PCMCIA problem with Xircom card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: PCMCIA problem with Xircom card Reply with quote

Hi,

You must read abour this problem a zillion times, but I can't get my PCMCIA network card to work on my laptop. I'm using Gentoo 1.4 rc4 and a Xircom PCMCIA network card. Everything works pefectly as long as I'm booting from the live-cd, but when I boot my system it just doesn't work :(.

I did everything according to this guide: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=26716 but my laptop seems to hang for a while while it says

cardmgr[2433]: executing ./network start eth0

and then shows an error message (start command ended with status 14).

I'm loading i82365 and ds in modules.autoload successfully and whit lsmod i can see the drivers are loaded (serial_cs, xirc2ps_cs, ds, i82365, pcmcia_core).

I really like Gentoo on my PC which I installed 2 weeks ago and I'd love to get it to work on my laptop too to get rid of Windows once & for all ;).

I'd REALLY appreciate if you could help me get this to work !

Thanx, Chris
darket
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the xircom_cb module / option on my Laptop - with a 10/100+Modem Combo-Card.

Have a try with that one.
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

If I'm right, the circom card is a modem/isdn card. Have you checked if this card wants interrupts wich are assigned elsewhere (check syslog)

In my case the sedlbauer card wants irq10 wich is assigned as shared pci interrupt, but hisax doesn't do interrupt sharing...

Greetings
Ulf
chris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darket wrote:
I use the xircom_cb module / option on my Laptop - with a 10/100+Modem Combo-Card.

Have a try with that one.

i tried to boot the live-cd to see which modules are used there (since the live-cd worked perfectly) and there also the xirc2ps_cs module was used, so I guess that is the right one.
But how can I tell the system which module to use anyway ? I tried to load the xircom_cb module in /etc/modules.autoload but it said the module can't be found.

Chris
chris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dambacher wrote:
Hi Chris

If I'm right, the circom card is a modem/isdn card. Have you checked if this card wants interrupts wich are assigned elsewhere (check syslog)

In my case the sedlbauer card wants irq10 wich is assigned as shared pci interrupt, but hisax doesn't do interrupt sharing...

Greetings
Ulf

the xircom card is a modem/isdn/network card, yes. I looked through the messages in /var/log but didn't find anything related to pcmcia-problems.

Sorry for this n00b question (I'm using Linux & Gentoo for 2 weeks now), but how can I determine which irq's are currently in use and which irq's have a conflict ? And if there is a conflict how can I manually assign an irq to the xircom card ?

Thanx,

Chris
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interrupts and wich cards use what:
Code:
cat /proc/interrupts

Messages of boot time show interrupt settings, too:
Code:
dmesg

And please post your syslog part where cardmgr finds the card and tries to load the modules. Maybe there is some hisax message like "could not get IRQ 11" or some message about incorrect module parameters.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: