View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Specialized
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on PS3 Reply with quote

According to this Site, the PS3 will support Linux officially. Are there Plans for a PS3-Kernel like for the xbox or any other support for Gentoo on PS3?

It would be really nice, a 3,2 Ghz Cell-Processor, Nvidia GPU, Blue-ray-Diskdrive.... 8)
Could be a good Replacement for a Desktop PC.
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges

KernelNewbies wrote:

• Latest stable release: 2.6.16

• support for the Cell processor

More about Cell BE development: http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/topics/cell

I for one believe Gentoo will be [again] the first distro to support a new mainstream architecture.

Edit: More docs:

http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/
zisper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: YDL ftw! Reply with quote

Nope, yellow dog. Still who'd have thought it at the time the above post was made? But linux on PS3 though - I'm excited about that thing again!
corsair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: YDL ftw! Reply with quote

zisper wrote:
Nope, yellow dog.

yea, too bad we don't have early access to the PS3 like Terrasoft/Yellow Dog Linux had...

anyway.. everything depends on how well supported linux on PS3 will be on kernel side. Though I will get my PS3 not before March (living in europe) and only if I have enough money at that time... :roll:

-corsair
zisper
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm in Aus so in the same boat about the March delay..... And the price, a fairly expensive "toy" at $1,000AU. (My tv isn't HD so I can't even justify it on the Blu-Ray player as I did with the DVD & PS2. ;)
TheDevilsJester
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the PS3 allows for installation and dual/multibooting of OSes, I would love to see a Gentoo release on it.

Of course, until then, Yellow Dog will have to do (once its released later this month), but it will never feel like home without Gentoo.
linuxtuxhellsinki
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also really looking forward for this , I've readed that it will cost 550¤ & 650¤ here in Finland :)

Maybe I'll dump my 1.6Ghz P4 desktop when I'm getting it in my hands (met Linux natuurlijk) 8)
okoru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sign up for PartnerWorld, you can gain access to our Cell Blades...

www.ibm.com/partnerworld/
www.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/vlp/
meetra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/index.html
whitesanjuro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: ps3 Reply with quote

i am working on getting gentoo going on the ps3 now that it is finally out - see a gallery of my progress here. so far what i have done is:

-download firmware update
-partition drive in system settings menu
-download sony bootloader
-download sony cell addon cd
-gentoo ppc64 live cd
-download gentoo stage 3
-download gentoo portage tree
-install sony bootloader by loading it and kboot onto usb mass storage and running install-other-os from settings menu
-partition / setup swap (need to mkswap in gentoo chroot)
-mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/tmp
-mount /mnt/tmp/img.squashfs /mnt/livecd
-mount -t tmpfs none rwlivecd
-cp -a /mnt/livecd/etc /mnt/livecd/var /mnt/livecd/dev /rwlivced
-make /home /root /mnt /tmp /proc /sys in /rwlivecd
-mount -o bind bin lib sbin usr to the rwlivecd match
-chroot into the livecd
-mount sysfs and proc

right now i am syncing the portage tree, more updates as they come (i am ssh-ed into it remotely from work at the moment)
tcx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep posting your progress.

Good work.
whitesanjuro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: details Reply with quote

some of the stuff i didn't mention:

- i upgraded the hd from 20G to 120G
- the partitioning tool from the game os only allows you to do a 10G/rest or rest/10G split between game-os/other-os partitions and the hypervisor acts as a shield which presents the other-os as a virtual scsi drive (i.e. /dev/sda) - this is annoying because it means i either do 110G-sony/10G-linux or the opposite...i choose 10G-linux because game installs are big (~5G/game) and i have a fileserver that is easy to get to via samba
- the lack of a video driver is going to be a severe limitation in terms of using the machine as a media front-end
- check out this site for the cell addon cd and source

any questions or advice, let me know :)
branana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The live CD has all the modules for ethernet and bluray drive etc? Do you know if the 60GB's wifi has kernel modules for it?
whitesanjuro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

branana wrote:
The live CD has all the modules for ethernet and bluray drive etc? Do you know if the 60GB's wifi has kernel modules for it?

actually, kboot, the bootloader which is really a linux kernel, has the drivers. they will need to be compiled into your kernel based on the cell addon cd i linked to earlier. there are 3 things the ps3 can't do in hardware on linux:
-wifi (no driver planned)
-hardware gpu acceleration (framebuffer only for now, how long? idk)
-SIXAXIS via bluetooth (only usb right now)

the memory card reader is just a series of mass storage devices and there are a few weird quirks (like no VLAN on the gigE because it is "used internally by the controller" or something like that, but overall it's decent.

check out my google page for details. i'm going to bed for the night.

ps - the profile it was using by default didn't allow for gcc 4.x, so watch out unless you want 3.x gcc.
branana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about Yellow Dog, they are running E17 on theirs. How come they got more than just Framebuffer?
acidraven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess is not that they are not hardware accelerated but have made code for the Cells for doing the nice effects. I would love for them to a low us to use the video hardware. But who knows what kind of deal is between nvidia and Sony. and then you have the deals between nvida and who ever it is they have code from that is supposed to be the problem with a official open sourced video driver
Pliablemammal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you s'plain more? :twisted:

okoru wrote:
If you sign up for PartnerWorld, you can gain access to our Cell Blades...

www.ibm.com/partnerworld/
www.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/vlp/
cyanide_nfs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good look at the FC5 instructions. The distro isn't installed using the official installer, but a seperate binary which is specially released for the PS3. Once you start the installation, it first installs all the RPMs to the hard-disk. After that, it asks for an Addon Disc, which is released by Sony too. This disc contains a few RPMs which I guess are added stuff required specifically for the PS3, including a 2.6.16 kernel rpm - kernel-2.6.16-20061108.ppc64.rpm

But I'd take a guess that that CD can be used only with Fedora Core 5. The good thing is that Power Developer has released kernel patches which should work well on a plain vanilla ppc kernel. Currently, I've noticed that you guys haven't checked out that option, and without that, I wouldn't expect Gentoo to work properly.

There's a bunch of info and links available here in my articles at QJ
http://ps3.qj.net/index.php?bgid=286
http://dl.qj.net/PlayStation-3-Linux-Tools/catid/514

Sucks that I don't have a PS3, but I will get getting on as soon as they're released in India. Nothing like the most kickass Linux distro on a now-kickass console :twisted:
whitesanjuro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyanide_nfs wrote:
I had a good look at the FC5 instructions. The distro isn't installed using the official installer, but a seperate binary which is specially released for the PS3. Once you start the installation, it first installs all the RPMs to the hard-disk. After that, it asks for an Addon Disc, which is released by Sony too. This disc contains a few RPMs which I guess are added stuff required specifically for the PS3, including a 2.6.16 kernel rpm - kernel-2.6.16-20061108.ppc64.rpm

But I'd take a guess that that CD can be used only with Fedora Core 5. The good thing is that Power Developer has released kernel patches which should work well on a plain vanilla ppc kernel. Currently, I've noticed that you guys haven't checked out that option, and without that, I wouldn't expect Gentoo to work properly.

This is all accurate, but the source code version of the addon cd has all the source to build those programs, so you don't need to use Fedora Core. All the FC installer does is populate the HD with a bunch of stuff and handle the partitioning/formatting for you, in addition to giving you a kernel that works for sure. Since Gentoo users frequently compile all that stuff, it can take a while...I left my PS3 on overnight and it is still chugging away.

Also, thanks for contributing to that website! It has been my #1 resource on the net for getting packages and reading about all the PS3 linux stuff. Great coverage of PS3 news and good articles.
linuxtuxhellsinki
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the RAM, is it upgradeable anyhow :?:
whitesanjuro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxtuxhellsinki wrote:

not unless you are a really confident soldering god - check out these pictures of the ps3 disassembled. also, considering it uses Rambus XDR memory, i don't know where you would easily be able to get any. additionally, the system may not even look for extra memory, but i think at this point, its kind of an academic exercise.
cyanide_nfs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will be possible to increase the RAM.

1] You'll need to be a soldering God, like whitesanjuro said.
2] The OS will probably keep a check on the hardware, like with the 360, so it won't be possible to beat that protection, atleast until we can have a software exploit in the PS3's Game OS. And with Sony actually welcoming Linux on the PS3, there's not much of an incentive to go hunting for exploits. Maybe if Sony don't give RSX support, people might look for software exploits in the Game OS to try to run unsigned code, but I'd say that it'll still be very difficult.

I think right now, we should just try to get stuff working in Linux itself so that we can get to know the hardware much more properly

Quote:
Also, thanks for contributing to that website! It has been my #1 resource on the net for getting packages and reading about all the PS3 linux stuff. Great coverage of PS3 news and good articles.

You're most welcome! :D

Btw, could you give more details about your install? I didn't actually pay attention to the source CD since I didn't upload it myself.
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxtuxhellsinki wrote:

Via hardware, impossible.

Via software... maybe... hopefully the video memory can be used as additional RAM, via kernel hacks, or perhaps RAM disks.
Now we only need to know is if the hypervisor didn't lock it too.
whitesanjuro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: wii have gentoo on the ps3! Reply with quote

check out my google page for details and procedure! i am going to work on getting X going in the future, but now its time to wait for the wii!
Matteo Azzali
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: wii have gentoo on the ps3! Reply with quote

whitesanjuro wrote:
check out my google page for details and procedure! i am going to work on getting X going in the future, but now its time to wait for the wii!

Hu? isn't yellowdog gonna be working with X on PS3? I mean, they have OOo and firefox inside that distro....
which issue did you encountered in emerging X?

Also, is the wii supposed to run linux??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: