Blade 1000 and 2.6.15 kernel hanging
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Blade 1000 and 2.6.15 kernel hanging Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have recently aquired a blade 1000 (2x600 UltrasparcIII's) and immediatly dumped solaris and put gentoo on! The install went well and all seemed fine and dandy while doing and emerge -U world type thing (runnning the boot cd's 2.4.31 kernel) Now with my freshly compiled 2.6.15.5 kernel the system hangs innternitently. Using the 2.4 off the cd the system is stable again. At the moment as I'm working of a serial terminal I don't have any crash reports (none in logs) to post but hopefully that should change next time it happens as I have a logger on the line now.

Wierd stuff is that on one occasion the network stack still responded with ssh version on port 22 when telnetting to it but wouldn't make an ssh connection. Stop-A works but once it threw up an error and only a hard reset would resolve the issue.

I have the latest OBP (thiough originally that would solve the problem)

Anyhow my questions are these - Is 2.6 unstable at the moment and what i'm seeing is usual? (uptime ~1min to 2hours) I have seen post on instabilities but none seem conclusive and meantion of sbus based system problems but I didn't think i was one. Also the stability of the 2.4 kernel seems to indicate a sw rather than hw issue maybe a badly configured kernel.

Maybe the system has just gone to sleep as in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-181143-highlight-sleep.html but I can't get it to wake up but then I was only attached via the serial console.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

I'll post any crash reports if a I capture one

Rich
deanx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: i2c Caused over heating Reply with quote

After more tests I noticed that whenever I did stop-a then system fans started up which suddenly surplrised me as i had been working the system quite hard to test stability. After another reboot i noticed the fans stopped when the i2c portion of the kernel started, so I have recompiled without i2c support and the fans are on permanatly. I guess I'll find out if this solves the problem when i get home tonight. It would though explain why i didn't get any crash reports if the hw just stopped the procs when they overheated.

If i have i2c switched on in the kernel do i need some userspace utils to make sure the fans do what they are supposed to? I thought it was just monitoring.

Thanks

Rich
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It monitors and adjusts speed as needed. It runs every five seconds. It locks out useful activity every 2 seconds (which on 2x600 might actually be 3 seconds.) You can build it as a module and load/unload it to experiment.

If you want to play, this is the driver for bbc_envctrl: drivers/sbus/char/bbc_envctrl.c; the polling interval is defined at line 456 as:
#define POLL_INTERVAL (5 * 1000)
(On my system, I changed this to (5 * 1000 * 18 ))
configured thus:
CONFIG_BBC_I2C=m

(And no, there aren't any userspace utilities that I am aware of.)

By the way, my system is SB1000(1x900,1x750), kernel = 2.6.15-gentoo-r4 taken from gentoo-sources. That is a completely stable system.

Regards,
deanx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the 12c causing the problem as once taken out of the kernel the system us stable and completed an emerge -e world without any problems.

I have compiled bbc_i2c as a module and am testing that at the moment but the system did seem quite quiet when I left it but I'll know if it's ok when I get home.

Thanks for your advice

I'll post more if I'm still having problems

Rich
deanx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: dead again Reply with quote

Got home and the sparc is dead again.

i2c doesn't seem to start the fans when the system is too hot! I'm just going to leave it our for now but if anyone has any advice on anything else to try to get it to work input would be apreciated

Rich

This seemed to be the case for both 2.6.15-gentoo-r4 and 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 haven't tried anything earlier
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please convert your observations into a bug assigned to sparc@gentoo.org, making sure to include kernel revisions and hardware configuration as well as the normal information? I doubt if we can trouble-shoot the problem ourselves, but we can use your observations as the basis to the people who can. (I have not seen what you are experiencing, but my system is in a pretty well controlled environment.)

Thanks,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: