View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had you emerged anything after you downgraded it?
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=125909
Quote:
------ Comment #24 From Luca Barbato 2006-03-14 00:13 PST [reply] -------

try using busybox to repair the system

in fact you could try to chroot with bb (if you have one - if not it surely could be downloaded somewhere, it should be linked static) and try again with the rebuilding and see what's failing next.
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you still would like to try to save the installation
delete
/lib/tls/
in fact go and look /var//db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-rX/CONTENTS
delete all the files, which are listed there and after that re-extract 2.4
Godsmack
kev009
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from 2.3.6-r3 nptl to 2.4 on amd64 without trouble.
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I'm back in business. Turned out /lib/tls was leftover stuff from 2.3.x that had to be destroyed so 2.4 would work again. Of course I'm definitely stuck with 2.4, but at least with Xorg recompiled I seem to be going OK. For now.

BTW busybox kicks ass. I was surprised that even its tar implementation had bzip2 support.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think alot of people would find the migration path easier to deal with if they knew that they needed to do this before they do anything else:

Code:
echo "~sys-apps/coreutils-5.94" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

since coreutils-5.94 is required for glibc 2.4 to be functional on x86, it might be helpful to mark this as a dependency in the ebuild. :idea:
StringCheesian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
since coreutils-5.94 is required for glibc 2.4 to be functional on x86, it might be helpful to mark this as a dependency in the ebuild. :idea:

Sounds bugzilla-worthy.
Grooby
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just letting you guys know, I am doing emerge -e world to see if this fixes my xorg locking up.

I use to get the NVRM XVID lock up problem (mouse moves but X takes up all available cpu resource). Got that fixed, the system was stable, and then glibc 2.4 broke it. emerging xorg didn't seem to help. let see if emerge -e world fixes my problem.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
Bob P wrote:

Sounds bugzilla-worthy.

the problem has already been noted in my bug reports that vapier has dismissed as invalid. QED: bugzilla is a waste of my time. read the forums.
silverter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After emerging glibc-2.5, I can't seem to be able to compile mozilla anymore. I did a emerge -eD --world to solve the issues I had with updating to glibc-2.4. Now these packages would not build for me, (but I'm not sure if it's related to the glibc-2.4 upgrade):

* emerge mozilla quits with this error message, it builds fines on my other glib-2.3.5 box
Code:

/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/config/nsinstall -R -m 755 libxpcomglue_s.a ../../dist/sdk/lib
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom/glue'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom/base'
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -o nsStackFrameUnix.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\" -D_IMPL_NS_COM  -I../../dist/include/string -I../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../dist/include -I/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr        -fPIC  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions  -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -march=pentium4 -pipe -Wno-deprecated -Wno-return-type -w -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -ffunction-sections -O2  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsStackFrameUnix.pp nsStackFrameUnix.cpp
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp: In function `void DumpStackToFile(FILE*)':
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp:96: error: `JB_BP' was not declared in this scope
gmake[3]: *** [nsStackFrameUnix.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom/base'
gmake[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_2] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

* emerge mono-1.1.13.2 quits with this error message:
Code:

config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing runtime/etc/mono/1.0/machine.config commands
config.status: executing runtime/etc/mono/2.0/machine.config commands
configure: configuring in libgc
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr  '--prefix=/usr' '--host=
i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--data
dir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--with-preview=y
es' '--with-tls=__thread' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--cache-file' 'config.cac
he' 'CFLAGS= -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe' 'CXXFLAGS= -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe' 'b
uild_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' --disable-embed-che
ck --with-libgc-threads=pthreads --cache-file=../config.cache --srcdir=.
configure: loading cache ../config.cache
configure: error: `CPPFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ../config.cache' and start ove
r
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for libgc

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/mono-1.1.13.2/work/mono-1.1.13.2/config.log

!!! ERROR: dev-lang/mono-1.1.13.2 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1557:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 966:   Called src_compile
  mono-1.1.13.2.ebuild, line 78:   Called econf '--with-preview=yes' '--with-tls
=__thread'

!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if rel
evant.

can someone help me debug these two builds and find out where to start solving the build problems ?

tnx and regards,
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StringCheesian wrote:
Bob P wrote:

Sounds bugzilla-worthy.

Coreutils 5.94 isn't required to compile nor run glibc 2.4 so such a bug would only be marked invalid. If you're mixing stable/unstable like this you'll have to deal with the consequences yourself. :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that isn't what the bug report was about, so your presumptions about why the bug was closed aren't quite accurate.

on the suject of dependencies, you are absolutely correct. coreutils 5.94 is not required to compile glibc 2.4 or to run it, so its not a dependency for glibc 2.4.

on the other hand, if you deploy glibc 2.4, the deployment of coreutils 5.94 is absolutely necessary in order to have a functional system. unfortunately, this information isn't provided for the user.

one of the biggest deficiencies in Gentoo is the myopic vision among both developers and seasoned users alike about what constiutes a dependency. how anyone sees this depends upon whether their focus is on building one specific package or whether their focus is on building one functional system. if you look at what is required to build an individual package you get one answer, while if you look at what is required to build a functional system you get a different answer. unfortunately, the conceptual design of portage successfully addressed the first problem but failed to even conceptualize the second.

the answer doesn't lie in patronizing other people about mixing stable and testing branch packages. it doesnt' make sense to limit the scope of one's vision that way. some people need to lift up their eyes. this is about being able to see the forest for the trees. :idea:

it would be more meaningful to revise the conceptual model of what constitutes a dependency. the term "hard" dependency could be used to encompass the current definition of packages that are required to build other packages. the term "soft" dependency could be used to define packages that must be used with other packages in order to ensure functionality of the system. by accounting for both types of "dependencies", one could successfully eliminate all of the deficiencies inherent in using Gentoo / Portage.

in the big scheme of things, it all revolves around whether or not one's philosophical objective is limited to maintaining an existing solution in its present state or whether one's philosophical objective focuses upon conceiving a better replacement for it. the absense of seeing the big picture in designing Gentoo is precisely what make gentoo difficult to use for many people. its precisely what fubars a user's migration from one toolkit to another. its precisely what keeps a distribution stagnant instead of moving forward. there's definitely room for improvement here. but then alot of people so focused on understanding Daniel Robbins' vision that it never occurs to them to look beyond it.
Havin_it
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be a few threads I could join, so I hope this one is suitable.

I came up on the 'must use nptlonly' issue, followed by the 'missing or too old: gcc' issue. After reading as many recent gcc-4 threads as possible, I unmasked and emerged gcc-4.1.0 - but now the 'missing or too old: gcc' condition recurs! Here's my whatsit...

Code:
brazil ~ # emerge --info

Portage 2.1_pre5-r4 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-3.3.6, glibc-2.3.6-r3, 2.6.14-hardened-r5 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.14-hardened-r5 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine)
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre16
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5, 2.4.2-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r2
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r3
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-Os -pipe -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /etc/make.conf /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-Os -pipe -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.uk.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X509 a52 aac acl acpi aim apache2 avi berkdb bitmap-fonts clamav crypt cups curl curlwrappers dba dbm dbus dbx dio doc dri dv dvb dvd dvdread eds emboss encode exif fastcgi ffmpeg flash foomaticdb fortran ftp gd gd-external gdbm gif glut gpm gstreamer hal hardened hardenedphp icq imagemagick imlib innodb java javascript jpeg kerberos lcms ldap libg++ libwww mad matroska mikmod ming minimal mmx motif mp3 mpeg mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg oggvorbis pam pcre pdflib perl php png portaudio posix postgres python quicktime readline samba scanner sdl session sharedmem soap spell sse ssl tcpd theora tidy tiff tokeniser tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb vcd vhosts vorbis win32codecs xine xml2 xmms xvid zlib elibc_glibc kernel_linux userland_GNU"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS

Other info: the box is a server with no DE installed, hence the absence of the X use-flag (though X is merged, I just don't use it). The abundance of media-related USE-flags is from my (ultimately fruitless) attempts to run a vlm streamserver.

I apparently have three versions of gcc installed: 3.4.5-r1, 3.3.6 and now 4.1.0. Could this just be a config issue?
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverter wrote:
After emerging glibc-2.5, I can't seem to be able to compile mozilla anymore. I did a emerge -eD --world to solve the issues I had with updating to glibc-2.4. Now these packages would not build for me, (but I'm not sure if it's related to the glibc-2.4 upgrade):

* emerge mozilla quits with this error message, it builds fines on my other glib-2.3.5 box
Code:

/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/config/nsinstall -R -m 755 libxpcomglue_s.a ../../dist/sdk/lib
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom/glue'
gmake[3]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom/base'
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp
i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -o nsStackFrameUnix.o -c -DOSTYPE=\"Linux2.6\" -DOSARCH=\"Linux\" -D_IMPL_NS_COM  -I../../dist/include/string -I../../dist/include/xpcom -I../../dist/include -I/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/dist/include/nspr        -fPIC  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -fno-rtti -fno-handle-exceptions  -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -march=pentium4 -pipe -Wno-deprecated -Wno-return-type -w -fshort-wchar -pthread -pipe  -DNDEBUG -DTRIMMED -ffunction-sections -O2  -DGENTOO_NSPLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsplugins\" -DGENTOO_NSBROWSER_PLUGINS_DIR=\"/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins\"  -DMOZILLA_CLIENT -include ../../mozilla-config.h -Wp,-MD,.deps/nsStackFrameUnix.pp nsStackFrameUnix.cpp
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp: In function `void DumpStackToFile(FILE*)':
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp:96: error: `JB_BP' was not declared in this scope
gmake[3]: *** [nsStackFrameUnix.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom/base'
gmake[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla/xpcom'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_2] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.7.12-r2/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

* emerge mono-1.1.13.2 quits with this error message:
Code:

config.status: creating config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing runtime/etc/mono/1.0/machine.config commands
config.status: executing runtime/etc/mono/2.0/machine.config commands
configure: configuring in libgc
configure: running /bin/sh './configure' --prefix=/usr  '--prefix=/usr' '--host=
i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--data
dir=/usr/share' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--with-preview=y
es' '--with-tls=__thread' '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--cache-file' 'config.cac
he' 'CFLAGS= -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe' 'CXXFLAGS= -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe' 'b
uild_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' --disable-embed-che
ck --with-libgc-threads=pthreads --cache-file=../config.cache --srcdir=.
configure: loading cache ../config.cache
configure: error: `CPPFLAGS' was not set in the previous run
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ../config.cache' and start ove
r
configure: error: /bin/sh './configure' failed for libgc

!!! Please attach the following file when filing a report to bugs.gentoo.org:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/mono-1.1.13.2/work/mono-1.1.13.2/config.log

!!! ERROR: dev-lang/mono-1.1.13.2 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1557:   Called dyn_compile
  ebuild.sh, line 966:   Called src_compile
  mono-1.1.13.2.ebuild, line 78:   Called econf '--with-preview=yes' '--with-tls
=__thread'

!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if rel
evant.

can someone help me debug these two builds and find out where to start solving the build problems ?

tnx and regards,

For gecko based applications that fail with JB_BP, see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=125832. For your mono error, disable confcache in portage for mono only.
s0be
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
that isn't what the bug report was about, so your presumptions about why the bug was closed aren't quite accurate.

on the suject of dependencies, you are absolutely correct. coreutils 5.94 is not required to compile glibc 2.4 or to run it, so its not a dependency for glibc 2.4.

on the other hand, if you deploy glibc 2.4, the deployment of coreutils 5.94 is absolutely necessary in order to have a functional system. unfortunately, this information isn't provided for the user.

one of the biggest deficiencies in Gentoo is the myopic vision among both developers and seasoned users alike about what constiutes a dependency. how anyone sees this depends upon whether their focus is on building one specific package or whether their focus is on building one functional system. if you look at what is required to build an individual package you get one answer, while if you look at what is required to build a functional system you get a different answer. unfortunately, the conceptual design of portage successfully addressed the first problem but failed to even conceptualize the second.

the answer doesn't lie in patronizing other people about mixing stable and testing branch packages. it doesnt' make sense to limit the scope of one's vision that way. some people need to lift up their eyes. this is about being able to see the forest for the trees. :idea:

it would be more meaningful to revise the conceptual model of what constitutes a dependency. the term "hard" dependency could be used to encompass the current definition of packages that are required to build other packages. the term "soft" dependency could be used to define packages that must be used with other packages in order to ensure functionality of the system. by accounting for both types of "dependencies", one could successfully eliminate all of the deficiencies inherent in using Gentoo / Portage.

in the big scheme of things, it all revolves around whether or not one's philosophical objective is limited to maintaining an existing solution in its present state or whether one's philosophical objective focuses upon conceiving a better replacement for it. the absense of seeing the big picture in designing Gentoo is precisely what make gentoo difficult to use for many people. its precisely what fubars a user's migration from one toolkit to another. its precisely what keeps a distribution stagnant instead of moving forward. there's definitely room for improvement here. but then alot of people so focused on understanding Daniel Robbins' vision that it never occurs to them to look beyond it.

I havn't written an e-build in 3 years or so, but when I was doing it, depend was for things that are both run time and compile time dependancies, cdepend for compile time deps, and rdepend for run time deps.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes again and again, but the solution to this problem is that the poor soul, who decides to deploy a ~arch glibc on a stable system, should alone resolve the problems created - as is simple as this.
The developers could not depend on ~arch (in meads of sth like DEPEND="~arch"), as this is the correct solution in this case.
I could understand mixing ~arch gnome or kde with stable system, but if you are using vital parts of the system, which are marked ~arch, then you run a full ~arch system, or you help yourself.
Godsmack
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
For your mono error, disable confcache in portage for mono only.

mono-1.1.13.4 is now in portage, and it's patched to compile with confcache.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know they fixed it. Good to know.
TripleM666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havin_it wrote:
I apparently have three versions of gcc installed: 3.4.5-r1, 3.3.6 and now 4.1.0. Could this just be a config issue?
as your emerge --info shows, your system uses gcc3.3.6 as compiler, not the newer ones. you have to switch to gcc4.1 with
Code:
# gcc-config i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.0
# source /etc/profile
or something alike to use it. that should be the reason, why it complaines about too old gcc.

so long,
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
(...)
(...)
Hi Bob,
I'm currently running glibc 2.4 and
Code:
sys-apps/coreutils
      Latest version available: 5.2.1-r7
      Latest version installed: 5.2.1-r7
on x86 and I've not encountered any significant trouble so far, either compiling or running stuff. GCC is at 3.4.5-r1. Could you elaborate a bit on what exactly makes my system non-functional, so I can fix it? :twisted:

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
Vlad.Sharp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a new install - I mean a new system from scratch - took me 2 days with minimal compile errors using gcc-4.1.0 and glibc-2.4

Using unstable ~x86. The errors I found were:

* objc-gc support needs libgc as a dependency, have to emerge libgc manually
* even with libgc it didn't compile (I didn't waste time trying to compile it again)
* amarok-1.4 needs to have in libdc1394 dependency (1.0) the CLK_TCK changed to CLOCK_PER_SEC (glibc 2.4 removed the macro so I had to edit grab_partial_image.c manually)
* nx-x11 needs to have rmake, gccmakedep and imake as proper dependencies
* Vmware 5.5x needs to be fixed for kernel module compilation with gcc 4.1 (-Werror needs to be removed)

And that's about it! So overall, quite smooth (in my experience). :)

Go glibc-2.4
weedy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad.Sharp wrote:
* amarok-1.4 needs to have in libdc1394 dependency (1.0) the CLK_TCK changed to CLOCK_PER_SEC (glibc 2.4 removed the macro so I had to edit grab_partial_image.c manually)...

grab_partial_image.c: In function `main':
grab_partial_image.c:216: error: `CLOCK_PER_SEC' undeclared (first use in this function)
grab_partial_image.c:216: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
grab_partial_image.c:216: error: for each function it appears in.)

am i missing something?

EDIT: on a hunch i tried CLOCKS_PER_SEC and that worked :D wooo!
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I've been playing around with the new GCC 4.1 compiler and Glibc 2.4 and after reading through the forums I got the system to compile cleanly, but emerge -e world always fails at libsdl. I've got other packages to compile simply by upgrading to the latest versions (libgii, libggi) but when compiling the latest libsdl, I get the following errors
Code:
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0xb7e42da0]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_free+0x84)[0xb7e443d4]
/usr/bin/nasm[0x806ccc6]
======= Memory map: ========
08048000-08080000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8347676    /usr/bin/nasm
08080000-08093000 rw-p 00038000 03:03 8347676    /usr/bin/nasm
08093000-08160000 rw-p 08093000 00:00 0          [heap]
b7c00000-b7c21000 rw-p b7c00000 00:00 0
b7c21000-b7d00000 ---p b7c21000 00:00 0
b7dd0000-b7dda000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8475964    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.0/libgcc_s.so.1
b7dda000-b7ddb000 rw-p 00009000 03:03 8475964    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.0/libgcc_s.so.1
b7ddb000-b7ddc000 rw-p b7ddb000 00:00 0
b7ddc000-b7dde000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8519396    /lib/libdl-2.4.so
b7dde000-b7de0000 rw-p 00001000 03:03 8519396    /lib/libdl-2.4.so
b7de0000-b7ef7000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8519240    /lib/libc-2.4.so
b7ef7000-b7ef9000 r--p 00116000 03:03 8519240    /lib/libc-2.4.so
b7ef9000-b7efb000 rw-p 00118000 03:03 8519240    /lib/libc-2.4.so
b7efb000-b7efe000 rw-p b7efb000 00:00 0
b7f0e000-b7f15000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 7817196    /usr/lib/libsandbox.so.0.0.0
b7f15000-b7f16000 rw-p 00006000 03:03 7817196    /usr/lib/libsandbox.so.0.0.0
b7f16000-b7f19000 rw-p b7f16000 00:00 0
b7f19000-b7f33000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8519405    /lib/ld-2.4.so
b7f33000-b7f34000 r--p 00019000 03:03 8519405    /lib/ld-2.4.so
b7f34000-b7f35000 rw-p 0001a000 03:03 8519405    /lib/ld-2.4.so
bfb1b000-bfb33000 rw-p bfb1b000 00:00 0          [stack]
ffffe000-fffff000 ---p 00000000 00:00 0          [vdso]
../../libtool: line 1211: 22865 Aborted                 sh ../../strip_fPIC.sh /usr/bin/nasm -f elf mmx_main.asm -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/mmx_main.o
make[2]: *** [mmx_main.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
 sh ../../strip_fPIC.sh /usr/bin/nasm -f elf mmxp2_32.asm  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/mmxp2_32.o
/usr/bin/nasm -f elf mmxp2_32.asm -o .libs/mmxp2_32.o
*** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/nasm: double free or corruption (out): 0xb7f38158 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0xb7e7fda0]
/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_free+0x84)[0xb7e813d4]
/usr/bin/nasm[0x806ccc6]
======= Memory map: ========
08048000-08080000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8347676    /usr/bin/nasm
08080000-08093000 rw-p 00038000 03:03 8347676    /usr/bin/nasm
08093000-08160000 rw-p 08093000 00:00 0          [heap]
b7d00000-b7d21000 rw-p b7d00000 00:00 0
b7d21000-b7e00000 ---p b7d21000 00:00 0
b7e0d000-b7e17000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8475964    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.0/libgcc_s.so.1
b7e17000-b7e18000 rw-p 00009000 03:03 8475964    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.0/libgcc_s.so.1
b7e18000-b7e19000 rw-p b7e18000 00:00 0
b7e19000-b7e1b000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8519396    /lib/libdl-2.4.so
b7e1b000-b7e1d000 rw-p 00001000 03:03 8519396    /lib/libdl-2.4.so
b7e1d000-b7f34000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8519240    /lib/libc-2.4.so
b7f34000-b7f36000 r--p 00116000 03:03 8519240    /lib/libc-2.4.so
b7f36000-b7f38000 rw-p 00118000 03:03 8519240    /lib/libc-2.4.so
b7f38000-b7f3b000 rw-p b7f38000 00:00 0
b7f4b000-b7f52000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 7817196    /usr/lib/libsandbox.so.0.0.0
b7f52000-b7f53000 rw-p 00006000 03:03 7817196    /usr/lib/libsandbox.so.0.0.0
b7f53000-b7f56000 rw-p b7f53000 00:00 0
b7f56000-b7f70000 r-xp 00000000 03:03 8519405    /lib/ld-2.4.so
b7f70000-b7f71000 r--p 00019000 03:03 8519405    /lib/ld-2.4.so
b7f71000-b7f72000 rw-p 0001a000 03:03 8519405    /lib/ld-2.4.so
bf859000-bf870000 rw-p bf859000 00:00 0          [stack]
ffffe000-fffff000 ---p 00000000 00:00 0          [vdso]
../../libtool: line 1211: 22899 Aborted                 sh ../../strip_fPIC.sh /usr/bin/nasm -f elf mmxp2_32.asm -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/mmxp2_32.o
make[2]: *** [mmxp2_32.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/libsdl-1.2.9-r1/work/SDL-1.2.9/src/hermes'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/libsdl-1.2.9-r1/work/SDL-1.2.9/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: media-libs/libsdl-1.2.9-r1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 154, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I don't know if this is related or not but on emerge -uDN world it wants to install fontforge, which also will not compile. I found that fontforge is now a dependancy of Wine so I was able to update my system by just cleaning out wine (I have a windows partition so it's not necessary right now) fontforge fails with this
Code:
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -I/usr/include/freetype2/ -I/usr/include/libxml2/ -I../inc -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include/giflib -Wmissing-prototypes -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wparentheses -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -DNOTHREADS -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_ICONV_H=1 -D_HAS_LONGLONG=1 -DFONTFORGE_CONFIG_TYPE3=1 -DFONTFORGE_CONFIG_DEVICETABLES=1 -DLIBDIR=\"/lib\" -c gprogress.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o gprogress.lo
/bin/sh ../libtool i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -I/usr/include/freetype2/ -I/usr/include/libxml2/  -I../inc -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include/giflib -Wmissing-prototypes -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wparentheses -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts  -DNOTHREADS -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_ICONV_H=1 -D_HAS_LONGLONG=1 -DFONTFORGE_CONFIG_TYPE3=1 -DFONTFORGE_CONFIG_DEVICETABLES=1  -DLIBDIR='"/lib"' -c gpsdraw.c
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -I/usr/include/freetype2/ -I/usr/include/libxml2/ -I../inc -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include/giflib -Wmissing-prototypes -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wparentheses -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -DNOTHREADS -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 -DHAVE_ICONV_H=1 -D_HAS_LONGLONG=1 -DFONTFORGE_CONFIG_TYPE3=1 -DFONTFORGE_CONFIG_DEVICETABLES=1 -DLIBDIR=\"/lib\" -c gpsdraw.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o gpsdraw.lo
gpsdraw.c: In function 'PSDrawElipse':
gpsdraw.c:434: fatal error: internal consistency failure
compilation terminated.
Preprocessed source stored into /var/tmp/portage/fontforge-20050624/temp/cc9SqHaM.out file, please attach this to your bugreport.
make[1]: *** [gpsdraw.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/fontforge-20050624/work/fontforge-20050624/gdraw'
make: *** [libgdraw] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-gfx/fontforge-20050624 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 34, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

my emerge info
Code:
Portage 2.0.54 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-4.1.0, glibc-2.4-r1, 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r2
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -march=i686 -fforce-addr -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer -pipe -ffriend-injection -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig candy ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X aac aalib alsa apm audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts browserplugin bzip2 cdr crypt cups directfb divx4linux dri emboss encode exif expat fam fbcon ffmpeg flac foomaticdb fortran fpx gdbm ggi gif glut gmp gpm gs gstreamer gtk gtk2 idn imagemagick imlib jack java jpeg jpeg2k kde lcms libcaca libg++ libwww live lua mad matroska mikmod mmx mng motif mozsvg mp3 mpeg nas ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia offensive ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline real sdl soundtouch spell sse sse2 ssl svg svga tcpd theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev usb vorbis win32codecs wmf xml2 xmms xscreensaver xv xvid zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman: Compile nasm without -fforce-addr, then libsdl will compile. Also I would remove -ffriend-injection, and change -O3 to -O2.
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe thier are some packages that will not compile without -ffriend-injection in the CXXFLAGS. Are you suggesting I use different make.conf profiles for different packages? if so please let me know if there is an easy way to do this and cleanly comile the whole world tree
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: