2.5.69 on a Dell 8200
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: 2.5.69 on a Dell 8200 Reply with quote

hey all, been running gentoo on this puppy for a while now, but I decided to give 2.5 a try and thought I'd let you know how it goes.

So far, everyhting is working quite well. I've got the GeForce 440 card in this, and after updating nvidia-kernel and glx as usual after a kernel compile, X is working great. USB and cdrom are also working fine, although I have yet to try burning CD's yet. I hear that SCSI emulation under 2.5 is borked, but that I may not need it. Anyone that has any info on this please let me know, I'll prob be futzing with it in the next day or so.

Ethernet and my various 802.11 cards are working fine as expected, but I'm having some issues with my FrameBuffer.

Under Graphics I've got "support for frame buffer devices" checked, "VGA text console", "Video mode selection support", "Framebuffer Console support", "VESA VGA graphics support" and "nVidia Riva support" compiled in. But my "vga=838" flag in my lilo.conf that I love so dearly (sweet 1600x1200 console), doesn't seem to please 2.5 very much.

So for the moment I'm booting into 2.4 to do my work, and 2.5 when I have some downtime to see if I can get anything working. I'll update this when I mess around with sound/apm/burning later.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You' ve chosen 2 framebuffer devices; Vesa and Nvidia. You should choose just one. The VGA= statement belongs to the Vesa framebuffer.
Nvidia uses something like video=riva:1024*768@65 (this one is not correct at all, but it looks like it; please search the forum for an accurate description).

I use scsi emulation (2.5.69) for my CDR's and it is working just like a 2.4 kernel.

[edit typo's]

Last edited by AlterEgo on Fri May 09, 2003 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
fury
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks. I had them both enabled and 2.4 and it didn't bother me about it, but you were right, sticking to just Vesa is currently working fine. SCSI emulation also looks good, although I don't have any cd-rs handy to completely test it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: