Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
problems with via82xx sound and alsa (crappy sound)?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hulk2nd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: problems with via82xx sound and alsa (crappy sound)? Reply with quote

if you have problems,for example scratching sound. with your via (onboard) soundchip and alsa, maybe this can solve your problem (at least partly):

edit your /etc/esd/esd.conf and add "-r 48000" to the spawn_options. for example my one looks like this
Code:
spawn_options=-terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -r 48000

under kde you just have to enter "48000" within the sound settings into the bit rate line.

but jou have to change the audio output plugin in nearly every application with sound you have, for example in xmms you have to change it to eSound-output-plugin.

sadly i havent figured out yet, where i have to add this setting to alsa, cause normally should the ac97 module, which will be compiled with alsa, do this setting.

UPDATE:
you can also emerge gs-sources and then enable the via sound support in the kernel. since a few versions, the kernel module also works for this soundchip

greetz, hulk

Last edited by hulk2nd on Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
ferringb
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionaly, if you're using xmms w/ the xmms-alsa plugin (rather nice I think), configuring xmms-alsa to NOT use mmap can remove a lot of clicking/popping/staticy type noises, or at least it did for me using alsa module snd-intel8x0 (ecs k7s5a mobo, can't recall the actual onboard sound chip)...
Negated Void
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's the same probelm, but setting the volumes of PCM and Master to 20 instead of 100 with amixer fixed my sound issues.
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a via8233 and The only way I got it to work was to use OSS from the kernel and drop alsa altogether. I read somewhere (can't find the link to the page) that the 9.x alsa series doesn't work with via.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: