View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Nokia 770 Internet Tablet & Maemo.org Reply with quote

Is anyone following this product?

Nokia 770 Internet Tablet

- Easy, broadband access over Wi-Fi.
- A truly portable, elegantly-sized tablet designed for effortless surfing.
- Impressive hi-resolution widescreen display and intuitive interface are optimized for online browsing.

There seems to be a development organization here:
Welcome to maemo.org!

It would be nice to develop or deploy apps onto this platform.
ikke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine on friday, now only need to get some hard drive to be able to install the scratchbox thing, as my first HD is 100%

Its a cool thing :)
brenden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one of these, but apparently they're only shipping in europe :(
Dunster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get one too. Is there a way to cross compile Gentoo on a PC and just upload the stuff needed for runtime onto the unit? Perhaps using Scratchbox and something else? Also, I wonder if there is any protection against bricking it, in case a bad kernel is put on the unit.
ikke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't advice to put some custom-made kernel for it now... There are "official" maemo scripts to create your own rootfs, but AFAIK then you loose all "propriety" applications too (like the browser, the mail client) for which no alternatives are available yet.

Porting apps to it is fairly easy. Just install the scratchbox environment as said in the docs, look around a bit, and you're able to create .deb's for the device. I ported howl and nano already.
Crisis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are shipping to the US now
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikke wrote:
I got mine on friday, now only need to get some hard drive to be able to install the scratchbox thing, as my first HD is 100%

Its a cool thing :)

Can you give us a mini-review? I'm planning to get one for myself as a xmas-present :)
ikke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of reviews on the net... Sometimes I do write something in my blog.
One good overview is the one by RealNitro here. It's Dutch though, the fish might be able to help you...
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikke wrote:
here. It's Dutch though, the fish might be able to help you...

Indeed

Quote:
I must admit that I have doubted to buy N770. 369? much money is hé. But I zat in fact already for months on end to to look out, and I have simply gone for. And now I have him, I it has not yet pitied me. I could be detered in fact especially by the battery. On the site one, says that which but continues 3 hours, and that seemed a beetje little me. But, that has been measured battery time with the baffle on complete brightness, and ongoing wifi activity, a situation which occurs almost never. As I use my N770 now, he a couple goes along days. By day he lies constant to (the opstarttijd are 30 seconden!), with the cover concerning the baffle in my pocket. Then he goes in a type sleep mode in which he consumes little flow. From time to time I take away the cover there then, to surf, or I link him with my computer (to look at what I there all uitkrijg), or I play a game. Nuja, enough which battery. Something concerning the baffle. There is absolutely no similar toestel with such a good baffle. Thus, if you zoekt a toestel to read out digital files, then Nokia 770 real something are for u. I read bvb sites (online or offline), text files, pdf's... and that goes rather go smoothly...

It's a good thing the toestel does not pity him ;).
RealNitro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
ikke wrote:
here. It's Dutch though, the fish might be able to help you...

Indeed

Quote:
I must admit that I have doubted to buy N770. 369? much money is hé. But I zat in fact already for months on end to to look out, and I have simply gone for. And now I have him, I it has not yet pitied me. I could be detered in fact especially by the battery. On the site one, says that which but continues 3 hours, and that seemed a beetje little me. But, that has been measured battery time with the baffle on complete brightness, and ongoing wifi activity, a situation which occurs almost never. As I use my N770 now, he a couple goes along days. By day he lies constant to (the opstarttijd are 30 seconden!), with the cover concerning the baffle in my pocket. Then he goes in a type sleep mode in which he consumes little flow. From time to time I take away the cover there then, to surf, or I link him with my computer (to look at what I there all uitkrijg), or I play a game. Nuja, enough which battery. Something concerning the baffle. There is absolutely no similar toestel with such a good baffle. Thus, if you zoekt a toestel to read out digital files, then Nokia 770 real something are for u. I read bvb sites (online or offline), text files, pdf's... and that goes rather go smoothly...

It's a good thing the toestel does not pity him ;).
:lol:
Crisis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have one of these yet? They have them at CompUSA now.

I've seriously been considering getting one, but I really wanted to see what a linux user thinks of it, as the main appeal to me is having a linux environment available to me, i.e. shell and untils that linux users are more familiar with.

My main conern is that I really also want to use it as a PDA, but so far from what I've been reading, it isn't suited overly well for that task, however it seems the development community around it has been growing quickly. Additionally, I'm wondering if it may not be that hard in fact to get many common linux apps to compile on the ARM architecture.
ikke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before I got one.
Creating packages for it is fairly easy, customising GTK+ applications needs some work though.
I'm not using it as a PDA, but from a Linux user POV, I do like it :) (although some development should be slightly more "open" imho)
Crisis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you find space an issue at all?

Can you use the expansion memory for actual system programs, or is it more of a storage space for your files?
WhiteWolfkiba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I could get SSH and X forwarding on that sucker I would be out there with my next paycheck buying it (or even better freenx/vnc. or even better a whole attachable harddrive, eat your heart out ipod)

"Es geht mir gut wenn mich gute Musik geflasht hat" - Clueso - Gute Musik
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteWolfkiba wrote:
if I could get SSH and X forwarding on that sucker I would be out there with my next paycheck buying it (or even better freenx/vnc. or even better a whole attachable harddrive, eat your heart out ipod)

SSH shouldn't be a problem. Hell, I have SSH on my Nokia 9300 Communicator! As to X-forwarding.... It should work. I remember seeing someone run OpenOffice on the 770 through X-forwarding.
ikke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check RealNitro's blog to find out how to do X forwarding :)
WhiteWolfkiba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikke wrote:

awesome! I am starting to like the idea of buying one lol. I mean shoot this thing has been out in the US what a month and already things are being ported to it and whatnot. I've read alot of complaining about the small ammount of memory though... A simple NFS share would solve that I reckon. or perhaps SSHFS, downside to that is, no wifi no HD.

I looked at the maemo project and somthing I am sitting here woundering about is kismet has anyone heard about kismet getting ported to this yet? Or if its even possible ? I dunno about yall but when I think of somthing that runs linux and is handheld, I automagically think about kismet.

"Es geht mir gut wenn mich gute Musik geflasht hat" - Clueso - Gute Musik
RealNitro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhiteWolfkiba wrote:
ikke wrote:

awesome! I am starting to like the idea of buying one lol. I mean shoot this thing has been out in the US what a month and already things are being ported to it and whatnot. I've read alot of complaining about the small ammount of memory though... A simple NFS share would solve that I reckon. or perhaps SSHFS, downside to that is, no wifi no HD.

I looked at the maemo project and somthing I am sitting here woundering about is kismet has anyone heard about kismet getting ported to this yet? Or if its even possible ? I dunno about yall but when I think of somthing that runs linux and is handheld, I automagically think about kismet.
Check this page. It seems like kismet will not run because of some firmware limitation.
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RealNitro wrote:
WhiteWolfkiba wrote:
ikke wrote:

Check this page. It seems like kismet will not run because of some firmware limitation.

No promiscuous mode! Those bastards.

Anyways, I just discovered this device. I was wondering how easy it is to input text. It looks like it has some sort of touchscreen keyboard?

Are there any comparable devices that are better?
bushvin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got mine 2 days ago... (and writing this entry with it, yeah, I like to show off)
allucid wrote:
Anways, I just discovered this device. I was wondering how easy it is to input text. It looks like it has some sort of touchscreen keyboard?

you can either use an on-sceen keyboard, or use plain old handwriting.
The advantage of using the keyboard is that it also suggests words while you write.
Whitewolfkiba wrote:
wesome! I am starting to like the idea of buying one lol. I mean shoot this thing has been out in the US what a month and already things are being ported to it and whatnot. I've read alot of complaining about the small ammount of memory though... A simple NFS share would solve that I reckon. or perhaps SSHFS, downside to that is, no wifi no HD.

I found a page on the web covering adding a disk... here's the link haven't tried it yet, but I will certainly in the near future...

I'll now return to playing with my new toy...
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple more questions! :)

Is there any effort to get Gentoo on this or is the stock setup sufficient?

Is it able to stream video? This seems like an ideal device to be paired with a MythTV box. It has a touch screen so it could be used as an enanced controller for MythTV as well as for streaming. It would be nice to be able to watch TV on this device while on my home LAN.

I can't seem to find it online anywhere under $379. The demand seems to have bumped the price above retail.
kurppa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allucid wrote:
Is it able to stream video? This seems like an ideal device to be paired with a MythTV box. It has a touch screen so it could be used as an enanced controller for MythTV as well as for streaming. It would be nice to be able to watch TV on this device while on my home LAN.

The included video player can only stream RealVideo, but someone is allready porting VLC to the 770.

Someone mentioned kismet earlier, the new firmware enables monitor mode and Kismet is allready ported:
http://piipiip.net/~nchip/kismet-n770.jpg

More info - Maemo Wiki:
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/
allucid
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I bought one and I've been playing with it for the past few days. :)
mikecore
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Nokia 770 Reply with quote

Hello All its been a while since the last post to this fourm however, I just got my Nokia 770 a few weeks ago. I already have
Root and ssh kismet gaim and many other applications running on it.

I don't like the gui or the Opera web browser.

I would love to install Gentoo and make a very slick and minimalist gui for my 770

Im thinking

1)Custom kernel made just for the 770 with everything built in.
2)a very slim and trim Xorg with FVWM window manager. No icons just a menu. with a tranparent xterm.
3)Minimo for the web browser
4) conky for a system monitor
5) Rox filemanager
6) gaim for IM
7) Mplayer for audio/video
8) vi for text editing
9) ssh
10) nmap
11) kismet
12)samba

Basicly a completely custom Gentoo Nokia Tablet. Now that would be sweet!
Icer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here's a mini howto for setting up the maemo sdk. Suggestions and corrections are welcome! TIA.

As a pre-requisite you should install layman since there are no 'official ebuilds' yet you can get scratchbox and most necesary packages from sunrise overlay. To install layman etc see sunrise project page. Update sunrise overlay after install.

The first step is to install scratchbox and other tools. Before one can do that you must unmask them. So add the below lines into /etc/portage/package.keywords:
Code:
sys-devel/scratchbox ~x86
sys-devel/scratchbox-devkit-debian ~x86
sys-devel/scratchbox-toolchain-cs2005q3_2-glibc ~x86

In order to be able to compile arm compatible stuff add these use flags in /etc/portage/package.use
Code:
sys-devel/scratchbox-toolchain-cs2005q3_2-glibc arm i386

Next emerge the packages:
Code:
# emerge -av scratchbox scratchbox-devkit-debian scratchbox-toolchain-cs2005q3_2-glibc

Some post install configuration:
Code:
emerge --config =sys-devel/scratchbox-0.9.8.8

Add the user you normally use for the sbox group. You can add root too but I dont think it's necessary. In fact it could be a bad idea from the security POV to setup root too.

Start scratchbox:
Code:
/etc/init.d/scratchbox start

NOTE: You might need to logout and login at some point in order to apply some changes. Sorry dont remember which step required this. If someone knows some neat trick to avoid the relogin stuff then enlighten us.

Now you should have the scratchbox prompt in front of you. Basicly that's it for installing the scratchbox. You should now continue using the maemo sdk install tutorial from the 'Installing Scratchbox' and from there start from step 7. forwards. The url for the tutorial http://www.maemo.org//platform/docs/tutorials/Maemo_tutorial.html

A short description on what's in the tutorial and what is left to do:
One should download the i386 rootstrap and later on the arm rootstrap. For the i386 rootstrap I used this Maemo_Dev_Platform_v2.0_i386-rootstrap.tgz package since I couldnt find the one which was mentioned in the maemo tutorial. Basicly you should avoid the v1.1 and v1.0 versions since they are deprecated but provided nevertheless.
Follow the maemo instructions on howto setup the rootstrap.

Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting xephyr install
If you get some error message like:
Code:
[sbox-SDK_PC: ~] > ./start-xephyr.sh &
[1] 25585
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Xephyr cannot open host display. Is DISPLAY set?

Then allow x connections for local user like this:
Code:
 # xhost +local:username
non-network local connections being added to access control list

Then xephyr should start ok. However again I dunno if that xhost change could cause security problems.

TODO: I have yet to try the arm rootstrap install but I dont think it's going to be a big problem.

Have fun! :D

In Gentoo the install part seems to be the easiest part. Then coding is another matter. :lol:

Hmm... ok so maybe I should post this on tips & tricks instead or the unsupported sw forum. This is'nt after all a howto for installing gentoo into 770 but for installing the maemo sdk in gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: