Idea: Emerge Sync
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syscrash
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Idea: Emerge Sync Reply with quote

I really hate how long it takes to do an emerge sync, and I had a thought. Why don't they implement a plain text file that has the listing of packages, so it will download that file and replace your old one every time you run emerge sync? Just an idea, but I think it would speed up the sync process considerably.
modal
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my undrstanding of rsync, rsync is so great because it ONLY d/l the files that need updating, not any others.
b0d0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Idea: Emerge Sync Reply with quote

syscrash2k wrote:
I really hate how long it takes to do an emerge sync, and I had a thought. Why don't they implement a plain text file that has the listing of packages, so it will download that file and replace your old one every time you run emerge sync? Just an idea, but I think it would speed up the sync process considerably.

Personally i'd be inclined to disagree...

If you were to search through a text file for an app it would take ages, iin comparisont to the searching speeds of a tree.

Take this example, if we have a file of say 10000 packages. And we need to find a package that is say three quarters of hte wway through. You would need to check 7500 packages before it came to the one you were looking for.

If we take a tree, constructed of the packages available then if the tree were a binary tree as a simple example, we can discard almost half of the packages during the search making it much faster to find the package that needs to be updated.

I can only assume this is how portage works at the moment.

I think that the current portage system is as fast as it can be at the moment.
pYrania
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a better solution would be downloading a plain text file with package info as in --search that gets parsed into a database.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: