermediate patch to Slug-patched 2.6.14.3
- use .config file in my tarball (started with Chilla's and adjusted some bits to my personal taste)
- make && make modules_install
- emerge ixp4xx (otherwise you won't have an ixp400 network driver in /lib/modules...)
- prepimage and flash

Basically that's it.

Propably forgetting to emerge that ixp4xx with my last try of kernel compilation caused that failure I mentioned earlier.
Finally got emerged by slug to up 2 date with all software that I want to have included, creating backup now and then I'll start kernel compilation..
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something updates in etc when I do
Code:

storagelink # emerge --sync
storagelink # emerge -avtDu system
storagelink # emerge -avtDu world

and after that.. I am no longer able to boot my system. Or I have changed something that doesn't work properly..

I have /etc-orig and /etc-new and /etc in root of my /dev/sda1 ext3 fs, /etc-orig is a copy of /etc couple of weeks
back when I checked that my slug boots. and I did
Code:

storagelink # mv /etc /etc-new

when I noticed that my slug again refuses to boot.
So.. I did
Code:

storagelink # cp -r -p /etc-orig /etc

and now I am able to boot again, but none of my customizations are working and my programs don't have
their config files and so on..

I made
Code:

storagelink # diff -r -u /etc-orig /etc-new

to check what has changed but I can't find anything that really would matter..
for e.g. samba configuration :) shouldn't disable slug's bootup, right ?-)

It's something that is loaded in the very beginning of slug's boot, as when I power-up my slug, it boots.. then I see harddisk activity light wander (I have maxtor's external disk, so it has a nice light that tells status, blinking when in power-save mode, wander when activity and constantly on, when idle) it stops for a moment (I guess it just mounted /dev/sda1 here) and then there's disk activity for about.. 2-3 seconds.. and then it stops. And nothing happens anymore.

I don't have a serial cable and I am very bad in electronics, so even if I knew what parts to get, I'd propably just screw it up while building it, or if not, then I would screw it up propably when assembling it slug, and yeah, I really know what I am talking about since I screwed up my dbox2 when installing a conax module to it :) (luckily guy who sold me that module was good with his hands and was able to fix it up) so I am not even about to get a serial interface to my slug.

And yes, I got no friends who would be able to do it for me for a small profit (or for free). Me and my friends are only good when something needs to go broken :)

I am pretty sure that other people have ended up with this too, so any tips?

EDIT:
Actually after I copied my /orig-etc to /etc my system still won't boot. There just is longer harddisk activity than with new-etc, but eventually it stops and pinging it won't give any results :(

I am in a dead-end.. I added "echo MODULENAME >>/tmp/test" to every file in /etc/runlevels/default but file test doesn't exist after I try to boot. Where the hell have I gone wrong..?

EDIT2:

Yeah. Got it fixed, made fsck.ext3 /dev/sda1 on my linux PC for my slug's hd. That fixed it.
But still, something wrong in /etc as it won't boot with my customized and updated /etc.

Searching for reason..

EDIT3:

Okay. Here's what was causing the problem.

I have edited my /etc/nsswitch.conf so that there's no compat, instead there is
Code:
files ldap

for passwd shadow and group.

nslu2-gentoo doesn't work with that. It NEEDS compat and propably only compat because I also
tried
Code:

passwd: compat files ldap
shadow: compat files ldap
group: compat files ldap

and that failed too. Maybe compat and ldap..? I'll try later..

EDIT4:

Okay, can't use compat ldap either.
I'd need some kind of work around, problem is that it tries to contact my ldap server and forgets about compat or files or what ever I put there if there's ldap defined, so now I'd need a work around for this, I'd need nsswitch.conf to have compat files ldap IF /etc/init.d/slapd has been started, if it hasn't compat is enough. I could ofcourse my nsswitch.conf.ldap and nsswitch.conf.noldap and make nsswitch.conf a symlink to these files, slapd startup could change symlink to nsswitch.conf.ldap on start and .noldap on exit, but what if my slug goes to kernel panic or something?

Well.. I could have these files in 2 different directories, on other directory these two files would both contain only compat, and these 2 files would be always linked to nsswitch.conf, and ldap start would use mount --bind /etc/nssldap /etc/nssconfs and do a unmount during stop, also a cron job would be suggested that would check if process of slapd still exists and if not, then unmount, for e.g. once in hour or two, this way, even if slapd would exit, I still could get inside my system with ssh/etc (with bad luck I'd need to wait 2 hours for that :wink: )

But this would make it work. Well, this still needs some thinking and studying, but this would work in theorically. Haven't tested though (error in jake's biological system: out of time :wink: ) and this is quite ugly hack, but if no one helps me out or I don't find other ways to do this, then I'll try this, as it's pretty safe anyway..

but finally I found the reason what causes slug to go to non-booting slug :)
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance to have Chilla's guide translated in English pls ?
chilla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill translate it the next days. When its done, it can be found at the gentoo-wiki.

TU-BS Wiki
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a lot chilla. I can't wait to convert my slug from debian-arm -> gentoo-armeb.
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to read some portions of the chilla's german howto (with the help of some friends) and got gentoo w/ uclibc up and running on my slug. Now I want to build a custom kernel but the url's for the patches and prepimage are dead. Can anyone host them somewhere or send them to me via pm pls ?
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a basic gentoo system up and running on the slug :) Right now I'm just using it as a music server (slimdevice's slimserver). More to come in the future.

Small iritant. The ready/status led is continuously flashing amber! I've followed, to the letter, these instructions (at the bottom of the page):
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Linksys_NSLU2#LEDs
The Ethernet and Disk 1/2 leds function properly.

Anyone not have a flashing amber status led after you've finished the boot process? If so, can you tell me what you might have done differently?

TIA,
Bill
linux user #241871
zen_guerrilla
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uclibc is nice and memory friendly but I guess I'm gonna switch back to glibc since lots of stuff (like rtorrent and iconv) don't work with it. This weekend I'll give squawker's tarball a shot.

Any chance to host chilla's kernel patches and the prepimage script tsomewhere pls ? http://dev.gentoo.org/~morfic/ is not available and http://chilla.biz asks for username/passwd. I need to build a custom kernel with specific modules.
chilla
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eehh im sorry. the stuff moved to http://nyrbs.de/~chilla/projekte/NSLU2/ and http://nyrbs.de/~chilla/projekte/NSLU2/files/

please be patient, ill put my config there too these days.

TU-BS Wiki
npt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: I got gentoo up and running on my slug! Reply with quote

Well, as the subject says, I got gentoo going on my slug. Right now I am wishing I would have de-underclocked the machine, but I was afraid of the scary surface mount hardware. Anyway, portage is running, I'm at 3 of 51 so it shouldn't be too long, a day or two... ? :p

Anyway, hope everyone else messing with the NSLU2 and gentoo is doing well. feel free to email me if you need any help nicholas.thompson1@mchsi.com and if it's something I know, i'd be more than happy to share.

I followed the wiki at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Linksys_NSLU2 , though I must say you need to remember the module is ixp400_eth not ixp425_eth, so in the aliases file, make sure you get that right or you won't
get a network module loaded at bootup.

Nick
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: can somebody provide me with the modules for the sound Reply with quote

I installed openslug3.1 and gentoo on top of it with pretty good success
Now I want to install a USB sound card and I need to install the modules for it .I tried ti install ipkg onto gentoo, but it gives me errors
ipkg: Invalid magic
Segmentation fault
i could only get version 0.99.102 to install the latest version 0.99.163 need libipkg and I could not locate this on the internet.
So I think if somebody has the modules listed below and could email them to me or post a link I just need to copy them and I should be OK?

SlugOs? users can install the "kernel-module-snd-usb-audio" package. After that the following commands need to be given
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-rawmidi.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usb-lib.ko

thanks in advance
guenter
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.*/kernel/sound/usb/snd-usb-audio.ko
depmod -a
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linbox: Just having the modules isn't the end of the story... they have to be linked to the same kernel that you're running, built using the same version of gcc.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Have you been able to boot to armeb-softfloat-linux-gnu stage3 with openslug firmware? 8O 8O 8O I've been trying this for ages without success, but I can help you out with your problem..

Shutdown your slug, remove harddisk from slug's USB port and start slug, now it boots to openslug since turnup fails due to missing HD. Wait until it has booted and you are able to ssh into it, login as root and plug in your hd, it should mount it automaticly under /media/sda1 (if you root partition is sda1 ofcourse)..

You can check this with mount command, I use root /dev/sda1 by myself, so I use root partition /dev/sda1 also in this example. So, if it isn't mounted, you can also mount it by hand:
Code:
#mount /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -t ext3
(change ext3 to your root fs type, also directory /media/sda1 must exist before this)

now do this:
Code:

#echo "dest disd /media/sda1/" >>/etc/ipkg.conf
#ipkg update
#ipkg upgrade
#ipkg -d disk install kernel-modules

Now all kernel modules are installed under /lib/modules on your disk.
ixp* modules do not count in these, so you need to copy your openslug's /lib/modules/2.6.16 first to your disk.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to turnup to this kind of setup and as I don't have a serial interface and no skills to build one, I can't find out why it doesn't work.

I was able to boot to arm-softfloat-linux-uclibc stage with this method using latest openslug, but unfortunately I never became happy with this setup as uclibc just isn't for me, there's just too many limitations as for example, I want to run openldap server with samba and cups/hplip, with ldap_pam and nss_ldap but nss_ldap just won't run under uclibc and porting it would require huge code changes, actually I think it propably would need a complete re-write :x

I also downloaded Master Makefile from www.nslu2-linux.org and re-compiled openslug-kernel with small modifications, I changed it's command line options to include "root=/dev/sda1" and also made ext3 and jbd support to be included in kernel instead of them being modules. Thought that it should had done it, but nope. When I boot my slug with this kernel, it does something on my disk, but stops quite quickly. Again, no serial interface, so no debugging possibilities..

Hopefully more people would become interested in this project, as Gentoo is a great system and it would be great to run it on nslu2, and also without uclibc :D

Also it would be best thing ever if gentoo could be run by using openslug's normal turnup script as is would allow us easily to upgrade our slug's kernel when ever slugos or openslug folks make progress, althought it would be more gentoo's style if we could compile our own kernels natively with emerge, but I think we spent already enough time when emerging stuff to our slugs.. :)
linbox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

////linbox: Just having the modules isn't the end of the story... they have to be linked to the same kernel that you're running, built using the same version of gcc.

Hi Redhatter - I know that this isimportant, but this modules should be the modules from the openslug3.10 packages available so they should be compiled with the same compiler!?
jake1981:
I followed the howto at http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Linksys_NSLU2 and I had good success.

I did make a copy of my hard drive as a tar file If your interested in a copy of the cd lat me know it has gentoo,mysql,samba,giantdisc (musicserver) www.giantdisc.org ...
already installed.

If somebody has a website or ftp to host it I could sent it.

Guenter
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT! I really DO want it.. Unforutately my server doesn't have enough space until I get my slug working and stuff from my server moved to it :)

But I'll try to free up some space.. I'll PM you soon.

How big is this tarball?

EDIT: Diskspace freed. You've got a PM..
jake1981
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks linbox. File arrived. Unfortunately it is based on uclibc stage instead of glibc which we are working on with here.
I earlier also got uclibc stage working as it should work, but I erased my work with it as I noticed that I can't reach my goals with it :( Well thanks anyway.

btw. hopefully you got modules installed in the way I explained, it shoulds to work, that way I got modules to my uclibc version..

EDIT:
I have now installed debianslug-3.10 again to my nslu2, I then copied everything from my slug's root to /dev/sda1,
installed bash,gcc,linux headers,python,coreutils,tar,bzip2,binutils and devs for all these if they existed with all extras to my /dev/sda1.

After this I have chrooted to my sda1.

Then I manually installed portage (checked it's ebuild on where to put stuff and so on) and have done some of required changes too. Currently I am trying to install sandbox with emerge to my openslug/debianslug/gentooslug system, currently I have been able to configure, still need some changes until portage/emerge works properly, after this I am planning to do a native ROOT=/mnt/mygentoo emerge for all packages in normal stage3 and check if I this way can make a stage3 file for arm-unknown-linux-gnu

I'll report here.

---

After emerge's configure, I noticed that I was missing make, automake,autoconf and file, doing ipkg install as we speak..

EDIT2:

Unfortunately I failed to build due to interworking error. Already erased my work and decided to surrender and going with uclibc now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: