View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Shop: T-Shirts for girls Reply with quote

It is always disappointing for me to go to any of the "merchandise" shops for geeky things (distros, gnome, apps..) and to find there is nothing for women. Cafepress has things like the "Jr. Spaghetti Tank" and the "Jr. Hoodie" that I'd love to wear "gentooized" versions of! (Heck, I'd even order a gentoo thong if there was one).

I know I could order a regular gentoo t-shirt, cut it up, and sew it back together or else "create-my-own" t-shirt at cafe-press with gentoo logos and then just donate money to gentoo... maybe that's even more in keeping with the "build it from source" philosophy, but if I had enough time to spend on all the "cool" clothing projects I thought of, I wouldn't have time to be geeky enough to wear them anyway! That and I'm not particularly good at sewing.

I even strongly considered buying a bunch of the lesbian linux stuff, just because I would actually wear it and it's geeky, the problem is: I don't like debian and I don't use it. Gnome has only boy shirts and mozilla is the same. :( What's a geeky-girl to do?
unclecharlie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

star.dancer,
I agree. I'd love to see grrls wearing cute Gentoo merch... (I especially like the Gentoo thong idea.)

Charlie
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Shop: T-Shirts for girls Reply with quote

star.dancer wrote:
It is always disappointing for me to go to any of the "merchandise" shops for geeky things (distros, gnome, apps..) and to find there is nothing for women. Cafepress has things like the "Jr. Spaghetti Tank" and the "Jr. Hoodie" that I'd love to wear "gentooized" versions of! (Heck, I'd even order a gentoo thong if there was one).

I know I could order a regular gentoo t-shirt, cut it up, and sew it back together or else "create-my-own" t-shirt at cafe-press with gentoo logos and then just donate money to gentoo... maybe that's even more in keeping with the "build it from source" philosophy, but if I had enough time to spend on all the "cool" clothing projects I thought of, I wouldn't have time to be geeky enough to wear them anyway! That and I'm not particularly good at sewing.

I even strongly considered buying a bunch of the lesbian linux stuff, just because I would actually wear it and it's geeky, the problem is: I don't like debian and I don't use it. Gnome has only boy shirts and mozilla is the same. :( What's a geeky-girl to do?

I think I'm in love :/

I agree, there should be more girls stuff, they make clothes look good, especially geeky clothes.
jhunholz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered that Ubuntu has a website for Ubuntu women! I don't know how many women use Gentoo though.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Shop: T-Shirts for girls Reply with quote

star.dancer wrote:
What's a geeky-girl to do?

Have you sent an e-mail to cafepress@gentoo.org suggesting the inclusion of said items?
EasterStar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently thinking the same thing! I'd definitely buy gentoo clothing, if I could get it in women's intead of men's style! I'm typically cold, so a gentoo "jr hoodie" would be great - I could stay warm AND declare my geekiness. :D
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhunholz wrote:
I just discovered that Ubuntu has a website for Ubuntu women!

Yes, it's pretty cool. :-) As is the Debian Women project.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German Gentoo shop has girlies: http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php curtis119 - removed sid from url

By the way, I really hope the guys around here won't annoy you a lot now that you have revealed yourself as female.
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nephros wrote:
The German Gentoo shop has girlies: http://www.spreadshirt.net/shop.php curtis119 - removed sid from url
By the way, I really hope the guys around here won't annoy you a lot now that you have revealed yourself as female.

Wow, it's tempting to order from spreadshirt in germany but I'm not sure if they even ship things here (canada) and it's going to be at least 30 Euros for a spaghetti-tank w/shipping, $43 CAD yikes, and they are heat transfer shirts besides. I am going to hold out for stuff closer to home.

I guess I should say, just in case anybody in "important gentoo decision making land" is listening and decides to fulfill my feminine apparel seeking desires, go for "direct printing" not "heat transfer" :)

Nephros: I'm not too worried about the boys, they always just get intimidated by my righteous programming skills anyway. (I can't believe I just used that phrase!)

kallamej: I sent an email to cafepress@gentoo.com, thanks!
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, look what searching on cafepress revealed:
Tank
Thong 1
Thong 2
Thong 3

Hmm, Thong 2.. isnt that a thong by Blur?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

star.dancer wrote:
Nephros: I'm not too worried about the boys, they always just get intimidated by my righteous programming skills anyway. (I can't believe I just used that phrase!)

Luckily I'm not a boy anymore.. Which languages do you work with? ;)
j/k

Anyhow, hopefully cafépress will come up with some decent stuff for the ladies. It'll show that it can be trendy to be geeky, we need more girls in the IT industry.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nephros wrote:
Hmm, look what searching on cafepress revealed:
Tank
Thong 1
Thong 2
Thong 3

Hmm, Thong 2.. isnt that a thong by Blur?

Yeah, but they are not from the official Gentoo Store as far as I can tell.
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kallamej wrote:
Yeah, but they are not from the official Gentoo Store as far as I can tell.

Well then that is a bug in the Gentoo store then and those are a workaround...
To support Gentoo you can still send a paypal donation upstream, or buy CDs or something.
christel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there should be female cut tee's and hoodies.

I have every intention of repeatedly prodding cshields until he agrees that it's a necessity!
seppelrockt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@star.dancer: The shipping costs of The German Gentoo store is pretty cheap to Germany, only 2.50 EURO. That makes 16.40 EURO for the tank top. I don't know what private shipping from Germany to Canada is for small things like cloth, but if you realy want that cloth I can do it that way for you (bying it in Germany and then sending it to you).

EDIT: OK you are right, the shipping adds 12.90 EURO to the price when I send it to you myself - thats pretty much I'd think. Maybe you should add another top or something ;-)
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is the design master and go to a T-shirt printer of your choice here in Canada and get it done. That's the cheapest you get and whatever the price difference is to the gentoo shop you can just donate if you want to.

Who made the design masters for the Gentoo shop for the male clothing?
brims
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo Shop: T-Shirts for girls Reply with quote

star.dancer wrote:
It is always disappointing for me to go to any of the "merchandise" shops for geeky things (distros, gnome, apps..)

You want a female distro? Wouldn't that be Fedora? I'm just kidding about that.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The german shop doesn't make custom designs? I'd like to have this design but a slime fit shirt, maybe digital transfer is possible on black cloth? This one is also nice. Some of the cafepress.com designs are awful. :)
animehair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy an Official womans Gentoo clothing for my girlfriend...My girl would wear it too. She is no way a computer geek, but she would find it very cute and endearing to wear an official Gentoo girls t-shirt just because I love it so much. I think its HOT, and she would be even HOTTER!
obsrv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girl used gentoo for some time, but asked me to install ArchLinux for her. She don't like long compilation of updates in Gentoo :) but despite that she uses ArchLinux now I will buy a nice T-Shirt with gentoo logo :D as soon as it will be available in gentoo store
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

christel wrote:
I have every intention of repeatedly prodding cshields until he agrees that it's a necessity!

Chris (the guy at the other end of the cafepress@gentoo.org) told me he was going to try and make it happen! Hooray!
christel
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

star.dancer wrote:
christel wrote:

Chris (the guy at the other end of the cafepress@gentoo.org) told me he was going to try and make it happen! Hooray!

Awesome! :)
ShadowMetis
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a great new spin on women's lib... Gentoo apparel for all! Nothing hotter than a girl in Gentoo. If you ladies are ever in NY, look me up. ;)
esje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everybody think women only use the simpler distros? Though the amount of women using linux is rather small, if you look around a bit, you will find that most of the women that do use it, are actually using rather "manly" distros such as debian or gentoo :D We're tougher than you think, guys, even though we lose a lot of time paying attention to how that tank top is going to fit with our nail polish :mrgreen:
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't go wrong with a purple nail polish ;)

I see more using mac's and solaris then linux though, course thats all in the biochem department when I visit my dad there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: