Bandwith management
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Bandwith management Reply with quote

Guys,

What I want to do: I have a 512k/b ADSL modem & I want to split the bandwidth into 3 (for the 3 pc's in my house). Then I want to be able to allow users access to access to others bandwidth if it isn't being used.

The How-To's in LDP are rather complex & talk about much more high level things than I need.

Does anyone have a quicker to set up easier solution?
DefconAlpha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Bandwith sharing Reply with quote

You will need a router.

You can get a prebuilt router for ~$40 from the right online vendor (search pricewatch for a cable/dsl router with a 4 port switch) or a Pentium class computer with two NIC's and a hub/switch.

For an *easy* firewall, try [url]http://www.bbiagent.net [/url]
For a *good* firewall, try http://www.coyotelinux.com
These firewalls will fit onto a floppy disk, so no hard drive is needed (no video card, mouse and keyboard is needed after you get them initially set up) Oh, and you will not want these firewalls if you opt for the commercial router, they will have one built in.

If you really don't have the money, try searching for a program called WinGate Pro (yeah yeah, it's win based) and then the only thing you will need is a hub/switch... but one computer will have to be left on all the time.
joycea
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used WinGate in years, but last I remember it is just a proxy.

Why not run NAT under linux (Just throwing this in as this is a Linux forum)? You will get better support for applications that don't have a specific proxy built, and then (not sure on this) you might also be able to use QOS to determine bandwidth allocation by IP.
ali
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a gentoo system as a server routing t'internet thru to the other PC's, but was wondering about how to "smart" route. NAT sounds like an avenue I havn't tried.....I'll see if it's what I'm after.

Cheers,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: